Greenwich devastation

Chimira

Started down at Greenwich sailing club around 8 last night with some fresh yakkas and some 2 day old calamari tube with little success. Some guys leaving gave me 2 nice fresh inkers so I through one out as strip with little attention and the other. ( A big fella about 35cm tube) stuffed him with 2 little pillys (some guy on you tube calls it pilly in a condom).

It was about 50 below zero with the wind chill so I was sitting in the car only to look up and see my spoiled reel and 14ft rod disappear over the railing leaving behind only half a cracked guide.

Anyone who catches a monster Jew or bull with a rod and reel attached I would like my saltiga back.

After some extensive swearing and cursing and general tantruming I moved up to the ferry wharf the harbour decided to give a little back picked up three 35+ bream 34 and 37 Taylor and a 45 cm pike.

Ouch!! I'm always amazed fishing jetties how many people just leave there rods sitting like that.

Berkley make a clamp on rod holder that works well on any jetty with square rails to clamp it to and is only about $20 i think. I know its a bit late for that advice now though...

R

Condolences... Hope you get a suitable replacement soon.

Well my last boat trip out on the harbour, i lost my wedding ring :( it was hard to explain to the mrs how i managed to lose it, but we did bag out on fish. One expensive trip tho

Well my last boat trip out on the harbour, i lost my wedding ring :( it was hard to explain to the mrs how i managed to lose it, but we did bag out on fish. One expensive trip tho

Argh that's terrible. I know that feeling...

I know how u feel...I lost my fav combo off rocks recently...I still miss it even though I bought 2 set of combo to replace it...I lost it on easter monday this yr...I always make sure that it wont happen again...

I also lost a rod and reel last week on the public holiday fishing in pittwater....one of my trusty 7footers and a large beach reel jumped straight out of the holder on the boat while i was fighting a bronzie.. seems there is a bit of tackle on the loose around the place at the moment! good work on the bream and pike though.

reubs

Sorry to hear mate. Hope you catch the fish that ran away with it.

I lost mine a while back. Thought, well the fish must have not taken it far??

Tied on 2 heavy sinkers to a heavy line. Threw out the line with a slow retrieve, after the 4th cast up comes my rod and reel! and a bonus, the bream was still on the line

Explanation please - how can you lose a wedding ring while fishing???

I almost lost mine while on our honeymoon. Handline fishing for small kings at Balds Pyramid (Lord Howe Island). Fish went for a big run, line caught up on my ring finger, pulled off ring and deeply cut finger. All I saw was this sparkle go over the side of the boat and the sound of my wifes hand slamming against the outside of the hull. She looks at me with THAT look............and slowly shows me her unfolding hand with ring in it. !! PHEW !!

Ever since my ring goes on my chain around my neck when I'm fishing, swimming, gardening etc etc........

She still reminds me of this 27 years later

Jim...

• 5 months later...

Explanation please - how can you lose a wedding ring while fishing???

Was cold, and i guess when i had it made,it was quite fitted.I knew after a few cast,with the motion of the rod and the cool weather, must have shrunk my finger.It came off twice,so i pocketed my ring, thinking its the best option to hold on to it....think again, after quite a few fish, and quite a few beers, i thought, well maybe the pocket isnt the best option, few brews might not remeber where it is, so what do i do, first instinct, put the ring back on. and before i knew it ,cast out and motion just slipped the ring, i can still see it "in slow motion" th cast and actioin the movement o my arm i can still see the scene inside my head. flicking the rod and seeing that vision of the ring coming off,and going overboard. well , imagine trying to expain to the mrs, what happend! it was an expalination, well trust me, tring to expalin...and out fishing when this happend...oh god!

One of the regulars that I used to fish with at a pier bought a brand new reel only to see it get pulled over the edge by a fish after he forgot to set the drag. First bite that the reel had ever experienced and it went straight over the side into the water haha.

About 2 hours later someone further along the pier hooked up onto his fishing rod/reel but was having trouble lifting it up onto the pier. The guy who lost the reel proceeded to jump straight into the water to make sure he didn't lose it again and he couldn't even swim haha! Luckily for him there was a pontoon close by so it all turned out well in the end.

Great threat full of not so great stories. Sorry to hear the loss of any outfit, especially that one.... Seen 3 rods go in the drink over my time, and always teather mine so I dont join the list. Cheap piece of rope and clip privide a cheap and easy solution. It has saved one of my rods, but from a wave not a fish....