Surprising Catch off the Rocks

Mousse

After a couple of weeks where my days off aligned with the huge swells and heavy rain - I was itching to get back onto the rocks again.

I bought a kilo of Raw Banana prawns lat night, up at a quarter past five and on the rocks by 6:15am. I was rugged up, rigged up, burlyed up and ready to go! I noticed that the water was very dirty from the rains we've just had, but I have no idea if this makes a big difference to the fish or types of fish showing up.

I was chasing my usual suspects - Pigs, Groper and Bream or Tarwhine. Peeled a prawn, on it went onto the Mustad 542 and finally my first cast in 2 weeks! The first hour was slow, but I usually have luck in the mornings 2 hours either side of the tide changes, and low tide was at 9.30am this morning,

Right on cue, I get a big hit and hook up. I though at first Tarwhine - as my last couple of visits I've landed 40cm plus models from the same spot on the same bait (prawns and cunje) and the fight felt exactly the same. When it started to come to the surface I saw a red color which had me doing that quick guessing thing you do as you're reeling in a fish. Snapper? It couldn't be it didn't fight like one and I've never seen any caught from this spot. As I pulled it up over the edge I was very surprised! A 42.5cm Red Morwong! I have never caught one before, and I guess I must be watching too many fishing shows and reading too many mags to have guessed it. Very distinctive for those who've seen or caught them before.

There was another fisho there, a nice bloke, who was walking by, and he said he'd caught one off the rocks thirty years ago and never seen them caught off the rocks here before, only the reef.

The rest of the day was tough - the wind picked up a little and changed to a Northerly which made it a bit uncomfortable. So I decided to call it a day, pack up and go home and cook my fish! Very tasty indeed!

post-18191-0-89127800-1372759698_thumb.jpg

post-18191-0-65564500-1372759721_thumb.jpg

That fish was too beautiful to eat. I believe an aquarium may have given you a hundred dollars for that fish alive. The fish meat is white and very moist ,looks like it was cooked to perfection.

I have caught them in the corner of Yarra Bay at the right near rocks on beach down from the Yarra Bay Sailing Club.

I have also jagged them at Kurnell fishing the gutter to the right of the old sewerage outlet on the rising tide late in the afternoon I was using red crabs for bait chasing bream, as years ago this used to be a top bream spot fishing from late afternoon till dark.

Howsy