Anchoring

damariboyz

Hi Guys

I notice an increasing number of boaties without chain on the anchor. Some say it keeps the racket down so as not to spook the fish. I was always under the impression that it was a neccesity to have 1-2 metres of chain. What is your feeling on this issue.

Regards Russ

Guest bluecod
Hi Guys

I notice an increasing number of boaties without chain on the anchor. Some say it keeps the racket down so as not to spook the fish. I was always under the impression that it was a neccesity to have 1-2 metres of chain. What is your feeling on this issue.

Regards Russ

61353[/snapback]

The experts [whoever they are] recommend an anchor chain the length of the boat. The weight of the chain lying partially on the bottom creates a horizontal pull on the anchor ensuring it does its job properly.

I use about 4 metres of chain on my sand anchor and have not had a problem with dragging at all, however I don't use chain on my reef pick as I have had the chain snag up, but I do let out rope at least twice the depth of water so the pick has a fair chance of grabbing and then set it by hand [not just letting it drag and hoping for the best]. Any less rope than this I find a swell may lift the pick off the reef, requiring you to reset the anchor frequently.

I also use a breakaway at the rear of the reef pick so if it does snag up, a couple of hard vertical pulls snaps the breakaway and the anchor is then lifted from where the rope is attached [base of the prongs].

The chain just supplies weight to keep the shank of the anchor down flat & help it bite with both reef & sand anchors. I much preferred to fill the shank of my reef picks with lead & use it without chain especially fishing in shallow water in close for Snapper. I found when I started out & was using chain on my reef pick that very often the chain itself would slip into cracks & snag up rather than the reef pick itself & end up losing the lot. I never lost a pick after ditching chain.

With sand anchors you can use a weight about 6 feet up from the shank in preference to chain as well. I never bothered though as I rarely used a sand anchor offshore.

PS - If you don't use one already get a anchor lift buoy & clip for retreiving your anchor offshore it saves a lot of work in deep water.

Guest bluecod
"I also use a breakaway at the rear of the reef pick so if it does snag up,"

Bluecod, More info please?

Howard.

61364[/snapback]

Howard,

Attach your anchor rope to the base of the prongs with the use of a shackle/welded loop and tie the rope off to the eye of the anchor with some twine, string or shred of cloth that can be broken when you pull up on the rope. When the string breaks the anchor rope is still attached directly to the front part of the anchor and the changed angle of pull on the anchor allows the anchor to generally slip out from whatever it was under.

so the best way to anchor outside is with a pick with cable ties around the shaft,no chain and an anchor bouy with clip as nearly everytime i anchor up it takes ages to drive the stupid thing off the bottom.

will this reduce the hassle of anchoring?

Guest bluecod
will this reduce the hassle of anchoring?

61484[/snapback]

It will, I also find the prongs on most of the commercially made reef picks way too thick.

I've made my reef pick out of a suitable length of 2" gal. pipe and welded 4 pieces of 5/16" [approx 8mm] rod to it [surplus from a bit of reo mesh], I've then bent the rod to the grapple hook shape. Even in the event of a prong or two getting stuck, its not that much drama to straighten them, then bend them back to shape when retrieved. If you're making your own up, don't make the prongs too long otherwise they have too much spring in them and have trouble biting in.

Since changing to a Moloolabah (spelling?) pick I get a grip every time with no chain and with the cable tie trick it never got stuck. I'd never go back to a sand anchor as I had no end of trouble with them, always bloody dragging.

That was until my brother in law borrowed my boat and decided to let out 55m of a 50m rope!!!!

Hi Guys,

This trick with the rope being attached to the prongs of the reef anchor sounds good, but im having a little trouble picturing it.

Could anyone pls post a couple of pictures of this set up to help me out.

Brett

Guest bluecod

I've quickly set up up an old anchor with a shackle and a piece of wool to give you the right idea

post-106-1123825050_thumb.jpg

A couple of hard yanks on the anchor rope breaks away the tie at the back of the anchor and you pull it up from the prong end. As you can see that is one very old anchor and it is still with me.

Edited by bluecod

Some anchors actually come equipped with a ring near the prongs so you shackle the line to the ring and then put the cable tie where Bluecod has.

Some anchors actually come equipped with a ring near the prongs so you shackle the line to the ring and then put the cable tie where Bluecod has.

62382[/snapback]

Yep my main anchor has one of these. Its a Mooloolabah pick. I use plenty of chain and the cable tie system and it nearly always holds and I have been able to get it off everytime so far.

Interesting thoughts on chain V no chain. I jump over the side of my boat a bit (diving) and the chain definitely helps hold the boat.

Like some have said though you can hear the anchor chain "clinking" underwater - does it scare the fish off? I guess thats up to personal opinion - there are plenty of other sounds underwater and its hard (for humans) to hear the anchor once you are more than about 20m away (ask any scuba diver trying to refind his anchor for ascent).

The main thing I want to add is to remember an anchor is part of your safety gear. Its all great and fine to have an anchor that holds you when the weather is average or good but is still easy to get off. But remember you also need something that will hold you if something goes wrong when the weather is poor. For example if a southerly blows up and the motor won't start.

Edited by mark_s

The cable ties are a good trick but I've never found it neccessary for reef anchors so far as they tend to bend out anyway. I've bent a few sand anchors out of place when I should have been using the cable ties, they are a good idea. I tried ken's trick of no chain and my anchor got stuck the very first time. :074: Chain for me, but only a couple of metres. :thumbup:

mark_s,

Where did you get your Mooloolabah pick from mate? They are the best anchor I've ever used but I've had no luck finding a replacement.

CHeers

Iain

Iain

I think it was from Harbourside Marine in Coffs Harbour. I will be up there this weekend and will get their brochure to see if they still have them. (I only got mine 18 months ago so they should have em)

Will let you know next week.

Edited by mark_s

Mate you're a bloody legend!!! Thanks for following that up.

I'm restoring my boat out at the moment so I'll definitely order a pick form them plus, depending on his prices, I'll have plenty of other stuff to order as well.

Speaking of boat supplies, you'd reckon the likes of Bias or Whitworths would get great value out of supporting this site.