Flathead and Squid outside Port Hacking

Pongrass18ft

Hi Raiders

Headed out today with Meng (gonfishing) to drift for flathead down South. The drifts were awesome and the flathead were plentiful once found, pulling up two at a time on most drops. Bait used was squid strips and pilchard cubes on a paternoster rig with a 6oz sinker. We gathered our bag limits really quick and then spent the rest of the day gathering some squid and trying our luck with the snapper.

We came across a good patch of squid and managed to get a really good feed which we were stoked about. Only managed one snapper that was in the 30's losing a few good snapper to the reefs.

It was great to be out on the water today. Conditions were great and the leatherjackets weren't of any trouble on the drift.

Chris

post-13990-0-17371600-1376217993_thumb.jpg

post-13990-0-32898600-1376218010_thumb.jpg

Well done Chris. Do these flatties hang around all year long or are they seasonal?

BTW What dephts did you get the squid?

As long as the leatherjacket don't hammer you first the flatties are on all year,even the tiger flatties all the way out to over 300ft in water.

With the squid yesterday we picked up squid in close along the ocean rocks,making sure plenty of kelp was to be seen , depth was 16ft-35ft.

Chris.

Good feed there Chris. Headed out early myself yesterday because of the good weather report, only to find the wind roaring out the mouth of Port Hacking, which made for a fast drift. Only 1 decent bite that did not hook up, no other hits so headed back early.

Good feed there Chris. Headed out early myself yesterday because of the good weather report, only to find the wind roaring out the mouth of Port Hacking, which made for a fast drift. Only 1 decent bite that did not hook up, no other hits so headed back early.

Dave I left my sea anchor at home yesterday so I threw out my two xl buckets and tied them off,they slowed the boat down really good.If that didn't work the bloody esky would of went out as a sea anchor :lol::lol::lol:

Around 10 o'clock or so the wind dropped off so much there was basically no drift down along the cliffs.

At least the jackets are letting us enjoy a few good drifts

Chris.

Hi there, what sort of rig do you like to use with squid jigs, thank you.

Hi leonardgid,

My rig is 15lb braid mainline and a 20lb XL leader fluorocarbon,Crystal blue 3-6kg rods,squid jigs of choice are the quality brands daiwa or yamashita ,sizes are 3.0 up to 4.0 depending on wind and structure in area you decide to squid.

Chris.

Dave I left my sea anchor at home yesterday so I threw out my two xl buckets and tied them off,they slowed the boat down really good.If that didn't work the bloody esky would of went out as a sea anchor :lol::lol::lol:

Around 10 o'clock or so the wind dropped off so much there was basically no drift down along the cliffs.

At least the jackets are letting us enjoy a few good drifts

Chris.

Out the front of the Port, the wind dropped a bit, so I headed back out to the drift area, and the bloody wind picked up as soon as I dropped over, so I headed home with the shits and no fish. Had an idea the wind might eventually drop, but I was not going to wait about. Headed back just after 9am.

Edited by yowie

Hi leonardgid,

My rig is 15lb braid mainline and a 20lb XL leader fluorocarbon,Crystal blue 3-6kg rods,squid jigs of choice are the quality brands daiwa or yamashita ,sizes are 3.0 up to 4.0 depending on wind and structure in area you decide to squid.

Chris.

Thank you for sharing .