Finally going to get one

Witha

Hi Raiders, going to grab one of those entry rage Kayaks, for the price I can't see a reason not to!

Question is, which one...confusing as about 10 different sites sell the new cheapo yaks, but some seem slightly different / was hoping to gain some Raider feedback as I know a few of you have picked them up (Scratchie for example)

Yeah i know its a much of a muchness but the VX tiger one is made by different people / think its slightly longer and thinner? And the other two i think are the same. Anyone have a company they got theirs off / service / delivery / general legitimacy review?

Thanks guys any little gems of wisdom appreciated

(Also, can someone explain the 'stakeout pole' setup that some of you use? eg Roberta?)

Cheers

Witha

Hey witha,

I find the yak awesome! Value for money, stable 8/10. It weighs 22kg so pretty easy to carry and throw in anywhere. I bought it from eeebay for $369 in newcastle. They deliver anywhere for $45

Guess its up to the driver what they can do, but I think they are solid units! I put an electric on mine and it goes great.

Make sure you you try to haggle them on price too! I asked and they took off $20 and because I was close went and picked it up. That saved me $65.

Cheers scratchie!!!

Hi Witha

Whatever yak you choose - just make sure you TRY IT ON THE WATER ...... BEFORE you buy it!

DON'T GO ON PRICE ALONE!

If the price is worrying you - ask the family to give 'donations towards the yak' instead of a present this Xmas (and your birthday!) Put that $$ towards your yak & get what you WANT, not what you think you can afford!!

The length & model will depend on what style of fishing you want to do. You really need a 4m+ yak for offshore, whereas a 3m will be fine for inshore, estuaries and dams. Your size also comes in to it - if you are 'slight build' you can get away with the smaller yaks. If you are a 'bigger build' you may need a longer more sturdy yak. Each yak has a 'weight restriction'. You need to test it on the water, leaning left & right, to get the 'stability feel'. You need to be confident in the yak that you choose. If you hop on & immediately think 'whooops, I feel tippy' ..... it may not be the yak for you!! Try another one!

A stakeout pole is only needed if you will be fishing shallow waters, like estuaries, where there is not much flow. The pole can be attached to a sliding rig if you want to adjust the yak position (my 'sliding rig/anchor trolley' is 2xD shackles & 2xpulleys with rope that is tied from the front handle to the rear handle) but usually, I just put it thru the bungee strap that is there to hold the paddle in place. It is no good in deep water.

Just google 'stakeout pole' and 'anchor trolley' and there will be heaps of pics showing you how to do it.

cheers & happy hunting!

Roberta

Thanks guys! (Sorry Jewhunter) Yeah not planning on offshoring so I think I can get away with a 3m. Trying one out this weekend that a mate just bought so hopefully all goes well!

Haha already working on the girlfriend for a pitch in :P she's a tough nut to crack! "If I help you get it you'll spend even more time on your !@#$ fishing!!" Hmm. Damn her logic!

Cheers

Witha

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

Thanks guys! (Sorry Jewhunter) Yeah not planning on offshoring so I think I can get away with a 3m. Trying one out this weekend that a mate just bought so hopefully all goes well!

Haha already working on the girlfriend for a pitch in :P she's a tough nut to crack! "If I help you get it you'll spend even more time on your !@#$ fishing!!" Hmm. Damn her logic!

Cheers

Witha

Just tell her it's the same price as her hairdo!!!

Then again, don't because she's probably lying to you about the cost of that! Lol

Haha! If I spent as much on a yak as she does on clothes and hair i would be getting a hobie, elec motor, and gold plated fishing rods....somehow I don't think telling her that would improve my chances though?? :P

Awesome mate yeah think I'm set on it! Keep me posted on your adventures! Got a trailer so hoping it'll ride well just strapped to that if not the old commodre is getting a new set of racks!