interesting species on blades

swamper95

Im convinced that blades can catch any fish that eat other fish . Ive been fishing for tha good part of 30 years.

Althought only 5 years with blades . Ive never caught let alone seen these two species of fish.Untill now(caught in middle harbour.) Im very interested if any one else has seen or caught one of these in Sydney?

The red one is a Red Bullseye. Found from southern QLD northwards

The yellow is a Maori cod found along the Great Barrier Reef

Subtropical species in MH... I wonder if the water has been warming or if they've always been here in small numbers? You should send the pics to a uni (the fish tagging folks?) and ask.

On blades, how do you handle them on snaggy bottoms? I love them too but they're bloody expensive to lose!

Never realy loose them sv. I mostly virtical jigg them out of the kayak. I could understand loosing some from the shore

Check out the DUO Score 78 poss the best looking vibe ive ever seen

I got some from the US havent given it a good go yet

First one is a red bigeye not a bullseye. Every year a few seem to show up and i've pulled a few from the Hacking on bait over the years. http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/index.php?showtopic=68989&hl=bigeye#entry482086

Second ones interesting.

As for random catches on blades I had a mate on board one night who pulled in about 5 or 6 yaka's on his blade which i've never seen before or since.

R

That's really interesting that you caught those fish in MH. The water temp in the harbour wouldn't be constant enough to keep a sustainable habitat for those species.... You should definitely send pics and info to the fisheries or DII... Cool catch though ;)

I have sent pics to fisheries apparently a Red bullseye and a big red eye are the same fish .

The bullseye and the mauri cod are deep reef fish mostly caught in northern waters (QLD)but have been caught as south as javis bay

Thanks for all you posts!!

Interesting, the EAC / global warming side effects probably. It is not so surprising I reckon, heaps of fishes are following the warm currents and as long as they find food they are happy. Last year I swam with a turtle in the harbour, caught 2 thick lip trevallies and a long spined emperor on plastic, the year before, an estuary cod. Every year seems to deliver its new lot of surprises.

Well done anyway, there is always something exhilarating about catching a "new" species of fish, that red thing looks tasty as btw ;)

Gatts Try the tt switchblades gold noggin and red nightmare. I rig up with 16lb gell spun and a 14lb flurocarbon leader

Fish just like SPs little jiggs and pulls off bottom with as little slack as poss. Good luck !!

Thanks mate, will have a look for these and pick a few that look dangerous haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk