Pittwater outing - flattie, whiting and snapper ..... 1 king

arpie

Hi guys

In Sydney for a few days last week, I managed to meet up with some yak fishing buddies at Pittwater, in the hope of catching a kingie or two ...... even tho I did a cast of thousands with sluggos but it was not to be for me. One of my buddies had a 'boil' as he was 'trolling' his pink sluggo past some boats, but it didn't find the hook! :(

We fished all around the Marina, hoping to find some kingies as they'd been busting up there last year between the boats and this is where I came upon Grant (Grantmac) in his new yak - as yet 'un-blooded' - but not for long!!

post-2231-0-65060200-1385946611_thumb.jpg

Shortly after, over in the shallows, from a distance, I could see the flash of a white belly & Steve & Grant huddled together in the shallows ...... Grant had landed a PB Flattie that went 70cm & was STOKED!

post-2231-0-13050200-1385946655_thumb.jpg

Steve helped!

post-2231-0-28015000-1385946723_thumb.jpg

I stayed in the shallows & tried for whiting & finally landed my first fish of the day ..... not a whopper! :(

post-2231-0-45070400-1385946749_thumb.jpg

From there, it only got worse!! I think the whiting was marginally longer than the lure!!

post-2231-0-00442900-1385946785_thumb.jpg

Followed by this monster!

post-2231-0-92602900-1385946803_thumb.jpg

Ever wondered how to store your yak on 'racks'? Well, this isn't one of them!!

post-2231-0-70045400-1385946822_thumb.jpg

Steve let me in on his secret weapon for Whiting (I'd never seen this colour before in LuckyCraft!!) It is the NW pencil & his GO TO lure for whiting (he is a local so would know!!) I must get some! :D

post-2231-0-05853900-1385946857_thumb.jpg

I thought I'd seen Steve and Grant heading back to shore, so I headed in to - to find Brent & Nigel and the only kingie for the day!! Little did I know Steve & Grant were still out on the shallows, catching 30cm+ whiting!! Brent was stoked, as it was his first ever kingie and he'd driven down from the Blue Mountains to fish with me that day!

post-2231-0-38875000-1385946931_thumb.jpg

The easy way to clean your yak at Bayview!!

post-2231-0-35816700-1385946995_thumb.jpg

Also loved Brent's use of Camping Poles to help load his yak onto his car the easy way! The extra 'down' pole makes all the difference!!

UP

post-2231-0-49546100-1385947026_thumb.jpg

UP

post-2231-0-77486700-1385947084_thumb.jpg

and AWAY!

post-2231-0-13249700-1385947074_thumb.jpg

There were thousands of cicada shells on the trees - this one wasn't fast enough at getting out & the ants got him!

post-2231-0-85846400-1385947123_thumb.jpg

Given the horrible forecast for the day, we were pleasantly surprised that it wasn't too bad at all!! It was great catching up with the boys - and meeting up with Grant was a bonus! I bet he'll be fishing those shallows some more now!!

cheerio

Roberta

Great write up Roberta,

The camping pole idea looks like a much more cost efficient version of the 'rack and roll'I used to use for my hobie pro angler. it's a must have for a 40+KG monster of a yak when loading solo.

Hey Roberta,

Nice write up. It was a great day out and great to meet you guys and fish with some locals.

My flathead went 75cm which was a pb by 20 cm and a first for the yak. A few other fish caught were a few pinkies and a 30cm whiting and lost a much bigger one.

Anyway, I had a ball and looking forward to the next trip out.

Cheers,

By the looks if it all us yakers missed out! Great day in the water but I've fished pittwater many times and don't find it the most productive area!

I think we should have a fish raider yak comp! And I think Roberta is just the person to organise it. All in good fun but with bragging rights! What do you think?

Cheers scratchie!!!

That's what some of the guys said about Pittwater so pretty happy with that sesh. I'm keen to come up your way with the yak if your keen to get out one weekend and show me the CC.

Cc?? What's that? But port s is a great spot for yakking!

Oh I thought you were on The Central Coast. Been to Port Stephens a couple of times. Nice place, would love to fish it.

Agreed, Roberta would organize a great comp.

Sound like a great idea.

Good on you grant! So now it's up to you Roberta!

Yak comp Forster! Port stephens, I don't mind! But what a great way to get together and fish!

I'm sure we'd get the support of FR and sponsors for some prizes!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Edited by Scratchie

....I think we should have a fish raider yak comp! And I think Roberta is just the person to organise it. .....

:clapping::clapping: Nice try, Scratchie!! :074::074: I reckon YOU should be the one to organise it seeing as how you thought of it!! Then I can come down to Port Stephens & fish 'new water' down there!! I've even got a buddy down that way that I could stay with! Mind you - with the 'silly season' about to start with lots of extra fishos on the water - I often find it difficult to get results over Xmas New Year til they have all GORN again! :mad3: I think it may need a little bit of time for you to get dates etc ...... and chat with Mr & Mrs Swordy about it as well! :D

... It was a great day out and great to meet you guys and fish with some locals..... Great meeting up with you Grant - will try & do so next time I am in Sydney too. All part of the fun, learning new waters ..... not that I've EVER caught anything legal in Pittwater YET!! :ranting2:

...You are living my dream! fishing your local, meeting up with fishos in various waterways.... I am just pleased to be back yak fishing to be honest, Rob - after basically being injured for the last 2 years!! Still hoping to get up to SWR again next year when the big boys try for Marlin!! (Whilst I play with bream & flatties!)

Cheerio

Roberta

Ok you got me Roberta! I'll speak with the swordies in the new year and organise one! I'm sure a few people would be interested. Don't want to hijack this thread. It was a great post and good to see some fellow raiders catch up with spawned the thought! Tight lines!

Cheers scratchie!!!