Port Hacking sand flats

Yowie

Headed out early this morning with a mate who has recently retired. Pumped some nippers and drifted various sand flats for around 3 hours.

My mate took along a light rod and reel, but it was obvious the thing would not cast properly, so I loaned him a 6 foot rod with 6lb mono.

He was happy with a few whiting, then he says he had hooked a big whiting like mine, but the thing kept on going, it was the trevally. I started the motor and followed it for about 100 metres until it swam off the Lilli Pilli flats and into deeper water. He played it for a long time, as the trevally swam through patches of weed, but he was happy with it once it was in the net. His 2nd biggest fish ever.

Also returned a just over the limit flattie, a bream and a blackfish, plus plenty of just undersize whiting.

post-13153-0-21591700-1386049596_thumb.jpg

I use a size 2 longshank hook, the high carbon steel red ones. Might seem like a small hook, but have landed flatties to about 70cm on them, bream, whiting, flounder, trevally, salmon, tailor, and others.

6lb mono with a 00 ball sinker running onto the hook. No swivel, but do get a bit of line twist as the nippers do spin a bit at times on retrieve.

I have the drag set rather light on the reel, if I need a bit of extra pressure, I use a finger on the spool to increase drag pressure.