best filleting knife ?

joshagius

hey guys looking at getting a new filleting knife for Christmas and have done a bit of research was looking at getting the cutco fishermans solution. not looking at spending to much $50 - $ 100. does anyone own this knife or even recommend a good knife ?

Hi Mate,

I just went through the research process myself.

Dexter Ressell is the one you want. Retail around $50-$60. My local butcher uses one and spoke very highly of them. Apparently the bulk of knives used at the fish markets are Dexter Russell.

That was good enough for me.

your local tacle shop sadly is an unlikey place to find a quality knife, steer clear of chinese rubbish in a packet where you cannot hold or feel if the knife is to your liking, price is not a reflection of quality for these items.

i spoke to a few butchers that spend $15-25 on a knife,

as above ask your local fish shop or even butcher (they might fish), they might even get one for you,

i was about to do this then found a rapala for $10 that rocks.

that said, some people do a great job with meat cleavers and stiff carving knives,

I got a SWIBO last year for Xmas and absolutely love it, very easy to keep sharp and has just the right amount of flex. I think they're around the $50-60 mark

Edited by Linc

That's the Swibo, they're great

My in laws are both butchers and bought me a Swibo filleting knife, first time I used it I sliced my ring and little finger and didn't even know it until blood came out lol

They are great and very sharp, but with all knives, you do need to sharpen them as well, I use this long round sword looking metal sharpener.

get a dexter russell. they use them at the fish markets. i bought mine from my local fish shop for 25 bucks. they are not stainless but are easy to sharpen over and over. stainless stay sharp for a lot longer but once they dull they are never as sharp as when you start with them

My in laws are both butchers and bought me a Swibo filleting knife, first time I used it I sliced my ring and little finger and didn't even know it until blood came out lol

They are great and very sharp, but with all knives, you do need to sharpen them as well, I use this long round sword looking metal sharpener.

You have to love those cuts, no idea that anything has gone wrong till you see the blood. Did one yesterday bleeding a salmon. Dont know about the fish, but i certainly bled :mfr_lol: Still cant bend my finger though....

As for the knife, no idea. I declared id never buy a costly knife again because i keep dropping the darn things in the ocean! Steal the one at the house to fillet the catch. Off what i have been told by others, the Swibo's are right up there. There is also a brand with a trademark red handle and blade, cant recal the name though. Theyre spose to be good as well.

Cheers