Mission accomplished

adkel53

2013 has been a shocker for a long standing friend and his family.

When I moved here in the mid 1980s I joined the local cricket club and quickly became friends with two of the players. We had children of similar ages and more followed. Our families became very close, spending much time together. One of my two mates is a fisho and still a regular fishing companion. The other is not and moved to Newcastle to work some 10 years ago. In April this year, just after he retired from work, his wife and our friend died tragically in a cycling accident. It rocked us all to the core and the memories of our dear friend Julie, who grew up in a fishing family, are constantly with us.

Over the past 5 weeks our mate has come down to stay so that we could take him fishing on three occasions. Our first attempt saw us blown off Botany Bay by 50 km winds and on the second occasion we didn't even leave home because of the wind and rain. On Monday this week the planets aligned and we were out on the bay bright and early fishing the run-up tide for lizards in some shallow water. After about two and a half hours we only had a good sized bream (my friend's first plastic caught fish) to show for our efforts. A new tactic was called for so we headed out towards the mouth of the bay to fish some deeper water. The move paid off and we each landed three nice duskies in the 44-50 cm range before the nor-easterly got the better of us and we headed back in. A quick stop off at a favourite drop off resulted in me hooking and landing this old girl.

post-4311-0-82178900-1386129783_thumb.jpg

(Please excuse the finger blocking out my face - not deliberate!)

She was quickly measured (74 cm) before being returned to help re-populate the bay.

We had a terrific morning out - three long term mates together doing something we had never done as a group. It won't be our last trip together as two of us do what we can to ease the pain of a mate who has lost his partner of over 40 years. A shared interest in golf and vegetable growing will also play their parts in helping him through this difficult time.

Tight lines all.

Kel

Edited by kel

Thanks for sharing Kel,

They say time heals. Time spent fishing would have even more magical healing powers! I'm sorry to sound trivial if I do. Your story really struck a chord.

Congrats on the fish too!

Frank.

Doesn't sound trivial - my Dad taught me to fish, he was tragically taken by the sea nearly 20 years ago - when I fish I feel closer to him. Fishing does have amazing healing powers for sure!

I have never made a post on this website but read it regularly because I love fishing and love reading everyones experiences. I dont get out enough to post anything worthwhile!

Kel this is without question the most poignant post if have read and you have really struck a chord. As Yowie posted you may well have saved a life. Keep up the fishing Kel you are a very good man.

I was on Sydney harbour with my very old man and his a my close family friend on Sunday arvo who hadn't been on the harbour for 50 years when he used to run out to Browns in an old leaking tinnie with his old man catching Kingies on 'Leadlines'. He was in heaven just to be out there even though the Nor' easter blew us all around. It is so special to spend quality time on the water with friends and family.

Tight lines and a great lesson from Kel...thank you

Kel,

Having lost my two best mates over the past 10 years, the last one as recently as last July, your story struck close to the mark. All I can say is your blood's worth bottling. If there was an award on this forum for Mate of the Year, you'd have my vote.

• 3 weeks later...

Good on ya Kel. Great mates are hard to come by and they stick with through thick and thin. I had a couple of mates come round the other day and rebuild my garden after we lost it in the recent bushfires. I just needed something green and nice in the midst of black and brown and my mates understood and came round and helped out and mulched and planted and now we have something nice to look at. Great mates are worth having believe me and you sound like a great mate to have around.