Fishing in the rain - a surreal experience

Keflapod

The saying goes, "It's been a long time between drinks.".
Surely we can't go that long without a drink.
So I''m taking one now.
The drink goes like this.

I got up at Saturday morning at
4:00am, looking for the seabreeze forecast to unfold with precision accuracy.
I think I'm still looking.
The anemometer readings were showing 19 knots with gusts to 24knots.
Dis gusting wind !
Knot going fishing!
I went back to bed with images of housework that I'll have to do instead.
Bathroom and toilet cleaning coming up.
But I was underturd by that prospect, as the awful puns have no end.

My mind was now on Sunday...so fast forward to
4:00am Sunday.
My alarm went and I was up as if I just sat on a whoopee cushion.

I put on my gear and I could hear the rain just starting to come down.
But I didn't care - I knew that staying home again was a fate worse than death.
I was not even going to think of the prospect that the wife would get me to vacuum the ceilings and wash the mattresses.
Fishing or fishing - they were my choices.... Should I chose 50-50 or phone a friend ? Some decisions are so hard to make aren’t they…Well I couldn’t phone a friend. I have a phone but a friend....
The rain stopped just long enough to walk into the cabin and push the throttle into gear. Down the river in the twilight. Just me and all my imaginary friends.
Driving under the captain cook bridge, one street drain emptied it's water right onto the windscreen and roof of the alloy hartop. It was a strange sensation.
It wasn't long before I anchored up and the rain stopped - long enough to bait up the 4 rods and cast them out.
I felt like I was being rewarded for my hard housework the day before.
But the gear remained silent as the sun broke through a gap in the heavy steel clouds.

I took some photos.

I was surrounded by strange colours, like I was not supposed to be here.
The world seemed like an alien place.
I saw a side of my world that is rarely seen - the colours, the smell, the feeling - the sounds....
The sounds...THE SOUNDS ! That was my reel screaming off. First bite of the morning and it was smoking.
I struck but the fish kept going and it pulled the rod down hard.
I like that.
The fish zig-zagged through the dark water, trying to swim through the weed and snag me up.
Lifting the rod high kept the line angle as close to 90 degrees to the water as possible.
The fish came to the surface and rolled, still full of fight.
He zipped under the boat, around the motor leg and I dropped the rod into the water, following his every dash for freedom. He did the rounds until he came up, exhausted.
The net collects him from the water and lays him onto the checker plate floor.

I admired the fish and his eye moved left and right as he looked at me. I wonder what the fish was seeing ?
The lovely bronze colours on his flanks contrast the silver alloy floor.
I
reached for the camera and hold his form skywards, against the clouds.
The shape of the fish created a silhouette - the outline of one of the things in life for which I have so much admiration, so much respect.

This is why I outlay my hard-earned money with nary a word.
I rise early with no complaint, regardless of season in warmth or in cold.
To catch a glimpse of this magical creature in the twilight.
And there it was in my outstretched hand.

For some people, a fish is a fish and a spot is a spot. To me a spot is a place that holds many secrets beneath the veil of the surface. A fish that you can see or catch from beneath this veil is like a secret that has just been discovered. When the sea is calm, the water is crystal clear and the sun is rising, the veil on the surface is transformed into a window. The window into the amazing world below.

I was lucky enough to have this window wide open this morning and I saw something I had not seen before. The anchor was close to the boat and near the anchor, I noticed something. A strange shape – a starfish, but something was wrong. It appeared to be bigger than the anchor…

I had a thought that it was going to climb the anchor rope and into the boat, to punish me for taking one of the fish in his neighbourhood.

I put a pilchard piece on a rod and lowered it near the beast. It crawled over the bait so I lifted the rod. HOOKUP ! I loosened the drag in case it took off at blistering speed. You never know with these mega starfish. I think it didn’t even know it was hooked because it didn’t fight. I netted the thing and put it onto the gunwale for a photo session. I was in awe at the size of it. It measured 50cm from leg to leg or is it arm to arm or arm to leg. I was afraid to touch it and yet I have wrestled many an octopus…

In all seriousness, our environment is full of wonder when we peer through the surface. Last year I tangled a turtle in my line and photographed it before release. Everyone has a story to tell and this one is mine.

For those of you who just want a report – the water is warming up but the fishing is still slow. Getting a feed is all I’m after and how much sweeter it is when we are treated to these awesome things.

Tony

post-3021-0-89648900-1387252107_thumb.jpg

post-3021-0-51555200-1387252129_thumb.jpg

post-3021-0-23250000-1387252142_thumb.jpg

post-3021-0-33824200-1387252198_thumb.jpg

post-3021-0-23859700-1387252215_thumb.jpg

post-3021-0-11205500-1387252240_thumb.jpg

Brilliant writing and an insight into the mind - oh, and a laugh! Fishing alone means you can do what you want, when you want and there's no one to contradict or interrupt your thoughts - sounds pretty good to me

Loved your post and the starfish!

Thankyou all for your kind words.

I have not read a novel in 25 years so I'm not sure from where I get my influence.

I write reports these days to try to show others a different side of fishing.

This is the source of the passion and motivation to go and immerse yourself into the experience we call fishing.

Thankyou Wizza, Scratchie, Paikea, Pomey_Git, Reubs and Quochuy for your literary compliments - it's nice to be appreciated.

Fisherman666, perhaps if your wife had a read of this she may acquire a glimpse of what we feel.

One lady, the wife of one of the guys on the site read one of my posts some years ago and it gave her goosebumps - she said that.

That is the sort of compliment that makes my posts all the more worthwhile.

Bullshark, the thought did cross my mind but I reckon it would scare the kids and missus if that starfish ate the tree and escaped under the kids bed.

Then there really would be a monster under my bed !

Hi Leaonardgid - long time no hear - yes - fishing alone brings these rewards and as for giving gthe fish to my in-laws - er, well, maybe because I aint got no fish in the fridge, I kept this one....

Hi Swamper, mate you really caught that starfish on a lure without even seeing it ? Mate that is a greater accomplishment than mine and it actually does look like a star on a christmas tree...

The things we catch just boggles the mind sometimes..

Thankyou Meg126 and Tasksta - I think you both already have a great understanding of where I'm coming from.

Tony