Jewies, 2 from 2. parra river

nickm469

Got a couple of jewies in the last 2 sessions (finally) after 5 failed attempts. First one was at kissing point last monday. Second cast with a whole californian squid ( only use them while fishing for livies ). Measured 93cm. caught on 50 pound braid,1 metre of 60 pound leader. Snelled circle hooks size 6, on a running star sinker. Drag was set tight ( don't need to strike with circle hooks).

Tried to put the mrs on to one with no luck.

post-11578-0-57699800-1387518659_thumb.jpg

Second jewie was at meadowbank wharf. Tried kissing point but was packed. Caught about an hour after high tide using butterflied yellowtail. Same hook and line setup but adjusted the sinker to a small ball sinker due to huge amounts of weed caught on other star sinker. This time caught by the mrs YAAAY! Measured 96cm. Again drag was set tight.

post-11578-0-48281000-1387519230_thumb.jpg

Reason for using heavier leader was in the past 5 attempts the jews took a dive under the wharves, breaking the leader. With 60 pound you get a chance to muscle them out, Leader was badly frayed the second time as the mrs stands at 5ft tall haha. Somehow she still managed to pull it out from underneath. Now she reckons she can deal with bigger. Think I'll have to get her a PFD for wharf fishing first. Couple of times where she had to correct her balance to stop from getting dragged in.

Cheers!

Well done guys!! Just a quick question how far do cast from the wharf to catch the Jewies?

Hey mate I normally don't cast more than 30m. I find they stay closer to the wharf cause that's where all the food is. 90% of the time i will at least get a run if not a hook up.

hi there mate, how do you cook jewfish your self ? the reason that im asking is because im allways on the lookout for authentic recipes , thank you leonard.

I tried this recepie. Caramalised fish with pepper. I don't speak or understand vietnamese, just listen to the guy in the background. He uses enough clear english to get you through. sugar, salt, garlic, red onion, fish sauce and pepper. Used up about 3 kilos of jew and it got devoured by 6 people in no time.