Towra / Kurnell

pmak

Happy New Year fellow Raiders. Just coming out of the holiday 'haze' and very slowly getting back to normal routine now. Thought I'd put up a post of some fishing done over the Christmas/New Year break.

I had my brother and his family from overseas staying with us over the Christmas holidays and managed to squeeze some fishing time amongst the shopping and sightseeing activities.

I was in 'Fishing Charter' mode and had to put my 'clients' onto some fish. We only had one session at Towra/Kurnell fishing lures only. Armed with an assortment of Berkley soft plastics on heavy jigheads, we drifted over the sand and weed in the Kurnell and Towra area. Winds were strong on the day we were fishing and we were on the water on a rising tide so I was not too confident of success.

After a quick lesson on the rip rip pause retrieve technique, my elder brother and his son were soon making expert casts in the direction of our drift. It took a while but he came tight on his first ever flathead which gave a good account if itself, avoiding the net with spirited bursts away from the boat each time he brought it close. It came it at 64cm and pips my PB by 1cm! It was caught on a Berkley Powerbait Ripple Shad in purple colour on a 1/8 ounce jighead in 2.8m of water. Monkey off my back!

post-3388-0-29631900-1389227512_thumb.jpg

After some time and a change of locations later, his eldest son comes tight on his first ever aussie fish. It too put up a good fight and was caught on shallower water (1.8m) near the top of the tide on a 3" Berkley Power Minnow in pumpkinseed on a 1/12 ounce jighead.

post-3388-0-19586900-1389224970_thumb.jpg

The wind picked up further and made conditions uncomfortable so we pulled the plug but we were all happy that everyone caught pretty decent fish. Just before leaving to return to Singapore, my nephew remarked that catching his first flathead was one of the highlights of his holiday.

Feeling a little neglected, my two kids were itching for a fish so when everyone had left, we headed out to the bay again. It was a rising tide again (king tide) so we opted for bream and trevally as targets. My eldest son was first to open his account with this trevally. It put up a long fight thanks to an underdone drag!

post-3388-0-19452300-1389224979_thumb.jpg

My youngest son was not to be outshone by his brother this time and trumps him with a fish that we called for a salmon by the way it fought. When a thick slab of silver was netted, it was the biggest bream I had ever seen! His new PB bream (trumps mine by 2cm) came in at 45cm. It fell victim to the 3" Berkley Power Minnow in pumpkinseed and was caught in less than 1m of water near the top of the king tide. The cloudy and windy conditions helped I think.

post-3388-0-95504500-1389224989_thumb.jpg post-3388-0-01110200-1389227299_thumb.jpg

I caught fish too - just the usual bream and trevally on both sessions but the glory belonged to my 'customers' :clapping:

Tight lines everyone ....

pmak

Great sessions pmak and well done getting your brother and nephew onto some Aussie fish via lures in tough conditions.....it is always the sign of a great fisherman to get onto fish regardless of the conditions. Like Donna I am surprised by how much your boys have grown.....they will soon be able to take the boat out themselves.

cheers PK

Cjchen - we were just Towra .

Scratchie & Poddy Trapper - it was the biggest bream I've seen too.

Bass catcher - they do grow up quickly. I only hope they'll still want to fish with their old man when they leave the roost one day! I like when you and your son get together for your epic fishing trips. Something I hope I'll be able to do too in the future ...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Cjchen - we were just off Towra .

Scratchie & Poddy Trapper - it was the biggest bream I've seen too.

Basscatcher - they do grow up quickly. I only hope they'll still want to fish with their old man when they leave the roost one day! I like when you and your son get together for your epic fishing trips. Something I hope I'll be able to do too in the future ... �