Devil Ray

Finally a absoloute cracker day on Sunday, next to no wind, not much swell and the leader of the opposition giving me permission to spend a day on the water. Organised my crew who also got permission from their respective ministers. The weather forecast was getting better and better as the week progressed. So everything was pointing in the right direction.

It all began on Saturday, fitted a new winch to the boat, played around with the live bait tank and mowed the lawns ( part of the conditons for going fishing from the boss). Spent the night rigging up my gear for the much anticipated fishing adventure the following morning.

Sunday morning the alarm rings through the house at a very respectable 4am, i load the boat, bungs in, sounder and EPIRB, fitted quick check of the battery and we are ready to rock n roll.

A short 15 minute drive to the ramp and we unstrap and prepare to launch.... First problem, someone has decided to back down his real wheel drive commodre on to the very low tide ramp straight on the sand and is inevitably bogged. Luckily he had a recovery strap and there was a very helpful squid fisherman on the sand with a 4x4 who rescued him in pretty good time.

We get on to the water without a drama and head straight for "The Bull". First flick with the SP and a cheeky squid followed it up, luckily for me i was prepared with my Yo Zuri squid jig rigged up, i dropped it down and within seconds my boat was being blasted with some lovely ink and into the bait tank for a little later on. The SP's were being flung about and after just a few casts we managed a nice size flatty of a touch over 50cm, not the targeted species but we now know we wont be going home with a big fat donut.

After what seemed like only a few more casts i hooked another good size flatty which went 65cm and had a little go about him. I was using a Zman white grub, Deano a white Nemesis and Torbs the caterer also a white Nemesis, the target being the hardfighting, line stretching Kingfish.

Some time had gone by and a few hundred casts each and Torbs has hooked up to what could only be a Kingfish after some rod bending and line peeling he lands a nice little 50cm model which as anyone would know who has caught Kingfish punch well above their weight.

We started a new drift and come across a small patch of bait on the sounder, after a bit of burley in the bucket we bring up a few stonking Yakkas ( biggest i have seen). One went on live and the other in the tank. After a good hour or so of soaking the livey he come up a not looking too crash hot so we knock some fillets off him and Deano pins one up to a 5/0 hook and a small weight, withing minutes it is smashed by a beautiful kingfish, after first making sure the Go Pro was running the big guy gets into the fight with some light gear. We knew it was a King from the get go with the huge head shakes and tail bumps and the rod just not bend like that for no other. After a good battle we bring aboard another King of the 60cm variety, he is realeased to grow a little bigger for us. After many more casts we decide to have a Troll around The Bull and Norah Head with no luck.

We found some nice fishy looking structure off the light house and decide to flick some more plastics around, after hooking countless Red "bucket mouth" Cod we finally hook onto another King, which promptly busts off as the drag had not been reset after being locked up after a poor attempt at releasing the bottom of the ocean from the gear.

A few more casts and Deano hooks a fish which we knew wasnt a King but still had plenty of weight and lots of bump, it turns out to be some sort of Cod, not sure of the name but it was brown and would have tipped the scales at around 3 kgs.

A few more hundred casts for not much other than pesky " mother in law" Red Cod ( they got big mouths and you are never to happy to see them). We decided to call it a day and after fighting through hundreds of swimmers at the ramp safely returned to the ramp.

We had a great day and to top it off, i only used about 20 litres of fuel so it was a relatively cheap day which will also keep the minister for finance happy.

Cant wait to head out again and i hope to see some fellow raiders out on the water

post-32459-0-68519000-1390215002_thumb.jpg

post-32459-0-80113800-1390215048_thumb.jpg

• I think the brown cod is a Wirra , commonly known as an old boot. Did you eat it?

No we didnt eat it, i remember catching loads of these off the rocks down at JB as a kid, i did read on this site though that if you skin it right and remove the layer of fat that lays under the skin it is a really good eating fish, sounded like too much work though