Finally 1+ King Fish off Sydney

Simda

Hi All

Went fishing Monday public holiday with my cousin

Was a special day because we love to fish together since we were kids as we are only 3 months different in age but its real hard for him to get a leave pass especially since he became a father

His wife was not happy he was going fishing for the day questioning why do you want to go, You never catch anything.

Well that use too be true but I'm lucky and made a new freind that has been teaching me since July and although we dont always catch, we now often do

So we set the plan and up at 4.30, in the boat ramp at 5.45, catching bait at 6.00, straight out the heads by 7.00

Lines down, trying a mixture of techniques,

1) live bait rod dead sticking, with a big penn reel 80 lb braid, 60 lb leader, medium size hook I (think 4 or 5)

1) soft plastic snapper setup, 30lb braid 20 lb leader

1) metal hard body jig 130 grams

We put the live bait in the water and I put the plastic on, my cousin looked at me funny, whats that he asked but before I could answer a rat took it on the drop, I'm on and the little reel was screaming, Are you serious he asks

We get the fish in the boat little bugger only anout 45cm and send him back. Drop the plastic back down and bang we are on again

Give him the rod and hes have a great time when the live bait goes on the other side

Land 2 more rats now these around 60cm, back in the drink

Then we get the lines in the water and its on all over again anithe 2 rats

Now we are happy catching rats, they are lots of fun on light tackle and after many trips when we did not catch in the past he can go home and tell the misses that we did catch but he asked would any bigger kings be with the rats?

The bite went quiet so we went back to where we started the drift

As I was putting the plastic back down the live bait rod started twitching again, bump bump

Then I told him pick it up now and bang he was on. This time it was no rat.

He calls, Dave this is heavy, the drag is screaming but lucky on our heavy duty setup we could put some pressure on the fish and stop it getting to the bottom

When we got to mid water the panic was over but we knew the fight was not over

The were long breaks in the runs so I thought it may be a jew fish but when we got sight we realised it was a big king

The fish was just pinned in the top of the mouth and we could lose it at any time

We tried to net it but it was way to big for the net

Got the gaff and a few moments later we had it in the boat

Weight 10kg length 102cm

Sorry of the long post

Spent 6 years trying to catch this fish

Dave

postpost-7430-13908646825141_thumb.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Awesome Report .Yes we Fishos are a patient bunch and when the long wait gets broken Its All worth it. ( now the mrs will expect a good fish every time you go out, even the more reason to go out and drop a line ) Welldone !

Cheers Oziodin