Very Unusual Fish in Pittwater

tf211

Valentine's Day weather started out not looking too flash, but we went anyway. Left the dock in Pittwater around 6:30AM aiming to see if we could get some Kingies. Four of us - friends Ken and Nolene, wife Dianne and me.

Headed over to some moorings off Church Pt. to find Yakkas, and they were there. As we were catching, we started to see Kingies around our baits. We put a livey on one rod, some squid on another and started jigging with a butterfly jig and also a chrome and blue ironman.

These Kingies, often four or five of them, would swim all around our offering, nudging and almost eating it, but they just wouldn't hit. It was like they weren't feeding. Then one grabbed a dead squid bait on my rod and we had one (just legal) Kingy in the boat. Twenty minutes later a much bigger one took one of the Yakkas and wife had a great fight until it broke off.

I HATE that! I HATE losing a fish to gear failure, and especially as it must have been one of my knots that let go. No matter how many fish I catch, the ones I remember are the ones I've dropped. Isn't that amazing.

We stayed there for about five hours, but it was clear that things were slow and getting slower, so we decided to head up Pittwater, trolling at six knots. Ken was driving, Nolene was relaxing, I was in the Starboard stern trolling a Halco LaserPro and wife was in the Port stern trolling a Rapala. We trolled all the way up the Western shore, then across to Barrenjoey, around Barrenjoey and back to the Basin. Nothing. Not a scratch.

Trolling back South along the Western shore, we got a massive hit on the LaserPro. It didn't stick, but the LaserPro gained some serious battle scars. I figured it was a big Kingie, but based on what happened ten minutes later, maybe it was something else ..... ?

West of Stokes Point, wife's Rapala gets a solid hit, and it sticks. We all assume it's a big Kingie, and we get pretty excited. As the fish comes to the stern, I'm watching it and shake my head in disbelief. No - it can't be!

But yes it is, a beautiful Spanish Mackerel, right on one meter long. None of us can believe you can get a Spanish Mackerel in Pittwater, but that's what happened.

Oh, and by the way, I HATE treble hooks, so all my diving lures have been re-fitted with 5/0 Stainless BARBLESS J-hooks. Wife did a perfect job of keeping pressure on the fish, ensuring it couldn't spit the barbless hook. As we brought the fish into the boat (a pretty hilarious exercise, as we didn't have a gaff) the hook fell out of the fish's mouth.

Gear (if you're interested):
Rods: Shimano TCurve Revolution Offshore Travel 693GP Overhead 2.06m by Ian Miller (these are fabulous rods)
Reels: Avet JX
500m of Jerry Brown 30Kg white solid braid
7m of 40lb Fluoro wind-on leader
150lb snap swivel (Sampo ball bearing)
1m of 80lb Fluoro leader (note - NOT wire)

160mm blue mackerel diving lures (see photo)

ps: Cameldownunder asked "why barbless hooks?". I fish a lot for King (Chinook) Salmon offshore in Northern California. The regs there require that hooks used for salmon be barbless, and we very rarely lose fish. I read somewhere that barbs were originally put on hooks to hold the bait on. After removing the trebles, I just fitted the same 5/0 stainless barbless J-hook that I use on my salmon lures. If the fish is played well, the absence of a barb doesn't make much difference. Just keep the pressure on the fish.

post-17467-0-64842000-1392511963_thumb.jpg

post-17467-0-11872300-1392511982_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chinook Hunter

That's mad, although some one on here was reporting being bitten clean of trolling off the heads a few weeks ago. as far as global warming being the cause im not so sure. probably 25 years ago there were reliable reports of green job fish caught at jb and I caught a 32 pound wahoo of the banks down there also.

Great effort! I'd love to get a Spaniard! Some of my skirted lures are still rigged on wire from several years ago and I was thinking about re-rigging them on mono. Now I'm having second thoughts!

Baz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Berleyguts

Awesome capture and one to be very proud of.

Although it isn't proof of Global Warming. Spanish Mackerel and Spotted Mackerel original distribution had them ranging as far south as Sydney. Not something you would encounter a lot, but they showed up occasionally before Global Warming concerns.

Tell you what, I would much rather a Spanyard than a King, find them much better eating!

Windy