Another PB Whiting 43cm

JET01

Had a really long fortnight at work.

Finally had a chance to hit the flats for a feed of whiting.

Went to the flats at the sailing club to get nippers, but most of the bigger ones were full of roe so had trouble finding bait.

Got over to the hacking as the tide was just starting to turn. Caught half a dozen undersize whiting when this horse jumped on.

It was a really long fight on 3lb flouro. There was a really nervous moment, as I was having some trouble getting my net out of my wading bag, the fish ran around my leg! I was lucky enough to get the fish loose without snapping the light line.

When I finally netted the fish, I couldn't believe my eyes. Another PB for the year. 43cm. Bettering my previous by 2cm.

Another chance for COTM.

post-12306-0-14883500-1393118556_thumb.jpg

post-12306-0-13615000-1393118632_thumb.jpg

post-12306-0-06509000-1393118657_thumb.jpg

Edited by JET01

That's an elbow slapper of a fish.

Gunnamatta Bay is not a bad spot for big Whiting. Particularly up the Southern end in front of the boat moorings that Fisheries used to use.

Re; "Went to the flats at the sailing club to get nippers, but most of the bigger ones were full of roe so had trouble finding bait."

Aren't the flats in Gunnamatta Bay closed for taking crustaceans including Nippers, Soldier Crabs etc? The Fisheries Inspectors have been on the prowl lately so better check.

Cheers

Paikea

That's an elbow slapper of a fish.Gunnamatta Bay is not a bad spot for big Whiting. Particularly up the Southern end in front of the boat moorings that Fisheries used to use.Re; "Went to the flats at the sailing club to get nippers, but most of the bigger ones were full of roe so had trouble finding bait."Aren't the flats in Gunnamatta Bay closed for taking crustaceans including Nippers, Soldier Crabs etc? The Fisheries Inspectors have been on the prowl lately so better check.CheersPaikea

I drive to the sailing club at sans souci and then drive to the hacking to fish. The only time I pump nippers on the hacking is when I take my kayak over to maianbar.

"I drive to the sailing club at sans souci and then drive to the hacking to fish. The only time I pump nippers on the hacking is when I take my kayak over to Maianbar."

Hi Jet

I hope that you did not mind me mentioning the ban in Gunnamatta Bay, trying to be helpful, not criticize.

Last time that I tried for nippers at the sailing club in the bay they were hard work. Few and far between. How have you found them?

Cheers

Paikea

Mate this morning they were very hard work, and the majority of the bigger ones had eggs so I felt a bit slack taking them. I tried to put them back but they were getting eaten by the seagulls, so I figured if they were going to die anyway best they catch me a feed.

No dramas at all mentioning the ban on gunnamatta. These forums are all about fishos sharing knowledge, whether that be so everyone can catch more fish or more people can avoid fines. Share away and raise issues where the issue lay.

I personally don't think there is enough signposting to help out fishos pump in the right areas. I think the signs should reinforce bag limits for bait aswell.

I've lost count of how many people I've seen take more than the 100 nipper limit. I reckon that's why the nippers were so few and far between in front of the sailing club this morning.... Over pumped if you ask me.

Edited by JET01