One fat Bonito & need a fish ID please!

balsarini

Hi Guys,

Long time between posts!

We headed out the heads for a quick troll south along the rocks towards Cronulla and managed to catch one of the fattest Bonito I've ever seen along with a few smaller models as well. Best we have done on the troll in a while!

On dark we headed back into the bay for a few drifts near the runways and i hooked something i have never seen before, it looked like a squid at first but upon closer inspection it certainly wasn't! Can anyone id it from the pics? Sorry about the pic quality.

Cheers,

Simon

post-24451-0-02006300-1395361402_thumb.jpg

post-24451-0-89750400-1395361411_thumb.jpg

post-24451-0-17080000-1395361433_thumb.jpg

post-24451-0-03212400-1395361443_thumb.jpg

post-24451-0-09712000-1395361451_thumb.jpg

Looks pretty weird, it's not a sharks egg is it? Also known os a mermaid's purse, they can look like all kinds of weird and wonderful things. Did it have eyes, mouth or anything>?

Guest no one

I have a tendency not to touch anything that looks alien... Please tell me you didn't touch it?

I think that Bonito is a Tuna bro!

Would love to know what those things are too. I often encounter them when I pull my baits in around the spit. They definitely seem to be living.

Also they don't bite/sting as I have grabbed them before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There a member of the soft coral families. Cnidarians order pennatulacea. Sub order sessiliflorae. I'd be cautious touching any unknown marine life. Many can be toxic and have natural defence systems.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

There a member of the soft coral families. Cnidarians order pennatulacea. Sub order sessiliflorae. I'd be cautious touching any unknown marine life. Many can be toxic and have natural defence systems.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Renaming you to DavidAttenborough13

Harry

If it's to good to be true, it usually is...

What are the stripies like to eat? For future reference.

I have never eaten one personally but I have been told by a few folk that if bled straight away they smoke up really well in a smoker. As a little FYI also I have been told that most tinned tuna is stripey. If that is the case then I guess they are not too bad if you boil them to the point of dissolving them and added a few things for flavor like union and vinegar or corn and mayo.

Never really know unless you give it a go though I guess.

Luc.