After Uni Kingfish

Krispy !

Hey raiders,

Since today i had a quick 1 hour lecture i decided to have a fish afterward. Kept 2 rods in the car and some squid jigs and after the lecture was done quickly headed off. When i arrived didn't waste any time, quickly began trying for squid. It wasn't long before i had a nice calamari, bit too big for my liking at around 25cm hood but sent it out anyway. With 1 squid out already i cast out the jig again and within a couple twitches was on again, it was another calamari about the same size as the other but this time just as i lifted it out of the water 2 i saw big kings come past and circle around where the squid had just been then disappear. I unhooked the squid and was about to turn around to cast the other line near me when i hear the trademark zzzzz a short pause then zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. i turned around to see my reel buzzing. I ran over, tightened the drag and it was on. I was pretty confident with my chances since i had 50lb braid and 80lb fluro leader and so far the king was heading out and into deeper water. After taking about 80m on the first run it began to tire and i upped the drag and began reefing it in. Just dead weight for around 5 minutes until it saw the pylons. It was around 20 m out when it made a b line for structure. It all happened in about 5 seconds, i tightened the drag, the king lunged under, i tried to manouvre it away from the pylon but it was too late, it wrapped me around the pylon the about 2 m under the surface. This king was 1m+ and i could see it still struggling to cut me off. With no net in sight i decided to freespool in the hope it would come out but as soon as i freespooled the king shot off taking more line before i closed the drag again and this time the line went slack. :ranting2::mad3: It took me another 10 mins to re rig the 80lb fluro leader and twin hook rig. The other calamari was still alive so i gave it a few piercings and sent it out. It wouldn't have been in the water for more than 10 seconds before the reel was buzzing again. I ran over and set the hooks, i wasn't going to let this one get away. After the first long run i decided to let it tire out away from the wharf, it had another 2 shorter runs then it became dead weight. I locked up the drag and began reefing it back in, around 5 minutes later i had it coming back in close but i could feel it had its energy back, it came up for a look and quickly dove under trying to get me on the pylon but this time with the locked drag i was able to steer it clear and with one motion i lifted it up and onto the deck. :icon_peace::banana:

post-11865-0-42910000-1398772578_thumb.jpg

It measured 85cm and would be nudging the 7-8kg mark. Quickly bled it and left for home. It was only a two hour session but i would have to say it was one of the most exciting 2 hours of fishing Ive ever had.

Nice report. Now wishing I had taken a trip out after an early finish today :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done mate, a very nice catch indeed. Shame about the loss but still ended up a winner.

Great job

Nice fish had luck on the big one but it doesn't matter how much pound leader you have got kings will eventually bust you off if there near structure unless tired or steered away

Cheers sydneyfisher12

Thanks guys, this one definitely makes up for the one i lost but would have been nice to land both :P

Well done on that, especially shore-based. Have been fishing for Kings for a long time and have now come to the conclusion that the harder you pull, they do the same. Have had a lot of success in catching them in less than 2m of water in very bad reef and have found that more often than not, gentle pressure works. Just try to steer them.....gently. I caught one of 16 kgs off the rocks and an experienced fisherman along side said "what are you doing, I fight a luderick harder than that". Hey what ever works I guess!

Steve

Thanks for the kind replies guys

Awesome job Krispy.....What setup did u use?

Alberto I got it on a saltiga 4000 with a terez rod

Would a shimano catana nano xt 6-8 kg rod with a sienna 4000 be good for land based kings? Using jerkshads and yakkas

It would be a good combo just make sure the rod is around 7-9 foot to help with when the king comes in close.

Well done on that, especially shore-based. Have been fishing for Kings for a long time and have now come to the conclusion that the harder you pull, they do the same. Have had a lot of success in catching them in less than 2m of water in very bad reef and have found that more often than not, gentle pressure works. Just try to steer them.....gently. I caught one of 16 kgs off the rocks and an experienced fisherman along side said "what are you doing, I fight a luderick harder than that". Hey what ever works I guess!

Steve

That's interesting because a couple days ago I hooked a rat kingfish around 60cm on a baitjig and using very light drag managed to fight it for 10 minutes before losing it on the surface, it never tried to cut me underneath the pylons at all, in the end the hooks pulling was the only thing stopping me from landing it. I think especially land based it would be the way to go on bigger kings in the 15-20 kg bracket. It would definitely be something worth trying