Going to Fad it first time!

Robertos87

Hey guys, long time no post. Getting a handheld gps to go out to the Fads for the first time next Saturday. I have a few questions. First of all - anybody with experience with the handheld gps are they pretty much as good as an inbuilt unit? And gear wise, usually we go out with some light gear, about 8 pound line on light rods and a few heavy rods with 40 pound mono. Is this gear realistic to fish out there? Or should we just stick with the heavy stuff? Just not completely aware of what to expect. Thanks in advance fishraiders!!!

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Depends on your hand held GPS, it should be fine, just smaller screen!

I use the iPad as much as anything with Navionics and have made do a couple of times with the iPhone. Bearing that I do have a Lowrance mounted on the dash, but often have that on full sonar screen.

Don't think the weather will be kind to you this weekend though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mate if go 20lb line with a 4000 size reel 20lb leader, fish unweighted and get as many yakkas as you can before you head out and just drift past the fad the fish are all around it within 200metres or so you don't need to be on top of it and get yourself all tangled in it

Mike 2153 and Scratchie +1

I did it a few weeks ago for the first time. yakkas, pilchards and Cali squid all caught Dolphin Fish. We only caught fish round the legal length, I reckon you need to have your 40lb handy if the bigger ones are around. We went in a 5.3m boat out to the Broken Bay Fad which is 22km out. We came back into a westerly with a bit of chop around and while it wasn't unsafe it's a bit of a grind driving back (about 40 mins). Good luck and take ensure you take all the right safety precautions. Keep one to eat by the way they are great on the tooth. Looking forward to your report.

Thanks for the advice guys. So far the plan is to bring some chicken breast and pillies and gather some livebait and fish the Fads with the heavy gear and have a few small rods out. All I know is I can't wait to get out there!!! I'll let you guys know how I go.

Edited by Robertos87

Thanks for the advice guys. So far the plan is to bring some chicken breast and pillies and gather some livebait and fish the Fads with the heavy gear and have a few small rods out. All I know is I can't wait to get out there!!! I'll let you guys know how I go.

You will have a ball - one tip don't fish too many rods as it can be hectic with multiple hookups all swimming in different directions. Keep it simple - no weight just a circle hook pinned through your yakkas nose, flick it out the back, give it a little slack when you feel the first bang and then hold on!

Dave

Take some plastics with you - when we went out they were happily taking the plastics (on someone else's boat, we had livies). Will be a good option if you run out of livies or don't want to spend the time getting them.

We are heading out Friday so will let you know how it goes and if they are (hopefully) still around. (BB)