Researching the bay!

Scratchie

G'day raiders,

After fishing port stephens for the past 15years, I was presented with an opportunity to go fishing solo today so I took it. I usually hit the same areas which guarantee me a feed but today I thought I would do something different. I set out at 930 and the low tide change was at 10. I found a spot that I'd been looking at for a while. Using a 80mm squidgy fish I begin to cast and 1st cast I'm on......

post-24974-0-53620300-1399614098_thumb.jpg

A nice little 38cm flatty. Second cast goes in and I come up tight but the fight was different and I pull in a big grinner. Never caught one that big before. Anyway, next cast hop hop bang zzzzzzzz I'm on and this fish ain't happy, leaps out the water like salmon but it's another flatty but bigger. After some net negotiation onboard comes a nice 50cm flatty. I'm thinking great spot!

post-24974-0-75156900-1399614463_thumb.jpg

Next cast, I'm on again but to a much larger fish. Play the fish, get it boat side and I'm ready to net it but head shakes and it's gill raker cuts the leader. Oh well, I drive back to start the drift again. This time went I cast I feel a pulse on the end of the line and I know it's a squid or cuttlefish. I wind in slow and a decent size cuttle and keep that later for bait. However, by now the tide has changed and every cast feels like a cuttlefish. No more flatty bites, despite numerous drifts and this is the 3rd time I've noticed this. Has anyone else had the same problem fishing a river, bay or estuary???

Decided to move and used the cuttlefish as bait and managed an ok bream to the bag!

post-24974-0-69941600-1399614912_thumb.jpg

I pulled up a million other undersized fish but I had to head home as the kids were due home from school. I had a great day on the water and did some really good research to add to my usual spots!

post-24974-0-62944500-1399615121_thumb.jpg

Thanks for reading!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Sounds like a great day. Plastics fishing alone can be quite fun, no one else flicking lures past your ear from the other side of the boat can be a bonus too :)

However, by now the tide has changed and every cast feels like a cuttlefish. No more flatty bites, despite numerous drifts and this is the 3rd time I've noticed this. Has anyone else had the same problem fishing a river, bay or estuary???

Cheers scratchie!!!

With the run up tide, a possibility that the flatties have moved into shallower water, looking for the small fish or prawns that are moving onto the shallow flats as the water covers them. Have seen that elsewhere.

Great report, Jeff. Thanks for the very kind offer to join you but I didn't get to Port until about 1:30. I'm currently sitting in the lounge room of a little cottage we've rented for a couple of weeks at Corlette, looking out over the water..., it's 3 steps down to the beach and I'll be flicking a bait out around the top of the tide at first light in the morning. We've got some real estate to look at tomorrow but hope to put the boat in soon! See you on the water!

Baz

Edited by Berleyguts

With the run up tide, a possibility that the flatties have moved into shallower water, looking for the small fish or prawns that are moving onto the shallow flats as the water covers them. Have seen that elsewhere.

Thanks yowie. I'm hearing you. But what I was trying to explain was when I start getting bites from cuttlefish or squid, everything else seems to stop biting.

I actually was fishing the shallows at the time as all good size flatty up here love the shallows.

I'm not sure if it's the tide or the shear amount of Cephalopods that are about and the fish move on!

Thanks yowie. I'm hearing you. But what I was trying to explain was when I start getting bites from cuttlefish or squid, everything else seems to stop biting.

I actually was fishing the shallows at the time as all good size flatty up here love the shallows.

I'm not sure if it's the tide or the shear amount of Cephalopods that are about and the fish move on!

I find that if the squid are only taking your baits, or lures, then the fish are rather scarce.

Would not imagine that the cuttlefish would be after the flatties to eat, but then again, maybe the larger ones know that the flatties are hiding under the sand and go searching for them. Sneak up behind the flatties and shoot out the big tentacles to grab them under the sand where they are hiding. If you get a calm day, have a look and see what the cuttles are doing in the shallow water.

If everything stops biting, then I suspect the cuttles are hunting for food in the shallow water and everything leaves very quickly.

The cuttles could also be looking for crabs in the shallows, as at times while wading on the run up tide, I have had crabs swim out of the deeper water into the shallows and around my feet.

I find that if the squid are only taking your baits, or lures, then the fish are rather scarce.

Would not imagine that the cuttlefish would be after the flatties to eat, but then again, maybe the larger ones know that the flatties are hiding under the sand and go searching for them. Sneak up behind the flatties and shoot out the big tentacles to grab them under the sand where they are hiding. If you get a calm day, have a look and see what the cuttles are doing in the shallow water.

If everything stops biting, then I suspect the cuttles are hunting for food in the shallow water and everything leaves very quickly.

The cuttles could also be looking for crabs in the shallows, as at times while wading on the run up tide, I have had crabs swim out of the deeper water into the shallows and around my feet.

Cheers yowie for your input. I was thinking that maybe the case. I caught pretty much 4 fish in 4 casts. Next drift, nothing only cuttlefish. Will take note next time and move myself.

HI Scratchie,nice bit of research!

Looks like you were a fair way inside the estuary.

Good to meet you and your family at the social.

Dont know how you got out without Junior,he's been sounding pretty keen lately.

Regards

Dean

HI Scratchie,nice bit of research!

Looks like you were a fair way inside the estuary.

Good to meet you and your family at the social.

Dont know how you got out without Junior,he's been sounding pretty keen lately.

Regards

Dean

Cheers dean. Two were at school and two home sick. That's enough for me, I'm outta there!