Rabbit out of the hat at Broughton

GoingFishing

Gday Raiders

I received a last minute invitation to join a few friends up to Port Stephens for the week. A few calls later and with leave approved at work it was on. 

Of course, it would have been silly to visit this beautiful place without reaching out to local legend @Scratchie to say hello and to also invite him onboard for a fish.

Jeff and i had tried to get this meet together for a few years now but logistics proved difficult the last few times. It was all very last minute but luckily Jeff had an opening and we locked it in for Monday morning !

So we met at the ramp at 5am and were on our merry way. A quick sound around cabbage tree island for bait but none there so we moved on to maximise fishing the first light. Scratchie fished plastics whilst i stuck to baits with a pea sized sinker.

Scratchie did a fantastic job explaining and navigating the many marine parks around the islands all whilst imparting his wisdom about plastics fishing for snapper (at which i am yet yo learn). There was plenty of bait stacked on the sounder but the reds just werent there.

As we approached the edge of a reef Scratchie proceeded to tell me about the David and Goliath battle that has been unfolding over the last few years between him and whiskers... "this is where Whiskers lives Sam". A few casts later and Jeff had a huge strike followed by an immediate bust off.  Jeff was absolutely gutted, but did a great job holding in the dissappointment. To quote " you would have learnt a few new words Sam" 🤣

We proceeded to move around the island fishing the permitted zones when we came across some surface action. We wacked on two lures in the Christmas tree colors and did some trolling. On the first pass we managed a double hook up of two rat kings, second pass one more rat and then third pass had a huge strike on Jeff's Saragosa. The head shakes were violent followed by a huge run. Jeff played the fish like a champ and we both agreed it was a solid king. I soon noticed the boat was spinning in circles and it was just about this time Jeff had the fish in sight and said " its a Tuna!!, a yellowfin" 

Both panic and excitement racheted up to the next level. Do you have a gaff ? Nope, shit how do we get it in the boat. Try getting its head in the net, didnt work.

In the end i just reached over grabbed the tail and lifted it into the boat. An unexpected but welcome catch ! High fives all round.

@Scratchie thanks for an awesome day on the water mate, good company, good fishing in one of the best places in Australia.

Ps @Berleyguts we both discussed it and agreed that any replies to this post are forbidden from including any mention of chores, housework etc etc 😅

Thanks for reading fellas.

IMG_3650.jpg

IMG_3663.jpg

• Like 22
  • Haha 1

Champion report from two Champion raiders ! ... so happy for you guys to pull the rabbit out of the hat ! 

I think just one correction to that post ... don't think its a YF Tuna.... given scratchie caught it, its gotta be a YF Snapper !

Congrats ... the smiles say it all.

Cheers Zoran

• Like 2

Yewwwww @GoingFishing

Pretty eventful day and a long time in the making! 
I always say that it only takes one turn of the reel to change your day and in this case, ain’t that the truth! 
Yes, I got done by whiskers again for sure! 🤬🤬🤬 But at least we were getting some bites. It is very difficult to find a medium between bait and plastics fishos on the same drift but I think we did ok! You managed a few pannies as well plus a double of bream and Sampson fish! 
The idea of trolling up some fish only came from your keen eye of a few bust ups! 
Definitely worth giving it a go and it proved fruitful as the fish were competing for the lure! First yellow fin I’ve ever seen at Broughton island in the 20 years I’ve fished it. 
What a day!!! Great conversation, great conditions on your awesome boat! Certainly a day we both won’t forget!!! 

cheers scratchie!!! 

45272445-C258-4BCF-9AB7-1F7CE5742B3C.thumb.jpeg.48f7fdebbbbecd17380ca9b41fa72f64.jpeg

• Like 8

4 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Champion report from two Champion raiders ! ... so happy for you guys to pull the rabbit out of the hat ! 

I think just one correction to that post ... don't think its a YF Tuna.... given scratchie caught it, its gotta be a YF Snapper !

Congrats ... the smiles say it all.

Cheers Zoran

Thats Zoran. It was a great day out with a great company, with some fish thrown in. Cant ask for more than that.

4 hours ago, Brendonjohnson said:

What a catch! Unreal session I saw you guys out I recognise the boat! Such a nice fish @Scratchie

Cheers Brendan, hope you found a few?

4 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

Well done fellas. What a catch :1yikes:

Did you get some stickers @GoingFishing ?

Thanks Donna. I forgot to get the stickers but will pick up a few from Jeff before i leave PS.

3 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Nice report, great to have that local knowledge on board to navigate all those zones around there plus the fishing knowledge of course.

Solid tuna, well done guys :biggrinthumb:

Thanks KC. Jeff certainly knows the go, all memorised.

1 hour ago, back cruncher said:

Hi all...well done fellas.Jeff never fails to put fish on the boat...

Thanks Back Cruncher. Hope to see you back on the water ASAP.

55 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Well done. Great day out. Super photos.

Cheers mate

2 hours ago, Scratchie said:

I always say that it only takes one turn of the reel to change your day

45272445-C258-4BCF-9AB7-1F7CE5742B3C.thumb.jpeg.48f7fdebbbbecd17380ca9b41fa72f64.jpeg

Aint that the truth !!

That double header was quite the catch ! Two fish that are rarely caught in the ocean coming together on the same snelled hooks at the same time ! Well....that was the surprise catch of the day at least till you topped it with a YF 🤣.

Today well be putting those pannies and tuna steaks on the BBQ 🤤🤤

Appreciate you taking the time to show us around and i really enjoyed your company mate. Well do another trip again soon i am sure !

• Like 1

@GoingFishing
Ps 
@Berleyguts we both discussed it and agreed that any replies to this post are forbidden from including any mention of chores, housework etc etc 😅

Duly noted! 😂 I won’t say a word about the misery of my life. 😢😂

Great report and it must have been a thrill to take that fin! 😎 Well done!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

@GoingFishing
Ps 
@Berleyguts we both discussed it and agreed that any replies to this post are forbidden from including any mention of chores, housework etc etc 😅

Thanks Baz. Hope you found some time to get out this week!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Berleyguts said:

@GoingFishing
Ps 

Actually BAZ hats off mate.... what an awesome way to say it anyway ... by quoting Sam !! 🤣

Cheers Zoran

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

My effort, really need some tips you chef badges!!!! 

DCF3FEF2-8E93-48C5-ACF9-B5E679552060.thumb.jpeg.ae388596c7e51547584f8392b2a4b843.jpeg

I have a rule .... gotta catch it to cook it !  So will post when I eventually get that YFT that has my name on it. 

Over to you Adrian ( @kingie chaser👨‍🍳

Cheers Zoran

PS - BTW ... glass of 🍷 on the side and I'd have no trouble with what you served 😁 !!!! 

• Like 1

Looks great fella's, Im salavating :drool:

Since you asked a tuna dish I love is Tataki of tuna with wakame salad.

I usually do this by cutting the tuna into logs, marinating it briefly in abit of sesame oil, light soy & a bit of mirin.

Searing quickly on each side then rolling it in a mixture of toasted white sesame seeds, black sesame seeds, black pepper & ground nori flakes(its a bit like & you can use furikake seasoning)

Sliced in 5 to 10mm slices & arranging it on a bed of wakame salad, with some soy pickled ginger & wasabi on the side.

if you feel like it you can have some flying fish roe or similar & replace the soy with ponzu sauce.

Cant find any of my photo's right now but Its a bit like this-

Tuna_Tataki_3515-3523.jpg.7cb544a4e6f51c4ae6a976183c919e95.jpg

1695327810_Tunatataki2.thumb.jpg.3e29f2b1fe75a5bd6e8bfa9759e4e270.jpg

849154408_Tunatataki.jpg.08726a60f4661133fdd0ffd6b2318364.jpg

seaweed-salad.jpg.da065d4c2711b30d2fb8eeb6c60dd004.jpg

Served with some nice Sake :ninja: :D

Edited by kingie chaser
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

I usually do this by cutting the tuna into logs, marinating it briefly in abit of sesame oil, light soy & a bit of mirin.

Searing quickly on each side then rolling it in a mixture of toasted white sesame seeds, black sesame seeds, black pepper & ground nori flakes(its a bit like & you can use furikake seasoning)

Sliced in 5 to 10mm slices & arranging it on a bed of wakame salad, with some soy pickled ginger & wasabi on the side.

if you feel like it you can have some flying fish roe or similar & replace the soy with ponzu sauce.

Dayum that looks soooooo good. You got me hungry AF now

29 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Yeah I can do that no worries 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, zmk1962 said:

I have a rule .... gotta catch it to cook it !  So will post when I eventually get that YFT that has my name on it. 

Over to you Adrian ( @kingie chaser👨‍🍳

Cheers Zoran

PS - BTW ... glass of 🍷 on the side and I'd have no trouble with what you served 😁 !!!! 

Always with a glass of red! 🍷👌

7 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

Ok everyone, I've changed my mind, when I catch my YFT, I'm inviting @kingie chaser to come share it and  teach me to cook it (hopefully he will be on the boat at time of capture too) !

Cheers Zoran

Mate I have a million recipes in my head so if you invite me along I will do it in several styles for you & your guests :D

Perhaps seared tuna steak with an eggplant kasundi & basmati rice or maybe seared preserved lemon tuna with vegetable tagine & cous cous.

Be there at time of capture.................................I can only hope 🙏  😃

• Like 2