Braid

diesel

Call me old fashion however all but one of my rods are spooled with mono.The last time i tried to use braid as about seven years ago,I had trouble casting it, tying knots and tangles galore.Now it seems everyone uses it from sweet to salt,Am i the only one stuck in the past,they make some some pretty good mono these days? If i was going to go and buy some braid could any raiders advise me on a good and not to expensive braid cheers!

I use both, I had braid on every thing then when I started using Alveys, I had to spool with mono and realised I didn't need to use braid on even my spin reels. Braid has its place of course and I still use it, but mono still does the trick.... Top notch mono would be Tortue or a little less out of your pocket, platypus lo stretch...

Fireline is an affordable braid that performs

Harry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My dad got so frustrated with losing fish due to braid wind knots and tangles he switched to straight through flurocarbon. He seems to be happy with that and it works for him.

For the beach he only uses schnieder mono and in my use of it so far it's been solid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Diesel, mono is ok for lots of different types of fishing...beach fishing with Alvey reels and light line applications, etc. I reckon braid is a serious contender where high breaking strain line is needed. It is much thinner than mono for the same breaking strain and can offer much less water resistance when lure fishing or deep sea for larger fish species. It is important to use correct knots, too. I always use a fluro shock leader attached to my braid. Braid is undoubtedly better on baitcaster reels as it's thin and easier to cast than mono.

Call me stupid but when fishing with braid do you always have a mono leader and if so why ?

Braid doesn't have good abrasion resistance and is highly visible

Fluorocarbon allows 99% of light to pass through it is virtually invisible in water. mono has very good abrasion resistance and stretch

So using a fluorocarbon or mono leader is the way to go depending on what sort of fishing you are doing

I use flouro on fussy fish and mono leader where there is more structure

cheers

Edited by sam bros

Call me stupid but when fishing with braid do you always have a mono leader and if so why ?

Yes. Braid has zero stretch which makes it easier for a fish to get off the hook. That is, if you managed to entice a fish in the first place as braid is also very visible underwater. Hence most fisho use a length of fluorocarbon leader. But if you don't have that plain cheap mono would be better than nothing.

The bass in the Nepean didn't mind your mono...I find that fireline is fine and I find that when fishing light lures the braid will allow you to cast a little further due to a smaller diameter line and therefor less wind resistance...that's the theory.

When bottom bashing in heavy current the braid will allow you to hold bottom with a lighter sinker for the same diameter/resistance reasons above.

Edited by DeanFish

Grew up fishing plain mono with my old man, when I took up fishing for myself used it too then decided to swap from a glass rod and mono to a graphite rod and 6lb sunline super pe...well its all gone nuts from there and I wouldn't use mono for anything but beach and rock. The sensitivity you get is wicked. Casts further and you get higher ratings for much thinner diameter. Three I've used and liked are the sunline, fireline tournament exceed in 4lb and I use powerpro 10, 20 and 30. Powerpro is thicker but it's damn strong and cheap too. Give braid a whirl and see how you go :) can always swap back!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Call me old fashion however all but one of my rods are spooled with mono.The last time i tried to use braid as about seven years ago,I had trouble casting it, tying knots and tangles galore.Now it seems everyone uses it from sweet to salt,Am i the only one stuck in the past,they make some some pretty good mono these days? If i was going to go and buy some braid could any raiders advise me on a good and not to expensive braid cheers!

If your not using braid your missing out. Better and further casting. Very low stretch, more feel which also means more enjoyment on a hooked fish and for various reasons, more fish overall.

If your new to braid you will need to practice new knots and learn a few things best shown to you by someone experienced. No. 1 is keep your line spooled at least a millimetre under the lip on a spinner.

If its light line your after try out Fireline.

When Braid first came out I tried it fishing offshore for Flathead and found that it improved my catch rate enormously. Feel every nibble. I have not used anything else for bottom bashing since.

Cheers

Paikea

Correct me if I'm wrong but the bottom line seems to be: Braid means further casting, less drag if off the beach but tangles easier than mono. Braid good from a boat, perhaps with flouro leader?

If your casting light weighted jigs, plastics etc then braid will cast a lot further.

Ideal for bank & boat fishing.

Once you've got used to braid, I think you'll never want to go back.

Using a fluorocarbon leader between 6-7 feet is essential.

Cheers, Chris

I use braid on my Alvey off the beach, the sensitivity difference between mono and braid is worlds apart. You shouldn't get tangles as long as long as you lay it flat on the Alvey. Yes always use a flurocarbon trace. Can be hard on the fingers though, surf casting with braid!

Steve

Correct me if I'm wrong but the bottom line seems to be: Braid means further casting, less drag if off the beach but tangles easier than mono. Braid good from a boat, perhaps with flouro leader?

Your correct but I don't know about getting tangles easier with braid. For me its less tangles and easier to manage. When mono gets a bit loose it starts coming off the spool in a big rush of loops and tangles. It doesn't cope well to any twist either.

If your getting any tangles with braid when casting something is not right. You shouldn't get any.

Hi,

I use braid spinning for flatties...casts so well. Ok breaming with little or no lead too. For float fishing for luderick braid was not good. Some braid is better than others. I found fireline pretty good but tried a different braid on the recommendation of tackle shop staff. It was much lighter and limp like cotton. Cast great but frayed near the leader knot so badly and quickly that I would never use it again.

KB

Edited by Koalaboi

ok so if two identical outfits, one spooled with braid the other with mono the braid will outcast the mono yeh ? And if so are we talking meters or center meters?

Edited by diesel