My First Landbased Legal King!

night_rider

Hey Raiders,

It was great to see a lack of rain on Saturday morning, but the fog was a little off putting.

Set out for Tamarama to launch some baits into the surf. Grabbed some fresh prawns and squid from Drummoyne Bait & Tackle and was on my way!

But then i got to the beach to this:

post-20664-0-43449100-1407714922_thumb.jpg post-20664-0-52314600-1407714940_thumb.jpg

Needless to say I decided to change location, after a quick relocation I was over at Nielson Park with my line wet.

post-20664-0-18711200-1407715155_thumb.jpg

A strip of squid out on the big rod and a nice thick bread burley trail in the water whilst I rigged up my lighter rod with prawns.

30 minutes down, no hooks up, Whilst down on all fours, I heard a ZZZ ZZZZ and then silence.

I walked over to see what was going on, I thought hmm it's quiet. Damn I missed it... then all of a sudden my okuma was alive: ZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

I accidentally threw my smaller rod on my gear which bounced and almost ended in the drink.. sigh- A few battle scars on my Sienna now..

I picked up my nice new Ugly Stik beach rod and set the hook releasing the bait holder switch and there was some nice weight still pulling the heavier drag. Finally Christened my new rod and reel with something decent. Great!

After a few really solid runs I got this unknown beastie close to me, I saw a flash of colour.. Silver? No. It couldn't be a Jewie.. Was it?!

Whilst I was in a slight state of ecstasy the sneaky thing darted under the rock ledge just to my left.. Devastated, I thought that's it, my fishing career is done for. I was ready to throw in the towel.

Luckily I had 12 foot of rod and was able to negotiate it out from the rock and to my surprise a nice fat Kingfish!

Now to land him.. I tried to keep him on the surface walk around to a lower ledge, he knew exactly what was going on, saw me and ran for the harbour bridge.. ZZzzzzzz.

I managed to turn him pretty quickly as it'd been over 5 minutes already and was probably a little tired.. I stayed on the low platform and slid him up onto wet rock.

My first legal King landed! WoooooohoooOooooo! 69cm. Not 1m but put up a great fight. It's a shame I was flying solo, there was no one to High-five.

post-20664-0-53647300-1407714932_thumb.jpg

I gutted and bled him straight away, threw the guts in for burley and set my big rod out with more squid hoping for another or something else...

After about 90 minutes I packed up and headed home. My prawns were getting destroyed and missed a few decent tug/ runs on the prawns.

I got 6 large steaks out of the 2 fillets. I marinated them in Lemon, garlic & herbs and pan fried them.

post-20664-0-61942300-1407714947_thumb.jpg

Delicious!.

post-20664-0-37490100-1407714954_thumb.jpg

Tight lines guys.

M.

Mate well done that was an awesome read. Nothing feels better than that suspense and worry of losing your fish on the rocks, only to then lift him up to safety. Ultimate relief and satisfaction. I maintain that rock fishing is one of the hardest types because there's so much that can wrong and so little you can do to react.

Enjoy the feed

Sam

Nice catch - are the kings sort of sporadic at this time of year or are they beginning to come back?

I've read reports that a lot of the smaller kings have now become resident in the harbour until they get bigger and move out into deeper warmer water. There have even been a few reports in fishraider of kings hooked in the harbour , definitely sporadic and nothing huge. They definitely get thicker and bigger during summer.

Great work mate nice king I haven't caught one in a while glad to see there still around might have to hang a bit of squid out while fishing off my boat on the harbour. It would off pulled hard and to get it land based in the harbour is amazing. I'm sure it would of tasted great as well

Cheers sydneyfisher12

Thanks for the praise guys. It's nice to have a decent story and catch to show! It was so tasty :D

Mate well done that was an awesome read. Nothing feels better than that suspense and worry of losing your fish on the rocks, only to then lift him up to safety. Ultimate relief and satisfaction. I maintain that rock fishing is one of the hardest types because there's so much that can wrong and so little you can do to react.

Enjoy the feed
Sam

I didn't know what was going on.. One moment he was there in plain sight and the next took drag like it was going out of fashion and hid under the rock.. I have read about Kingies darting under/behind structure.. usually piers or reefs. It was really fascinating to see in real life.

Good stuff mate! And with all the dramas you had with your rod, you ended up with an outfit that landed you a decent fish! Well done :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

Thanks Scratchie. Can't tell you how good it is to of finally got a decent setup and land something decent on it. Shame it wasn't actually at the beach aha. This weekend I'm going to at least get a Sambo on it.. Got a few off cuts from the Kingie including the wings so fingers crossed.

Congrats, nice fish and feed. Your heart must of been pumping when that rod went off, I mean when your rod went ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Is defintely music to my hears :mfr_lol:

Also, cooked up the other half tonight. Light dust of flour with salt + pepper, dipped in egg and then into panko crumb. Lightly fried. WOW! Best fish and chips Ive ever had.

Definitely keen on catching another King. YUM! :clapping:

post-20664-0-84165500-1407756981_thumb.jpg

Tight lines guys.