Big change in barometric pressure tomorrow - Am I reading it right?

chokpa

Theres been a consistent drop in pressure over the last few days. I went out on Saturday late arvo to have a go and it was absolutely dead.

However looking at the forecast there is a dramatic increase in pressure today and tomorrow. http://www.worldweatheronline.com/Sydney-15day-weather-chart/New-South-Wales/AU.aspx

Going off some past threads about the topic, it would seem that tomorrow would be an awesome time to fish. Is this correct?

It looks like there are gonna be 25knot winds tomorrow though. But dramatic changes in barometric pressure = weather changes = not calm. By the time the winds drop to below 15knots the pressure is steadying and I assume the fish less active?

Can anyone shed some light on the matter before I go punish myself in 25 knot winds + rain for 4 hours?

Cheers!

Theory has it that a rising or sliding barometer is better for fishing. A falling barometer places more pressure on the water and makes the fish more dormant.

IMO, tides are more important, so too are things like bait/SP's, burley and structure. I'm almost positive that if there was a week of low barometer readings the fish still have to eat!

But for the record, tomorrow's fishing almanac is 58%. Make of it what you will but I'd take a raincoat and try find a sheltered spot!

Cheers scratchie!!!

It's called "fishing calendar" in the App Store. As far as I'm concerned it's just a gimmick. Apart from the important things I previously mentioned, knowing your area is right up there with them.

Those things I mentioned and reading reports on this site, will improve your fishing more than any calendar or rising barometer.

Cheers scratchie!!!

I'm not convinced more science can't be applied to fishing.. Though there is an element of fortune definitely.

My spot has been pretty empty recently. Much cleaner thank God but maybe everyone else got the memo.

It's been real quiet the last few trips

Theory has it that a rising or sliding barometer is better for fishing. A falling barometer places more pressure on the water and makes the fish more dormant.

IMO, tides are more important, so too are things like bait/SP's, burley and structure. I'm almost positive that if there was a week of low barometer readings the fish still have to eat!

But for the record, tomorrow's fishing almanac is 58%. Make of it what you will but I'd take a raincoat and try find a sheltered spot!

Cheers scratchie!!!

Well Scratch,

From the observations at my mothers boat shed, a big area of low pressure allows the sea level to rise (that's if I assume the forecast tide heights and lows are correctly predicted)

This is most noticeable during the evening high tides at night during the middle of the year (June and July - highest tides are mid year at night, a bit more than Christmas time during the day)

The highest tide during July was predicted at 2.06m on the 13th, and the highest tide during June was predicted at 2.04m on the 14th.

On July 13th, the water was into the boatshed and just covered the floor. Barometric pressure was 1027 hPa and near the top pressure of that week.

On June 14th, the water was into the boatshed and the high tide mark was 5 or 6 inches above the floor level. Barometric pressure was 1012 and near the bottom pressure of that week.

If a big high tide co-incides with a big southerly blow, the waves will be crashing onto the shoreline and over many waterfront properties.

Not trying to baffle you with figures (and I don't worry about what pressure is predicted) but I did find years ago, when I spent time fishing during the afternoon rather than morning fishing as I do now, the jewies came on the bite when a southerly buster hit just on sundown (everyone else headed for home, and all the flies and mossies were blown away)

And after many years of fishing, I try and pick a particular day and tide to fish a certain spot, and just go fishing. If the fish are on, then good, if not, then bad luck. The best way is to observe the fish, and then try to think what they would be doing, such as feeding locations, where the bait fish would be hiding, where noisy boats won't be buzzing about, etc.

Dave.

This excerpt from the BOM explains a little more about the effect of the barometer

Barometric pressure. Tidal predictions are computed for average barometric pressure. A difference of 10 hectopascals (hPa) from the average can cause a difference in sea level of about 0.1m. This depression of the water surface under high atmospheric pressure, and its elevation under low atmospheric pressure, is often described as the inverted barometer effect. The water level does not adjust itself immediately to a change of pressure and it responds moreover to the average change in pressure over a considerable area. The average barometric pressure and information, in some instances, concerning changes in level which can be expected under different conditions for certain places, is given in Sailing Directions. Changes in sea level due to barometric pressure seldom exceed 0.3m but their effect can be important as they are usually associated with those caused by wind set-up since winds are driven by the pressure gradient.

when iobars are close together on a weather map, then its going to be windy (assuming that they are using the standard scale

of 1 isobar every 4hPa (MB) ) This is seen as rapid barametric pressure changes.

If the wind is blowing in to your back (assuming no local terrain is interfering) then the area of lower pressure is on your right hand

so if you need to make a run for it, going left might be a good option. (Opposite in the northern hemisphere)

Looking at the BOM map, i'd say that the wind will start to die down a bit before the weekend where it will increase again.

http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/charts/4day_col.shtml

Its been a while since I've looked at WX maps in detail (previous life) so check the BOM site for warnings. Might well be local conditions

that are significant for you.

Doesn't really help with the fishing on falling/rising barometric pressure sorry. I like the theory, pick a spot, the tide and if you feel

like it, have a go.If they are on then you win!

So you say if the barometer lines are close together, the wind is going to be strong, and if they are apart the wind will be less? And the wind will be along or parallel to the isobarimetric lines in counter clockwise for high pressure zones and clockwise for low pressure zones? Lets hope that low pressure system in the bottom left corner stays where it is. And that the high pressure zone in south (mid) Australia is pushing further East, hopefully bringing some good weather next week :-)

didnt end up heading out today. still looked like a horrible day and i figure there needs to be a bit of sun to warm up the water to get the fish moving. might give it a crack tomorrow, barometer should still be rising then