Whoops!

Fab1

Big whoops!

How'd they go getting it back on the trailer do you know?

I don't know.

A few years ago at Nowra I watched in amazement as a solo boatie drove on his boat, jumped off over the side, climbed in his car, and was about to drive off,when I yelled out to him that his boat hadn't been secured with the safety chain/strap.

That boat was on a fully rollered trailer.

I always check my winch strap,safety chain, transom straps, 3× on the way to the ramp and 3× on the way home without fail.

Some would say i'm going overboard, but I'd rather that than be the one in the photo.

Sent from my GT-I8730T using Tapatalk

I don't know.

A few years ago at Nowra I watched in amazement as a solo boatie drove on his boat, jumped off over the side, climbed in his car, and was about to drive off,when I yelled out to him that his boat hadn't been secured with the safety chain/strap.

That boat was on a fully rollered trailer.

I always check my winch strap,safety chain, transom straps, 3× on the way to the ramp and 3× on the way home without fail.

Some would say i'm going overboard, but I'd rather that than be the one in the photo.

Mate I wouldn't say overboard with prep checks I'm similar! And touch wood no dramas at the ramp.. And hopefully none ever!

I remember at drummoyne seeing a brand new boat and must have been maiden voyage slid half off the trailer and smack the rear and engine leg into the ramp but instead of whiching back on for less damage they reversed and pushed in into the water as is

At Drummoyne there was a truck waiting to pull out a big cruiser. The got it on the trailer after a few goes and the truck pulled it out of the water and the engine leg scraped on the ramp every body was saying stop but the engine of the truck was too loud for the driver the hear so he drove up the ramp and the end of the engine leg was really damaged. He was really annoyed

I see so many people unhook their winch strap and safety chain reverse back with speed and then drive quickly forward to take the boat off. It's sooooo dangerous that boat could slide off at any time

Cheers sydneyfisher12

At Drummoyne there was a truck waiting to pull out a big cruiser. The got it on the trailer after a few goes and the truck pulled it out of the water and the engine leg scraped on the ramp every body was saying stop but the engine of the truck was too loud for the driver the hear so he drove up the ramp and the end of the engine leg was really damaged. He was really annoyed

I see so many people unhook their winch strap and safety chain reverse back with speed and then drive quickly forward to take the boat off. It's sooooo dangerous that boat could slide off at any time

Cheers sydneyfisher12

And get a slippery ramp and their vehicle will follow it in for a bath.

Americans love doing that with their big boats and bunked trailers then wonder why they end up with submerged vehicles on slippery ramps.

I think from what I've seen that people become flustered while trying to launch/retrieve their boats especially when it's busy.

They usually end up in a mad scramble to get their boats in/out so they don't hold anyone up, which often leeds to overlooking things and making mistakes.

If everyone has a plan and set routine that they go through in a timely fashion each and every time these costly errors in both property and ramp holdups can be minimized if not completely avoided.

If you ever have nothing to do, grab a few beers and go down to the local boat ramp and just sit and watch your in for a laugh. I've seen some funny things while launching my boat. I've seen the exact same thing as above done and it took about 10 guys to lift the boat back into the trailer.

I've seen a Middle Ages couple couple fighting as they were putting the boat in that was pretty funny. The wife in his ear saying seeing I told

You you never listen to me etc etc haha.

Watching is fine but it pings me off when some non boater spectator yells out advice like they know your trailer better than you lol.

One time me and my mate were loading up his old boat/trailer set up after a day out fishing. We had the boat almost winched up all the way but it was slightly off centre at the rear of the trailer. I decided to put the engine in reverse and the steering at full lock to bring it over a touch. Kept the winch strap hooked on obviously.

As I gradually eased the engine revs up this guy with stubbie in his hand is yelling out "mate you still got the winch hooked on" hahaha what a tool. He must had thought we were trying to launch the boat but didn't realise we just came in or have any idea what we were doing.

GOLDEN RULE.

Do not let anyone else but yourself hitch or unhitch your boat. >>>>

If you have not done it yourself >>> It is not done.

Do not ask your deckie have you done ????? Also talk to your deckie about what you do at a ramp.

What you want him to do until he knows your system. >>>>>>> COMMUNICATION.

I must admit I had a few misshaps at the ramp. Twice the engine down: Scratches tot he leg, and bending of the propeller. Forgot the bungs out. Forgot to untie the boat.

But I never ever unhook my boat from the winch. I do unock the safety chain.

I noticed I did those errors when I was tired, more then when I was rushed.

About three weeks ago I was at my local ramp with a mate. We had just launched his boat and I had finished parking his ute. I was walking down a walkway to the jetty next to the ramp and chatting to a bloke inside his boat as his mate was reversing it down.

It was a very nice custom built tri hull plate alloy boat. As it went down over the ramp I watched the boat start going quicker then the trailer and realized what was happening. I yelled out to the driver, to speed up as they weren't that far from the water but it was too late and the boat came crashing off and slid down nearly halfway into the water. Lucky the motor was up.

The bloke in the boat was the owner of the rig and the guy in the ute was giving it to him! He had undone the winch strap and the safety chain and was using an old piece of rope with a slip knot in it that he could pull the tag end from inside the boat. Rope was so worn out that it just broke.

Was actually quite amazing to watch first hand!!