NAVIONICS - BOATING AU & NZ APP FOR ANDROID

quintrex

How useful is this app? Because of back disc degeneration I no longer can spend much time at sea so I don't need a gps based app for my limited sea use. My Garmin 72 is quite adequate for this use. I am however looking for an app that has useful gps active charts of Sydney Harbour and the Hawkesbury/Pittwater.

Yeah, I absolutely love this App. I've already got a Lowrance GPS/sounder on the boat which I bought about 5 years back with Navionics charts. I decided to get the app just for a back up and for planning trips with a beer on the couch sort of thing. What blew me away is that the app gives you both the normal Navionics Charts and also a thing called Sonar Charts which I believe is put together from back to base relays from all of their newer sounders on the water. The detail on this chart is just incredible compared to the standard Navionics map with 1m rather than 5m topography intervals. I've already spied out a number of holes, walls and other structures to check out which I'd never known of previously.

An example at North Head

Normal Map:

post-12761-0-76681100-1412132380_thumb.png

Sonar Charts:

post-12761-0-27073700-1412132357_thumb.png

Only negative on the app is that it chews your battery up something fierce when you have the location services on.

Edited by Mr Squidy

Guest Aussie007

the sonar chart pics as Mr Squidy posted i call them depth contour lines have put me on to plenty of flat head, i use my iphone which has the sonar chart too and its only a 3rd generatration phone so if it goes in the drink its cheap and cheerful to replace, the iphone last all day with navionics running but u cant beat the big wide 10.1" screen saves u a few thousand over a dedicated chartplotter

I use it on my iphone, Really keen to get my iphone 6 delivered to see how it looks on a bigger screen.

Also tempted to download this on my android tablet and take that instead.

Doesn't chew through my battery life I just switch cellar data off and that seems to do the trick.

Great app.

post-24014-0-61427000-1412295857_thumb.png

• 4 months later...

Hey guys, I'm going to revive this post as I think I need some extra info...

How long does a 100% charged iphone6+ hold the battery life for while using this app all the time with the screen open?

Is it better than a cheaper gps option?

Will it lose coverage 20kms out?

Can I wire an iPhone charger safely into my boat?

Thanks.

For the charger bit don't bother wiring anything up. Get yourself a power pack. You can get small ones that will charge any phone fully for $30. Great for travel too. And you wouldn't have the phone open the whole time anyway. Only while going from a to b

For the charger bit don't bother wiring anything up. Get yourself a power pack. You can get small ones that will charge any phone fully for $30. Great for travel too. And you wouldn't have the phone open the whole time anyway. Only while going from a to b

A-B could be a long way! then B-A too... just making sure its not going to die 45 mins in to a trip. I have a small charger kit... great idea, I'll keep that charged! But honestly... i'm very forgetful at times, might be better to wire up the 12v car charger like Steve says as safety!

Piece of cake wiring in a charger / car 12v socket . Just 2 wires. Simples!

Yep, I'm another one who has it on a android phone. I installed a ciggy socket so I could charge my phone while in use on the boat.... as the others have said definitely chews your battery up while in use.

• 1 month later...

When I came across this app I decided I’m going to mount my IPad for better viewing, the only setback I have it does not stay on all the time, there is no settings on the app itself to stop it from going to sleep while navigating but that’s not a big issue, what I like and I’m going to buy is the Wi-Fi SonarPhone SP200 T-BOX transducer, so far I had seen good reviews this fish finder that also links up with the Navionics app and enables you to view the live sonar and charts on split screen or by itself.

Just wandering if somebody is using it, I like to hear how it compares to a normal fish finder and if is worth buying it…

Edited by latindog

I also highly rate this app, its great!

I got myself a power pack as previously mentioned. It will fully charge my phone/ipad 3 times on one charge, I also have a 12V socket with a car charger for backup but try not to use with only one battery on board through fear of flattening while drifting.

When I came across this app I decided I’m going to mount my IPad for better viewing, the only setback I have it does not stay on all the time, there is no settings on the app itself to stop it from going to sleep while navigating but that’s not a big issue, what I like and I’m going to buy is the Wi-Fi SonarPhone SP200 T-BOX transducer, so far I had seen good reviews this fish finder that also links up with the Navionics app and enables you to view the live sonar and charts on split screen or by itself.

latindog - you can set the iphone/ipad itself to not sleep - Settings>General>Auto-Lock Select 'Never' and the device will not lock or sleep (will use more battery though). I have not connected the app to a transducer but also curious to find out how it goes.

Tef1on - I have used it 15km out with no coverage issues, I guess it would depend on your carrier - no issues with Telstras coverage to date!

Guest no one

Awww man this is a really old topic that's been reborn by someone. I used Navionics and done upto 25 nm's out and it works fine! Couldn't rate it high enough