New bag limit 10

eastwood1980

Was reading smh this morning New fishing rules come into force. Page 9

So from 20 to 10 now, what do you guys think about it?

Heard that 80 to 90% of our fish caught commercially gets sent overseas and they are not allowing us to catch more then 10 and it's recreational fishing not commercial. On top of that we are paying for licence.

Kinda confused. Are we cutting the limit so government can send more of our stocks oversea? Really confused

Please give us your opinion

Personally if you ask me 10 luderick for me is enough that's 20 fillets and I really only take what I need for a couple of feeds and a couple for my neighbours! There's usually at least three of us fishing every weekend so between us everyone's pretty. Mic assured a feed.

20 luderick is a lot of fish actually 20 anything is a big feed if they are decent size I think it's about sustainability and really think about it there's no commercial activity in a lot of waterways that's what your licence fees contributed to the buy back! So in saying I think it has nothing to do with what allegedly gets caught commercially and where it's sent my feeling is it is about sustaining rec fisheries for our future. Just my two bobs worth!

The current "powers that be" promised to only make scientifically backed decisions regarding size and bag limit changes, while i applaud there changes to mulloway which is commonly seen to be in decline there is no data (that i have seen) to suggest the cut backs on these new species are justified.

Further to this it is not common (have never done it myself) to catch 20 bream but i do routinely go past 10 and this helps to make up for the outings where i score a doughnut.

A lot of people will say that 10 bream is enough and yes it is enough for a single family but if we look at the cost of seafood in this country i know for a fact if i wasnt giving the elderly neighbours a feed of fish every time i am successfull then they would simply not be able to afford "fresh local" seafood due to the prohibitive cost.

Cheers

Andy

Either way black market is illegal so I don't think they will be really bothered with the bag limit.

E.g say a person caught 10 fish in 30min and obviously his going to keep fishing, what if every time that person catches a larger fish he chuck one of his small fish out. When I go LB and check peoples buckets most of the fish are dead already. So they would be chucking out a smaller fish (dead) to replace with a larger one.

What a waste, I can imagine people doing that, it's like you caught just undersize fish and we know that the fish won't survive but still by law we have to chuck it back out.

While 10 fish is a good idea for most species, or less for certain species, a limit of 10 ocean jackets (chinaman or yellow species) would not put a dent in their numbers, and your fishing could be over in 10 minutes when they turn up in huge numbers and you cannot catch anything else.

If you catch 10 legal fish in 30 mins then you should be using common sense 4 or 5 fish in, knowing you're on a hot bite then selecting which fish you wish to keep.

Possession limits are enforced too meaning you can keep X but hold X+Y amount in you possession. If this is happening it is the anglers responsibility to return all fish over the limit back safely, if you're lobbing them in an un-aerated bucket and their dying this is an angler error and the dead fish should count towards your bag limit.

Look this can be debated over and over by fact is rules are rules and now we need to stick to them and do our part to sustain our oceans. Commercial fisheries debates can go on and on and yes you might feel we’re being punished for the over fishing of commercial vessels but we need to do what we can as Australian anglers.

The points about helping feed your neighbours and friends… everyone could use this excuse and double up on a limit claiming they have a family of 50 to feed, it’s not fair on the rest of us who stick to the rules. Everyone is in a different situation in life but this new law is brought in to make it even for everyone.

Personally I can take 20 Flathead fillets home and feed my family for 2 weeks, and get 5 -10 meals out of it. That is more than enough for me for 2 weeks! If you feel you need more then go on more fishing trips.

Rules are rules… remember them and don’t take a risk in thinking you can get away with taking more, I expect there’s going to be a lot of inspectors out in the coming weeks looking to catch people out on this!

If you catch 10 legal fish in 30 mins then you should be using common sense 4 or 5 fish in, knowing you're on a hot bite then selecting which fish you wish to keep.

Possession limits are enforced too meaning you can keep X but hold X+Y amount in you possession. If this is happening it is the anglers responsibility to return all fish over the limit back safely, if you're lobbing them in an un-aerated bucket and their dying this is an angler error and the dead fish should count towards your bag limit.

Look this can be debated over and over by fact is rules are rules and now we need to stick to them and do our part to sustain our oceans. Commercial fisheries debates can go on and on and yes you might feel we’re being punished for the over fishing of commercial vessels but we need to do what we can as Australian anglers.

The points about helping feed your neighbours and friends… everyone could use this excuse and double up on a limit claiming they have a family of 50 to feed, it’s not fair on the rest of us who stick to the rules. Everyone is in a different situation in life but this new law is brought in to make it even for everyone.

Personally I can take 20 Flathead fillets home and feed my family for 2 weeks, and get 5 -10 meals out of it. That is more than enough for me for 2 weeks! If you feel you need more then go on more fishing trips.

Rules are rules… remember them and don’t take a risk in thinking you can get away with taking more, I expect there’s going to be a lot of inspectors out in the coming weeks looking to catch people out on this!

Fair call.

Now that I have looked at the new rules from the Fisheries website, the bag limit changes of 10 maximum are for tailor, bream and tarwhine combined, trevally, blackfish and blue swimmers.

There is still a 20 limit for mullet, jackets, flounder and soles combined, and whiting.

Edited by yowie

Look this can be debated over and over by fact is rules are rules and now we need to stick to them and do our part to sustain our oceans. Commercial fisheries debates can go on and on and yes you might feel were being punished for the over fishing of commercial vessels but we need to do what we can as Australian anglers.

The points about helping feed your neighbours and friends everyone could use this excuse and double up on a limit claiming they have a family of 50 to feed, its not fair on the rest of us who stick to the rules. Everyone is in a different situation in life but this new law is brought in to make it even for everyone.

Rules are rules remember them and dont take a risk in thinking you can get away with taking more, I expect theres going to be a lot of inspectors out in the coming weeks looking to catch people out on this!

Hope your right about the inspector thing but reality I doubt it because government needs to send out inspector to make up for their salary and profit. Just being realistic here. For few years only seen 1 inspector.

2 things to note.....

There is a 3 month introduction period of the new rules.

* when posting on this site make sure your captures are within size and bag limits. It is your responsibility! If you are unsure then DON'T post.

Cheers scratchie!!! Mod team

I agree with Tef1on, why take home more than you need. I have been fortunate enough to catch a considerable amount of jews since I started targeting them three years ago, I live by myself, so a half decent sized jew feeds me for weeks, why take home every one I catch. I cant remember the last time I took one home, Id have to say early last year atleast, since I have usually got flatties in the fridge or freezer anyhow.

Rules are rules, and have been set to make it even for everyone. If your neighbours want fish, then start fishing. I would love to see more inspections to tell you the truth, especially at night along the Georges. The amount of arguments I have had, mostly because the people that keep small fish are complaining that the bream, flatties they catch are of no size, well if you keep 15-20cm fish all the time, how do you expect them to get bigger and breed??

I'm fine with a bag limit of 10. I often set my own limits lower than regs anyway. My only concern is that the changes were made without the use of science. Back it up, I say!

I was at Nelson Bay break wall in September and watched 2 blokes cleaning their 20 bag limit of bream each. The majority of fish were only just on legal. Within the rules, sure, but I often release those just on the minimum length and like to set my own minimum length. Each to their own, I guess!

Baz

Edited by Berleyguts

Apathy by fishos .How may of you put in a submission to fisheries on the proposed changes to laws before they came in. There have been posts and links put up to have a say. This will not be the end of changes. Previous post. Bag limits where ok. It is the size that is the issue. Bream 25cm really come on,luderick27cm to 30cm etc leave the bag limits the same. Crabs 6cm small change to 8cm no females to be taken at all. Ban witches hat traps, that was the reason for looking at crabs because turtles get caught in them. Have never seen a turtle in Lake Illawarra ever. These are all mainly summer fish not winter. People complain they cant catch them, it is no use trying to catch crabs in the middle of winter when the water temp is low. like trying to catch mahi mahi in winter. The old saying 10%of people catch 90% of the fish true but they put the wok in to understand what is happening out on the water Not just turn up at the place and expect to catch fish, then complain there are no fish. Have your say fish.review@dpi.nsw.gov.au

Edited by mowie1

interesting that labour were up in arms about it, when it was they that introduced the marine parks! oops politics , sorry

overall some losses, some gains, not too bothered about it as I rarely reach a bag anyway (but getting better) more concerned about marine parks, as it makes it difficult sometimes to find a spot to put the boat as there are no painted lines on the sea!