Balmoral - 13/11/14

SgtBundy

Did a "I want to go fishing" night trip last night to Balmoral. Rocked up around 10pm - very quiet out with only one other guy on the jetty who was not there long - the fishing part of the jetty was partially blocked off (the low water landings) due to fresh paint, so heads up that there is work going on there.

Straight away I was getting picker hits on pilchards - small pinkies and later a small tailor. I also had a full squid out under a float just to prospect. There was plenty of yakka activity and soon I noticed some movement on my float. First retrieve it was mostly mauled, so I set out a fresh one. About 15 minutes later the float took off, I took up line and as I did it went nuts - nothing massive but it was darting around a lot and of course it went straight for my other line. Crap. It put up a fight but was not going to be a match for the gear I was using, and turned out to be a nice 35cm tailor. He actually got jagged in the side by the rig - not sure if that was when I took up the line but he was after the squid at any rate.

After about 20 minutes of untangling the two lines I set them both back out and enjoyed an orange half moon rise around midnight. About that time my pilchard bottom rig went nuts and a 25cm bream gave me a decent scrap for his size on my lighter rod. He was sent back as I find the smaller bream not worth killing for a feed.

After that I noticed slight movement on the floated squid and felt no weight, but when I brought it in I had a jagged yakka who promptly took the place of the squid as a live bait.

By that time I figured I might as well wait for the 2:30am high tide change and see if a jewie takes an interest in my livie but I probably should have called it a night then. No more activity up to and over the tide change, and even the yakkas that were prolific all night were not about. At about 3:30 I called it a night.