The HOLLY GRAIL!!??

Ryan.f

Hi Fishraiders, hope everyone is well.

so yesterday I headed out around middle harbour with @DerekD as he was kind enough to take me through how to fish for black fish. The day started pretty slow with not much interest from the blackfish, just as we were about to head to another location the float finally went down and I was on to a nice blackfish. We decided to stick around for abit longer and see if we could land a few more fish and this is where it started to get interesting….

I was on to my third blackfish of the day when a hurngry kingfish came charging past to see what was going on. We noticed a few bust ups around us throughout the morning too so @DerekD said I think you should get a soft plastic out and try your luck, so I did. I grabbed my little 7ft spin rod and tied on a large pink slug-go on a 1/2 jig head and started working the area. On my 4th cast I had a massive hit followed by some big head shakes and line zipping off the real. After a great fight on the light gear the fish was finally close enough to see what it was, ITS A JEWFISH!! Or as Derek said it’s the HOLLY GRAIL aha. Poor Derek then had to run to the car to grab the net which was at the top of a large flight of stairs. He was also kind enough to grab his camera too and once we landed the fish he took some great pics for me. After some pics and a measure (80cm) it was released safely.

I then continued to work the area and was soon on to another fish a 30cm tailor which hooked himself through the belly. I released the tailor but unfortunately for him not long after a big bust up happened right where I released it which we suspected was a kingfish. With the thought of catching my first kingfish racing through my head I kept on going.

finally the moment I’ve been waiting for… a big hit and line stripping off the reel I was on to king fish. After a a brutal fight and trying to keep the fish away from every piece of structure it went for, which was pretty much all around me I finally landed my first king fish and at just over 65cm it was a legal size too.

what a crazy session!! My first jewfish and kingfish, both legal size and all on the light gear it was so much fun. I’m having trouble uploading some of the photos so I’ll attach them tomorrow once I figure it out.

Thanks again @DerekD an amazing day and great memories 

6A60C2DB-1779-4E11-AF24-77EE042A558F.jpeg

A89E0BA1-1CD3-47F5-8B89-CC5A41253228.jpeg

76243813-0590-4952-AF14-6C6974998893.jpeg

Edited by Ryan.f
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Well, there you go. Young Derek has put you onto the fish.

80cm jewie is a good one at any time, and a legal kingie to top it off. What more could you want (the winning powerball numbers would be nice 🤣)

A blackfish and a tailor, and you are going well as a new fisho on Fishraider.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Yowie said:

80cm jewie is a good one at any time, and a legal kingie to top it off. What more could you want (the winning powerball numbers would be nice 🤣)

16 hours ago, Yowie said:

@Yowie thanks mate @DerekD is the man. He’s showed me so much in such a short space of time I’m very thankful to have him show me the ropes. The winning power ball numbers would of been great though 😂

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

That's fantastic @Ryan.f! There's a lot of anglers out there who haven't yet landed a jewie on a lure (present company included)! To top it off with a king just tops it off!

Well done on a great day out and hats off to @DerekD to get you up to speed so quickly!

Thanks mate ye I feel very lucky aha. I’m sure you’ll get one soon enough mate :)

• Like 2

Hi @Ryan.f,

Thank you sometimes goes both ways. I've enjoyed your company during these learning sessions and the passion you have in trying things makes it a pleasure to mentor you. I've been really impressed at how quickly you've picked up a lot of the techniques and philosophies behind what I'm showing you.

I did the numbers this morning and realised with an 80cm mulloway, a 65cm kingfish, a 30cm tailor, 2 legal and 1 just under legal blackfish that you caught over 2.5m of fish on Saturday (if you laid them head to tail).

If we'd scored a salmon and flathead too on Saturday I would have told you not to worry about the lottery as you probably used up all your fishing luck for the day. Having said that I believe technique was a bigger factor in your success than luck. You worked for and earned every one of the fish you landed. We were also lucky in the order they were caught. Those blackfish allowed us to discuss fighting techniques and an awareness of adjacent structures. That mulloway was excellent practice on how to bring in and control a larger fish. The tailor was good learning for the working of the slug-go lure and the bump I keep talking about. The kingfish gave you an opportunity to put it all together.

Well done and looking forward to our next session. Probably yabbie (ghost nippers) pumping and 40cm plus whiting on the sandflats.

Regards,

Derek

PS. I pointed out to Ryan on the day that a mulloway, and especially a legal one, is a Holy Grail of Sydney fishing for many people. 

Edited by DerekD
  • Like 4

8 hours ago, Bennyg78 said:

Holy smokes!!! What a session, I hope you bought a lottery ticket after that session, thats one to remember.

I am green with envy those are some great fish you have caught there @Ryan.f

Keep it up!!

@Bennyg78 thanks very much mate. I feel very lucky maybe I will buy a lottery ticket 😂

• Like 1