Help please transducer mounting issue

timmy180883

Hi raiders,

I just installed a Garmin echo map 70vd with down VU, I used it for the first time today and it worked well, it is a lot better then my old lowrance unit and was good value for money, but water splashes up when going over 10mph, when I go max speed for my quintrex which is 30mph the water streams over a 1.5m high, I tried lowering it and raising it as far as The screws let me when I installed it but same issue, did I install it too low or high ? I have have attached some pics, I would appreciate your feedback thanks

post-34255-0-17388600-1418636288_thumb.jpg

post-34255-0-65617400-1418636329_thumb.jpg

post-34255-0-51110700-1418636370_thumb.jpg

post-34255-0-69998900-1418636418_thumb.jpg

I may be way off course here but I think the actual size , in particular the length , which you cannot do anything about , is the problem & when on the plane the trailing edge "digs" in causing the spray to occure.

At presant you have the transducer leval with the bottom of the boat which is the normal position. Perhaps try to raise the trailing edge slightly so it's leval with the water when on the plane rather than the bottom of the boat.

With this change it will not be digging in so much.

Geoff

Hi mate,

I have the same transducer. I will send you pics of mine if you want. I don't get a rooster tail like you.

From what I see, it looks to far down. Mine is a lot higher, so that round curve on the transducer sits level with the boat.

Also, unless it is the angle, the transducer doesn't look straight.

Another point, I personally would of moved the transducer to the right as the bottom of the boat seems a little flatter there and you won't get much turbulance.

A glass boat like yours Dave will allow the transducer to mount higher, if the OP raises the transducer to be equal with the bottom of the boat it will lose reading due to the fact that alloy boats are not very "clean" thru the water. If he is getting good readings up on the plane then I would fit the spray deflector and it will stop the rooster tail.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...