Sydney Harbour Blackfish

Sydneyfisher12

G'day raiders

yesterday me and andrew (ryder) hit the harbour for a blackfish session

we arrived about 9am and andrew pulled a good fish on the first drift we got plenty of downs and alot of missed fish the bite was on and off and we ended up with 13 fish and two very good fish at 41cm and 43cm the rest were all around 31-37cm

all were released except for one

cheers sydenyfisher12

post-33466-0-84671500-1420604540_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sydneyfisher12

G'day raiders

yesterday me and andrew (ryder) hit the harbour for a blackfish session

we arrived about 9am and andrew pulled a good fish on the first drift we got plenty of downs and alot of missed fish the bite was on and off and we ended up with 13 fish and two very good fish at 41cm and 43cm the rest were all around 31-37cm

all were released except for one

cheers sydenyfisher12

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Hiya Sydneyfisher

How do you get all those live fish to stay in such a nice straight line on the brag mat?

Cheers

Blood Knot

Guest hawkesbass

They calm down once they have been in a keepers net for a while.

I liken it too fish in a tank they know they cannot move around much and just relax themselves.

I have also learnt take three to five photos at the time in case one decides to play up.

I learned from Trevor, they calm right down in the keeper net.

Some do flap around, just make it quick.

When we released them, we speared them in. Most take off like a shot.

Some may hang around for a minute or 2 then take off.

If they do struggle, we net them up, and swim them.

I learned from Trevor, they calm right down in the keeper net.

Some do flap around, just make it quick.

When we released them, we speared them in. Most take off like a shot.

Some may hang around for a minute or 2 then take off.

If they do struggle, we net them up, and swim them.

Thx Ryder - Interesting, must have something to do with the reduced water flow through the gills. Never thought much about before

Cheers

Blood Knot

Thx Ryder - Interesting, must have something to do with the reduced water flow through the gills. Never thought much about before

Cheers

Blood Knot

Id have to agree with blood knot being kept in a keepers net for hours can't be good for the health of the fish, I've also read elsewhere that the slime and scales protect the fish from infections and disease etc and the keeper net most likely damages some of that

luderick are a very hardy species I have caught more fish than I have had hot dinners with bits and pieces missing that have healed! I practice catch and release the same way as Ryder but also want a couple for a feed and sort out the best conditioned fish and release the rest any fatalities are not wasted either end up on the plate or as nice slab bait for mulloway! Each to their own preference on catch and release I say!

luderick are a very hardy species I have caught more fish than I have had hot dinners with bits and pieces missing that have healed! I practice catch and release the same way as Ryder but also want a couple for a feed and sort out the best conditioned fish and release the rest any fatalities are not wasted either end up on the plate or as nice slab bait for mulloway! Each to their own preference on catch and release I say!

when fishing the ocean rocks and there have been a few Luderick caught I have often kept some gut and fished the evening for bream and snapper......all that burley going in.....beautifull !!!!!!

great effort guys i always read with interest the blackfish updates, its interesting though as i always thought that winter was the gun time but you guys seem to continue getting quality fish into summer, are they are an all year proposition in the harbour? or are you pretty adjacent to ocean rocks?

Look for structures that have kelp growing around them or nearby.

Bridge pylons, pontoons, jettys wharfs or walls.

I haven't tried fly for them, but you need to berley them up.

We do get them year round in the harbour, with the exception of August.

I think it just seems like they are a winter species, when other fish come on in the warmer months not many folks still target blackfish.

They chase kingies etc.

As for weed aha..... A man could get himself in serious trouble.

There is heaps of cabbage weed on the ocean rocks at low tide.

Check rock pools, and ocean baths for the string weed.

The string seems better bait in the harbour, but the cabbage also works.

I usually grab a bit of both, berley with both, start fishing with string and have cabbage as a backup.

Ryder

Look for structures that have kelp growing around them or nearby.

Bridge pylons, pontoons, jettys wharfs or walls.

I haven't tried fly for them, but you need to berley them up.

We do get them year round in the harbour, with the exception of August.

I think it just seems like they are a winter species, when other fish come on in the warmer months not many folks still target blackfish.

They chase kingies etc.

As for weed aha..... A man could get himself in serious trouble.

There is heaps of cabbage weed on the ocean rocks at low tide.

Check rock pools, and ocean baths for the string weed.

The string seems better bait in the harbour, but the cabbage also works.

I usually grab a bit of both, berley with both, start fishing with string and have cabbage as a backup.

Ryder

thanks for the advice

Hi Ryder thankyou for feedback in the past I havehad some fun on the blackfish at Tuggerah lakes and hawks nest and nelsons bay but always when on holidays in the winter mainly and I have certainly neglected the harbour close to home. If you don't mind be asking I assume you are using running floats and not fixed so as to deal with the deeper water in the harbour? regards Harry01

• 3 weeks later...