Big Suprised Muddy

gianniz

Went to Roseville to collect bait and to my surprise there was a huge muddy just sitting few centimetres of water.

Thought about grabbing with my hand but those huge claws made me run to my car to get my net!

Result

IMG_20141216_210545_zps27825f5a.jpg

IMG_20141216_215859_zpsd6974b44.jpg

Bloody good feed :)

That's awesome! Not many people get a chance to see a muddie in it's natural surroundings, let alone catch it! Must find some time to go out and catch some.....

Wise move with the net... those things don't let go after they bite.. even AFTER you have separated the claw from the body!

That's awesome! Not many people get a chance to see a muddie in it's natural surroundings, let alone catch it! Must find some time to go out and catch some.....

Wise move with the net... those things don't let go after they bite.. even AFTER you have separated the claw from the body!

Dynabolt sounds like you speak from experience!!

That is enormous! It fills the bucket.

And that is not luck, firstly great skill to see it, then think quickly to get the net, net it without it haring off and then dodging those monster claws.

A top effort. Is there a record for Mud crab?

Cheers

Paikea

predator I'll let you know when I get some nice looking shrimps :)

btw it's my third time catching muddies at Roseville. all similar size but the one in the picture had the biggest claws so far, hope next trip to Roseville will beat that record :)

oh and next muddy will turn in to chilli mud crab just like seasponge :)

Dynabolt sounds like you speak from experience!!

Well, it's what my mum told me. Plus my local fishmonger has a sign up next to the box of muddies saying that when they bite they don't let go. And I assumed that as this happens with nippers, it would most certainly apply for muddies :) Plus I am absolutely not game to try out the theory myself!!!!! :sun:

seasponge, thanks for the link, but with my cooking skills, I'll ruin the crab so I bought a chili muddy in a bottle from an Asian groceries and it is sitting in my cupboard waiting to be used (and hopefully very soon) lol

not sure the scientific name but I call them long arm shrimp as well as it has a long arm! lol

they are harmless scavengers, the long claw has virtually no strength, it's just for shows :)

u got my number predator :) see u tomorrow.

That is enormous! It fills the bucket.

And that is not luck, firstly great skill to see it, then think quickly to get the net, net it without it haring off and then dodging those monster claws.

A top effort. Is there a record for Mud crab?

Cheers

Paikea

Yeah what quick thinking, a net, who would have thought? :puke:

Edited by srollo

Hey nice muddy but I thought you arent allowed to take any invertebrate from sydney harbour. Maybe someone who knows better could clarify? I thought thats why you never see crab pots or people pumping nippers in sydney harbour or its tributaries but see the hawkesbury get smashed.

ko76, rosevilles middle harbour so it's ok. Though I just checked fisheries and found this to be stupid and ridiculous rule. Can someone clarifiy this?

Sydney Harbour - Intertidal Protected Areas

All species of cunjevoi (Pyura spp.) and invertebrates, except abalone, eastern rocklobster (Jasus verreauxi) and southern rocklobster (Jasus edwardsii

Inverterbates are anything without backbone so things like squid is part of it. So does this mean no squidding??? kinda sounds like bullshit to me.