Right hooks for bream and flathead?

Holls

Hi everyone. Been getting into some good sized bream and flatties out of my kayak. But I seem to drop quite a few. I'm using 1/0 or 2/0 longshanks with live bait. Should I go to a suicide or something?

I bring them up slowly, but a last shake of flattie spits the hook before I can get the net under them. Bream likewise. Appreciate any experienced fisher!

Edited by Holls

try octopus circle hooks in 3/0 as well they seem to work for me, steady gradual load onto the rod, no need to strike as they will either unfortunately gut hook themselves or hook on the side of the mouth.

when using long shanks and alike, i find that striking hard first works, then bringing them up . need to set the hook yourself with long shanks and suicides etc.

also if you can see its a flatty, its best to avoid lifting its head out of the water until you are certain it is in the net, so its best to bring the net into the water and scoop it out from under as opposed to skimming the surface of the water with the net and the fish flopping about on the surface.

also if you can see its a flatty, its best to avoid lifting its head out of the water until you are certain it is in the net, so its best to bring the net into the water and scoop it out from under as opposed to skimming the surface of the water with the net and the fish flopping about on the surface.

That's good advice Ojay. I think I get a bit anxious with rod and net, need to let the net lift the fish from under the water! They rattle like crazy once the head is out. Better put a small extension on my net handle. Have had a lot of misses with circle hooks. My style, I like to wait until the fish starts to run and then strike. Don't go for the passive, 'wait til the fish hooks itself', but I might set up a circle hook rig on a second rod. Thanks.

Edited by Holls

+1 gamakatsu 3-4/0 circle for lizards, I don't bait bream so no input from me on that one.

Bream cant resist live mullet, same as flatties. Got some gamakatsu circles so will give them a go on a second rod!