Catch ratio lures vs bait

Fab1

Just thought I'd put the ? Out there for those of you who have/do use both.

Do lures outfish bait in your opinion?or vice versa?

It will be Intresting to hear people's responses as I can tell you where I fish in the Estuaries it seems to me to be the later from my own observations and the people I've spoken to over the years.

Maybe it depends what water your fishing,species,seasons,time of day.....etc,etc.

I wouldn't know as I don't fish lures/plastics,theres something about bait fishing to me that is a bit like an open log fire compared to a immitation gas one,the gas one just doesn't come close.

To me nothing compares to gathering my own bait and prepping it to hopefully end up with a catch at the end of the day.

Ohh and the smell all over you when you get home and cuddle the mrs,priceless.

Lets here your thoughts.

Cheers.

My limited general experience is bait catches a higher quantity of fish, but lures catch a better quality of fish. That said. I've recently invested in some squid jigs to try and improve the quality of the bait I'm using (previous baits have always been whatever I can procure from the supermarket).

Little bit of the where's when's and what's. For flathead, bream etc, plastics Outfish bait by a long shot. For whiting, bait only for me. Deep sea, always bait for me. Jewfish, bait for me but getting more common on plastics. Fresh water, lures only for me. Too many variables in the equation to say ones better than the other. What I love about plastics is the by catch and pickers are basically eliminated, giving you a clearer indication of what's in the area, saves a lot of time and wasted bait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree it's very situational. My wife and I fish a couple of the estuary systems for a week at a stretch a couple of times a year. She is a bait only fisherwoman and I mix between plastics and bait (the latter particularly when the wind gets up or I want a coffee and a laze).

For flathead my plastics always outfish her bait. Less by-catch but always the bigger fish. Typically around 2:1 me to her for legal Duskies. For Bream she currently holds the aces, but I am certainly no expert and don't really target them.

For Kingies we target them with live or fresh bait and haven't tried lures. We don't troll much but when we do it's always lures, and get Bonnnies and Mack Tuna.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Live beaut beats everything I reckon, all

Lures do is imitate a live bait. What not use the real thing

The reason being, you throw a bait out, you are only covering the one area, with an imitation, you throw it all around the fishing area without harm to the livie. It's all situational and target species.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm. Before i did use lot of worm baits and some hardbodys and spinners.

After that, when i start use softplastic, i have use bait very rarely. By softplastic i have been catch last 3 years more big perch that last 30 years when i did use worms. So...but now i did made some fishbait rigs with big hooks and steel wire.

I use all lures and baits...but last 3 years i have been use mainly softplastics...rarely spinners, spoons and hardbodys, and really rarely baits.

Jani

Guest stephanb79

Lately I have only been fishing with hard bodies and soft plastics love them..

we did a day with bait and plastics at spencer and plastics won caught 5 flatties with a mate who used bait got zip !! Again plastics and lure fishing is not for everyone but I love it

I've converted to lures in a huge way as of a couple of years ago, it's a whole different style and it certainly produces the goods for me! Situation dependent. But I agree with Adam you definitely end up with more quality fish as the pickers are eliminated more. And you cover more water quickly. Bait definitely still has a place for me. For example breaming if I throw an unweighted prawn down the side of a pontoon versus a plastic on the same pontoon 9/10 times the prawn gets nailed quick smart and the plastic has slightly less success.

Luring is very versatile. I keep my rod and my lures in the back of the car so if I stop off for an hour I can clean up on bream. So in that sense it does catch more [emoji14]

Bait... I fish to relax and couldn't think of anything less relaxing then constantly throwing lures. Bait in, rod in rest, feet kicked up... Brilliant!

Over a few years I've purchased 3 new plastics combos and each is just getting better and better

I love lure fishing for whatever

Weather it's finicky bream in tight structure or in a hungry bust up of frigate mackerel or salmon and stuff

I still use bait but with bait I normally get smaller fish e.g. I normally use bread for bream and can't get past the little ones but occasionally that big one will come. Sometimes with bait it's every cast and with lures every 30th cast

I love using lures because of the challenge

I would much rather get a PB on a lure than a bait

Hope I'm not offending any bait fishos there cause yes I still do love fishing with bait but lures are just a highlight in fishing for me

It's a great challenge and awesome fun

I have also been using ultra light tackle for everything lately which is just awesome!

Kings and frigate mackerel or bream and flatties

Cheers Gianni

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have only ever succeeded with bait. Lures and soft plastic, I have tried and tried and tried, and disappointingly always come up empty.

I dream of smashing them in on plastic, it's such a success in my mind, an art, catching a fish by fooling it! I will continue to try, but again, I just disappoint myself every time.

I have so much stocked soft plastic, and nothing.

However I just recalled I caught a golden perch on one of my very rare fresh water outings. It was a baby, was released, but the satisfaction was huge.

But my usual, rock, reef and surf favourites, unfortunately have led to nothing. I need to find some one that can show me the art form one day, the videos, DVDs, articles etc have not helped! Maybe I'm just useless with it haha.

Soaking a bait is great but you know how it is ,your sitting there thinking gee its quiet. So you wind in and blow me down no bait on the hook. Hmmm how long has it been like that

At least with plastic/ poppers etc I know when I am in the zone 100% of the time and I know it's working.

As for success rates between the two , well Ryder was right - it is a big packet of wrigglers / worms , whatever!!

I got fed up with pickers when bait fishing for smaller species so I prefer plastics now when I want to chase bream or flathead, they work and I have got a number on them - still yet to crack anything solid though but I think that is more to do with location and access.

Off the beach nearly exclusively bait - but I have got a combo with the intent of soaking a bait for jewies with one rod while I use the other to throw metals or hardbodies to keep myself occupied.

Leaning more towards lures where I can because the stink of mullet getting into everything is getting annoying.

good thread.

I like the plastics if you just want to have a quick go somewhere and its

good practice for my bait caster

But like tef1on says, bait is a very relaxing way to go, and sometimes if good just to catch something

even though 9/10 you've got to release it for being too little