Buying my first boat

Robertos87

G'day guys, hope you're all well. Looking at FINALLY buying my first boat, and I could really use some help. I only have a budget of around $2500 to spend. Initially I figured I would probably be looking at a small tinnie for the price, but I see a lot of bigger runabouts and half cabs that are a little older. The majority of my trips would be with my wife and two young boys, or a few mates, I do think a runabout or half cab would suit my needs better.

Just wondering, if people are letting them go at this price am I buying a hunk of junk? Or is it reasonable to think I could get a decent rig for that price? I have found one boat that I have become a little smitten with. It's a 15 foot half cabin with a 50 HP Mercury on the back. Had a chat to the guy and he said the motors a bit old but runs really well. It's advertised for $3500 but he has told me he would go down to $2500.

I plan to have a look at it, but to be honest, not completely sure of what I need to check for. Can anyone help out with some advice on what to ask and what to look for? I've attached a few photos below. I'm so excited to be finally getting a boat, don't want to screw it up and get myself a lemon. Thanks in advance guys.

post-23155-0-84458300-1426948826_thumb.jpgpost-23155-0-02094900-1426948831_thumb.jpg

Edited by Robertos87

mmmmmmm for 2500 you maybe pick up a bargain but you could also pick up a black hole for money check out the trailer for rust everything else can be fixed

the boat well check the ass end is not soft

stand on the motor and look for flex in the transom

get under the dash and look for cracks were the dash meets the hull

for 2500 i would properly assume the motor is crap but you never know get it checked and ask for the last service details eg when was the impela changed if the impela is stuffed it could well be fouling the cooling system

2500 is a very cheap budget and there is a saying you only get what you pay for i could be wrong but at the end off the day you just want to go fishing with the family with no hassles

i was in your shoes many moons ago with an old boat and it cost me thousands i finally bit the bullet and got a new motor then a new boat

personally i would use the 2500 as a deposit on a new tinny then you would have years off hassle free fun with the family with no problems sorry for being the bearer of bad news cheers gary

canopy will be cactus

all that leaf little would have block the bungs up so water would have been sitting in the boat i be the floor is knackered

that merc is a blue or red band ? over 30 years old
will need new tyres

the photos arnt clear enough or enough of them to offer to many opinions
2500 buys a nice tinny

My advice is to look at that boat in three different sections then make a final decision.

Starting at the trailer:

Is it registered?If not when was it last?

Armed with a torch check the entire trailer frame for rust(especially inside the side rails and cross embers in the rear third of the trailer).

Check all welds for cracking paying particular attention to the winch post,a frame area.

Check the trailer coupling is firm/secure.

Check safety chain/s are attached and in good condition.

Check all rollers,cradles,skids are in reasonable condition and operable.

Check the trailer lights/wiring are in working order.

Check mudguards are secure and not rusted through if made from metal.

Check wheels/tyres are in reasonable condition.(check for spare)

Jack up trailer and check bearings for rumble/play.

Boat:

Is it registered?if not when was its last rego?

Check:

Check the underside of the hull for any cracks,crazing,chunks missing,paying particular attention to the keel and the bottom of the transom.

Chunks/cracks etc at the very bottom edge of the transom normally indicate shallow launching where the hull has struck the ground.

Grab the outboard leg and lever it up and down to test for rotted timbers in the transom.

Walk firmly inside the boat noting any give sponginess in the floor which may indicate underfloor structural rot.

Check bung holes are in good condition and firmly fastened/sealed.

Check the sides of the boat for any deep scrapes/gouges where contact with jettys,etc may have occurred.

Check along the topsides for the same deep crazing,cracking,gouges as described earlier,pay particular attension to all inside/outside corners.

Get your head underneath the dash,gunnels,transom with a torch and inspect thoroughly.

Check all hatches,fittings,windows,canopys,seats,are in reasonable condition and firmly attached.

Check steering,steering cables,pulleys etc,that they are in reasonable condition and working.

Check all wiring,switches,gauges,lights etc that they are all in good condition and working.

Check that the windscreen and side windows are not cracked/crazed and their rubber seals are in reasonable condition.

Engine:

Remove the cowling and check that the engine looks clean and tidy overall.

Look at the paint around the power head for signs of discolouration that could indicate an overheated engine.

Check the power head bolts for missing paint that would indicate work done in the past.

Gently wiggle/feel all wirng to check security and check for worn insulation.

Look for signs of salt deposits in and around power head.

Look at all fuel lines for signs of age such as cracking,splitting etc.

I would strongly recommend you do a compression test along with a leak down test on that engine.

See if the owner has service records and check what/when things were done.

I could go on forever as this is just the tip of the iceburg on what to check.

That boat WILL need some or all of these things looked into or fixed.

I STRONGLY suggest if it's your first boat as you say for that budget,a tinny would be high on my list.

There's just less to go wrong with them.

Cheers.

Totally Agree with all of the above comments, I bought a Glass boat about 4 years ago which I got for 2k and was very happy with it.

The only issue I had was after going over the trailer, Engine and adding electronics the boat owed me almost 5K. I had to sell it in a hurry and regrettably let it go for 2K. I have recently bought another boat which I got for just under 3K a very basic Aluminium tinny which has a 15 HP on it and goes very well.

sorry for going off topic slightly but I wanted to share my experience with you.

All I can suggest to you is if your hearts set on a glass boat follow the above advise on what to check for and be prepared to fork out additional funds.

Look at alot of boats including boats selling for 5k and above and compare as the more expensive boats may be better in the long run as most of the work would have been done and they will be in better condition.

Or perhaps start from a basic tinny like what I purchased if you dont want to wait too long to purchase.

The advantage of a basic tinny is ease of towing, easier to launch/retrieve even solo if you decided to go out at night, lower fuel consumption as you have about a third of the weight of a glass boat but in saying this it will be a rougher ride depending on conditions etc.

also the 50hp merc if its in good order, check that the tilt and trim is working without any leaks as this is very expensive to fix my first boat had a old evinrude 50 on it and had a manual tilt and trim, I got sick of lifting it up and nearly fell out of the boat a few times doing it so I fitted a aftermarket hydraulic unit which cost me $1200.

Good luck in your boat hunting but be patient as there are alot of boats to choose from.

Regards,

Nathan

$2500 was what I paid for my first boat 15ft fibreglass cuddy cabin with 50hp, the first & second outings I wondered where all the water coming in to the hull (found fine hair line cracks in the hull where it was sitting on the rollers) the third outing the motor wouldn't keep running so I took it in for a service ~ turned out it had a cracked piston + bad scoring of the bore, the motor was too old for repair & needed replacing!

I gave the boat away and only purchased brand new from then on.

Your best option would be a good s/h tinny or put $2500 deposit on a new package

Guys thanks so much for all the opinions. You guys have talked me out of buying a cheap older glass boat, which im sure would have been something i would have regretted doing. So by the replies in thinking i need to go aliminium with a motor that isnt so old. Im really wanting something over 4m, and a runabout style boat. Is it realistic to think I can grab something decent s/h for under 3k? Ive seen a bunch online but dont know if for that price im again looking at something that will need work. Would the hull age be much of an issue with a tinny? And how old is too old for a motor to look at? Thanks again guys, if this site wasnt around id probably be cursing a bad purchase pretty soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alum boats if looked after basically last forever. Generally age is not the issue , it's more the shape , how they cut through the water , stability when at rest etc.

As for the motor age can be an aspect as motors have made a lot of technical improvements over the past 10 - 15 years. The main aspect is the No. of hours & the service / maintance history.

Geoff

realistically i think your budget is too low

with children you need shade, someone where to rest and high sides
and from experience the trips have to be short 1-2 hours max as they get bored easily

what waterways or areas do you plan to fish .

boat ownership is not cheap well quality time on the water boat ownership is not cheap

3k will realistically get you a 13ft tinny on a ok trailer with a sub 10 year old engine

Guys thanks so much for all the opinions. You guys have talked me out of buying a cheap older glass boat, which im sure would have been something i would have regretted doing. So by the replies in thinking i need to go aliminium with a motor that isnt so old. Im really wanting something over 4m, and a runabout style boat. Is it realistic to think I can grab something decent s/h for under 3k? Ive seen a bunch online but dont know if for that price im again looking at something that will need work. Would the hull age be much of an issue with a tinny? And how old is too old for a motor to look at? Thanks again guys, if this site wasnt around id probably be cursing a bad purchase pretty soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aluminium boats are a completely different kettle of fish to aluminium.

They don't come without their own problems though.

Electrolysis,split/broken welds,loose/missing rivets etc can all be issues.

Age for aluminium boats is no big deal,infact some would argue that the aluminium used in boats say from the 70,s 80,s is much better in terms of quality.(myself included)

The thing that's changed the most about aluminium boats over the years is they no longer use rivets and hull design.

As for outboards,they can last years if well maintained and run regularly.(outboards don't like sitting idle)

My advice is organise someone to go with you that knows what to look for when buying.

As for the runabout configuration be aware that a lot of the usable fishing space is taken up by the windscreen and foredeck.

They certainly provide more shelter from inclement weather protection though compared to an open boat or centre console.

I have a small 4.2m runabout that's ideal for my needs,I bait fish 2 up at most and have taken my 2 and 4 year old grand daughter and grandson out on the water wearing their life jackets of course.

Mate for your first boat, I understand you don't want to spend much. But by doing that you might have to by repairing things you are not aware of yet.

I suggest you keep saving and buy something a little better, least you will enjoy it and your first memory of boating won't be bailing water out of the hull while sinking rapidly :P

Guest no one

I sold my last Tinny for 2k with a 3 month new motor on it, which cost me $2k... There are good deals out there.

Buy in winter, you'll save $1k easy

A water test will show up a lot of problems especially with the engine (as it will be under load).

Pull the bungs out afterwards to check for leaks. For fiberglass boats check the transom for

any movement (you are looking for dry rot). You can tap the transom with your knuckles as well

- rotten section will have a duller sound. Check the hull and floor for movement/ soft spots.

I wouldn't be put off by missing paint on the engine bolts. The cylinder head is supposed to

be retensioned after the run in period (this will at least dent the paint). Also the head gasket

on outboards should be replaced after 10 years. I wouldn't necessarlily be put off by a boat being

cheap if it checks out OK - would you rather pay more?

Robertos. Youve been offered some great advice above.

I'd suggest you take your time.

Keep your eye on the adverts and try and narrow down what your looking for. ( I found searching finished sales on auction sites a good resource).

I bought my first boat 12 months ago after searching many months for the right one.

At the bottom end of the price range you are going to be making sacrifices and needing to spend on her quite soon ( I will be replacing the trailer on mine in the next few months as an example) BUT that may be a tactic that works for you like it did me.

Once you've settled on what you want. Glass or alloy. Runabout or cuddy. And you've an idea of what there going for don't be afraid to knock some doors if you see one on a drive that looks unused.

Good luck.

I bought my first boat about 18 years ago and that was a 3.9m Stacer tinny with a 1985 Evinrude 25 hp on the back, $2,200 from memory. I immediately bought a new anchor and rope, had the Engine given a yearly (100 hr) service by a dealer (they weren't so expensive then!), replaced fuel lines, bungs etc and did some cosmetic work. The trailer was homemade based on a Mini axle and rusty but solid. That boat did us (family of 4) for 12 years and it was only towards the end I spent any serious money (welded the keel for cracks, had the sway bars and glides replaced on the trailer etc). Throughout that time I did the majority of maintenance myself. When money is an issue, Silicon sealant is your best friend!

(but not a friend of the the aluminium welder who fixes your cracks...)

The motor was ok but not great. Reliable but didn't idle well so was a little difficult when crabbing for example. About what you expect from a motor of that vintage. When I purchased my current boat (2009) I sold it for $2,500 (that included the custom towing cover I had made in around 1999 which cost me $560 at the time).

I agree with a lot of the earlier comments and for your budget would not consider a glass boat. Tinnie have their issues but are a) much easier to spot issues in; and B) much cheaper to fix. In 2015 you may struggle to get something reasonable around the 4m mark for $2,500, but another $1k may be quite enough to get a reasonable vessel. Make sure you have at least $500 left over whatever you spend for initial maintenance - do not take it on the water with your family until that has been attended to.

Regards, Tastee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk