GreyNurse

Hi Raiders,

With all this rain continuing to fall, I've been servicing some of my gear in preparation of finer weather ahead. while working away, a question popped into my bonce. When is the best time to fish after the rain stops? Most of my angling is done in and around the rivers and estuaries of Sydney, plus a bit of beach fishing if the fancy takes me. ( I'm getting too slow to fish the stones nowadays, and would only do so in experienced company while wearing a PFD, anyway.)

Target species are the bread and butter variety; bream, flathead, tailor. I also like to catch my own bait as well, so include yakkas and squid. I know Port Hacking cleans up pretty well after two or three days, but the other systems like the Georges and Cooks would obviously take longer. Then there's the issue of the surface fresh water occupying the water column. How long does that take to salt up.

Anyway, I'm sure many of us would appreciate some advice on the subject. Thanks in advance.

Iv'e been making sinkers,rigs,berley and maintaining my gear,mowers,boat and cars also....perfect weather for it.

I'm assuming it would take a fair few tide cycles to clean things up this time round.

I'm an estuary fisho also and won't be in a huge hurry to get back out there.

To all you boaties out there that will go out in the first few days that this wild weather passes, Remember to keep a good LOOKOUT for floating debris as its not much fun hitting a submerged log or other debris at full speed.

I hit a log in the hacking after storms and must have launched a few feet in the air.

Be very careful out there guys.

Cheers.

Edited by Fab1

My wife and I went up to Stuart's Point for a week last Christmas and they had a lot of rain up until the day we arrived (Sat). We were fishing the Macleay system north of SWR and the fishing didn't pick up until the Friday, even then not as fruitful as usual. So I would give Estuary systems a week at least.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Had a look just now at the Georges river entrance near botany bay with a few mates and it's brown... tossed a line in for an hour on several different baits and nothing at all, not even a nibble. The water looked pretty murky and quite a bit of rubbish and sticks floating around. Lets hope it clears up soon!

I read a lot about storm fishing and what I can get of this is the best time for fishing is when the barometer is going down. Not when it is low but really when it is decreasing. And usually it is before the storm arrives and up until it ends. The articles then say that when te barometer goes up, which is when the sky is clearing up after the bad weather the fish usually will be quiet.

Also, after a long period of high pressure, there will be periods of decrease of pressure usually around mid day which is also OK to fish.

Does that apply to all species? Not sure...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been catching small bream on hardbodies at the end of my flooded street...its 5ft above the road. Some species of Fish will often move up into the flooded margins to feed