Go home early because its raining... Really?

fragmeister

I am on board with all of those who experienced dangerous conditions.

I hope it all worked out well in those areas badly hit.

Sounds like it might have been more dangerous for you at home!

post-32937-0-63633900-1429737921_thumb.jpg

This is my place in the inner west.... If a tree was going to fall it would have been in my yard.

A few leaves was all we got out this way.

I guess all the guys who were in favour of going home were in the harder hit areas so I can really appreciate your position. Out in the west I was wondering what all the fuss was about for the Parramatta office workers.

Cheers boys and good luck with the clean up.

Jim

That weather was extreme. I agree with caution and it was very sad that people died in flash floods.

So glad that I did not have to do the commute that I used to do either Nursie, train and bus 1 1/2 to 2 hours each way.

I hope all the raiders came through unscathed.

rain gauge full overnight

post-869-0-31340100-1429739279_thumb.jpg

well i thought it was a good call. Traffic was just chaos everywhere. If you were driving you would be spending hours on the road. It was more about safety of people i say. You would hate to know you lost a life on the way to work due to someone driving like crazy on wet roads, tree falling, live wire on wet areas etc.

I understand what you're saying, I agree with half of it. The danger of the rain isn't the rain but the way a human acts in the rain! As I mentioned Australians are not great drivers, add rain and they are amongst the worst I've seen!

Does anybody know why Drivers do not switch the light of the car on, in a torrential rain. I almost oversaw a gray car with no lights in torrential rain, when I was about to change lane?

Guest no one

The same reason they don't turn them on in tunnels? Can't see anything through my tints in a dark situation... Need people to have lights on else they get crushed :(

Does anybody know why Drivers do not switch the light of the car on, in a torrential rain. I almost oversaw a gray car with no lights in torrential rain, when I was about to change lane?

That would take some degree of common sense and as the saying goes, the problem with common sense is it's not that common!

Just retire like me, and you don't have to work, drive through traffic, etc. :074:

Now all I need to do is plan for the next fishing trip: check weather, wind, tide.

Have had my time driving in heavy rain, wind, traffic, even turning around a couple of times and heading back to work as I could not get home.

Now the wind and rain are easing, the fish will be ON THE BITE so get fishing !!!

I work outside, I wasn't keen on becoming a statistic, flying debris and falling trees etc.

1&1/2 days off, now part of the cleanup crew.

Re Parra the ferry stopped running past kissing pt.

I was there in '86 when the water was up to the bridge. It took out the footbridge just up from the weir.

Those vacant grassed areas along the river are there for a reason. Big catchment funnelled into a narrow river.

I reckon we got off lightly..

can't retire they Yowie but I'll be out tomorrow for sure!

Still in W.A., with not much fishing happening (not near the beaches too often to have a go, as too much to see in the south west corner of this state)

Enjoying the holiday here, but will be happy to return home and catch a few.

So back to Fragmisters original question

Is it just me or does this strike anybody else as a little lame?

I think its a bit lame for a bit of rain to cause so much chaos. Also I find it a little amusing that

wind gusts of 75km/h seem to be able to make houses fall apart.

I was an island in the southern ocean for a year.

One particularly windy evening, the wind was averaging 86 knots - yes knots

gust over 160 knots, and we didn't fall apart. Granted the house was built for it

but even after living in Wellington for a while, a bit of wind is nothing.

Sydneysiders are soft!

(except for the fishing people ;-) )

Edited by antonywardle

I don't think the winds were 75 km/h from what I read I am sure they were over 100km/h +

Also anyone read about the 15m wave that was recorded on the coast? Would of loved to see that wave from a distance!

15 m wave!!! Pass on that one. Talk about an extreme bar crossing