Go home early because its raining... Really?

fragmeister

Now don't get me wrong, I know some parts of NSW copped a pounding and many of the warnings issued were valid and I certainly do not want to dismiss the valid warnings or play down the work done by SES and a raft of other people but seriously, the bulk of Sydney had a few days of heavy rain and strong winds yet there were calls (and responses) for people en mass to leave work early or not go to work at all if it could be avoided.

This is the year we commemorate the 100th anniversary of Gallipoli and I think if the Anzac's were alive they would roll their eyes and tell us to take a teaspoon of cement and harden up!

Is it just me or does this strike anybody else as a little lame?

Now don't get me wrong, I know some parts of NSW copped a pounding and many of the warnings issued were valid and I certainly do not want to dismiss the valid warnings or play down the work done by SES and a raft of other people but seriously, the bulk of Sydney had a few days of heavy rain and strong winds yet there were calls (and responses) for people en mass to leave work early or not go to work at all if it could be avoided.

This is the year we commemorate the 100th anniversary of Gallipoli and I think if the Anzac's were alive they would roll their eyes and tell us to take a teaspoon of cement and harden up!

You didn't know that they can catch a cold if they get wet?You should see the way the blokes are dressing at work,3 jumpers,a jacket,beanie,the works.

And they're indoors in a factory.

I hate to see them when winter comes around,the Michellin man springs to mind.

Next uniform issue the company should supply Fluro skirts,stockings,scarf and a handbag for them.

From what I've seen males are becoming more and more feminine ,some even iron, vacuum and dust.lol.

We're a dying breed.

,some even iron, vacuum and dust.lol.

Nothing wrong with that! I even put my little 4 year old to bed, and I do it better then my wife.

And I walk without ubmrella no matter how hard it rains and swim in the pool at 9 oC. Did a Chatswood to Lindfield walk yesterday, because the trains were down.

It's not really the rain, it's the wind. I'm living in Gorokan where we got hit pretty hard. Rain was very heavy, but the wind was on a whole nother level.

Trees were coming down all over the place, roads flooding. When that request was issued we were expecting another barrage of heavy rains and even stronger winds in the next fee hours. So rather than have people leaving work right in the middle of it, better to get them home early and avoid the danger.

We really do live in a very soft world. I've been surprised by the lack of traffic the last few days.

I understand in some areas keeping people away would help. But on mass I think is lame.

If the country got invaded they would put it in the too hard basket and drop down to the cafe for a latte.

Guest no one

It took me 7 hours to do a 30 minute drive... So yes go home early because the rain knocked over 4 trees and a live power line on my route to work and I don't want to risk the same on the way home!

What's a rain day! I'm a chippy and been on all 4 of our jobs( all under tarps /first floor additions) securing tarps and doing repairs to keep the houses waterproof all week. Nothing like being on a roof in these winds rain and thunder around!.. Living the dreammmmmmm

And the oldies call me and say its 29 degrees I'm Spain :(

Guest no one

Also no offence to any Australians but you guys aren't used to driving in the rain - where as being brought up in Scotland "we" do. The amount of accidents from my work to my house on the way home yesterday was unreal all caused by poor driving ability - yeah stick a little red P on the back of a car but the business man whose on his phone doesn't have to wear that shame as he collects the young kids car.

So yeah - go home early! Avoid the towers who can't drive, avoid the trees which should have been trimmed back years ago and avoid those live power lines! Get home to your young family safe so you can read them a good night story!

Sorry Jim, not meaning to pounce, but it's a very big sore point when you're stuck in 7 hours of traffic due to neglect and idiots!

LOL Well said. I work in the city, start early and finish a little early... last 2 days the train stations were packed so early!

And today, half the people on my floor was missing! I don't think they need a teaspoon, they need a bag of cement! Such drama queens...

Teflon it sounds like an absolute shocker day you had and your still scared from the experience. How many days of therapy on the boat do you think it will take for a full recovery?

Also no offence to any Australians but you guys aren't used to driving in the rain - where as being brought up in Scotland "we" do. The amount of accidents from my work to my house on the way home yesterday was unreal all caused by poor driving ability - yeah stick a little red P on the back of a car but the business man whose on his phone doesn't have to wear that shame as he collects the young kids car.

So yeah - go home early! Avoid the towers who can't drive, avoid the trees which should have been trimmed back years ago and avoid those live power lines! Get home to your young family safe so you can read them a good night story!

Sorry Jim, not meaning to pounce, but it's a very big sore point when you're stuck in 7 hours of traffic due to neglect and idiots!

Got up at midnight to start work. Drove in the worst conditions you've ever seen. Arrived to no power and had to make the scary drive home. No cement needed here but really enjoyed going back to bed! :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

Like I said , if there is a genuine danger then aviod it but that was not the case for many.

I guess Ed that you live close to the coast where the danger was apparent but out here In ether inner west there was no where near the drama you experienced... Just a few people getting their shoes wet crossing the road was enough to send them home!

Hell, my wife (55) went for a jog in the rain this morning texting her friend to see if she went out and her response was " sure... What's a little rain princess!"

I think Ed if you had seen the conditions further out west you would understand what I mean

Guest no one

Jim - I was born, raised and lived/breathed a Viking upbringing in a small island called Shetland near Norway... Every year we got 10foot of snow at one time - meaning you couldn't leave your house for a week, while you had no power!

Then moving to London where one inch of snow shut down the city was amusing!

I understand what you're saying, I agree with half of it. The danger of the rain isn't the rain but the way a human acts in the rain! As I mentioned Australians are not great drivers, add rain and they are amongst the worst I've seen!

I was happy to send my office home yesterday, because I know I wouldn't want anyone to experience what I did yesterday morning...

Rain is one thing wind is another. I live in Central Coast, took yesterday off cuz of the big wind. Drove to sydney to work today cuz it was only raining and I was surprised that so many people stayed home! But you know what?! Stay home guys!!! The highway was so smoooottthhhh I thought I would be late at work but I was so early lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Transport in this city is fragile at the best of times but add this weather in and the place falls apart with blocked roads and train tracks, not to mention people who seem to think wet roads mean tailgate closer to get out of it quicker.

I dont think the media help as they hype up the warnings and carry on about the potential impacts to fill news time. It makes some people over cautious and others ignore the warnings they need to heed.

That said, some doses of concrete would go a long way

Got it Ed!

I think we are on the same heading!

I just think we have to encourage the kind of resilience you ended up with you don't get that by excusing people from a little adversity or by discounting their ability to deal with it.

Cheers

Jim

Oh and the whole point of people leaving a bit early is because since sydney is prone to havig enty of flooded roads and train lines why wouldn't you recommend people to get out of the city a couple of hours early while they still could without the risk of getting cut off by flooded roads etc.

Imagine having trees over houses, roads, train lines etc, trying to deal with that as well as 3 million people trying to get home in congested traffic that's just asking for more car accidents which the emegerancy services would possibly have to attend to.

Just seems like common sence to me, why make somethig harder than it has to be.

Prior planning prevents piss poor performance.

Well I had a 1/2 day meeting in the city. Adrian rang me at around 11, to say, if your thinking of coming back here, I wouldn't, you probably won't get here.

One of the other guys rang at 1230, and said don't come in, were closing up early, our afternoon courier could not get into the industrial estate..

It then took me about 3 hours to get from Wynyard to Padstow,

Train to Central, everyone off

Another train to Turella

Bus from there to Kingsgrove

Train to Padstow.

Sheez

I rang Adrian to see how things were, he was about to call our TNT guy to see if he could get through which he doubted, then lock up and try and get home.

The Police had the Prestons Industrial area closed they would only let people out, no one in. Aparantley the Liverpool Catholic Club behind us had sandbags at the doors to stop the river running in

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sounds like a drama Ian,

But I tell you what it sure makes you appreciate when things are running smoothly.

Its the stuff off life... The contrast between the good times and the bad.

It why we go fishing ... It's why we live life!

Cheers

Jim

Edited by fragmeister

Jim

Yes and No......I just kept thinking 8 days, 8 days, 8 days....

Then Cuba for a week. And then Panama, Fishing Resort, 7 days solid fishing, all fishing, all food, accomodation, all alcohol paid for, fully inclusive....

And those clouds just disappeared!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm all for spreading the traffic (Bus, train and road) out over an hour or two longer. Sydney's road system is the pits! I've recently changed jobs and now live 2k from work. Before that, I had a 50k drive each way. That equated to a 4hr daily commute, which is the equivilent to 10 x 8 hr shifts a month. So glad to be shod of that. I symapthise with Tef1on. And I agree with him when he says Australians don't drive well in the rain. Neither do we drive well at roundabouts and entry raods onto expressways. If I was still at my old place, I probably wouldn't have gone in. Not worth the long drive and the much increased risk of a mishap along the way.

I don't mind the rain. I'd rather not use an umbrella if it's not bucketing down. But those winds the past few days have been a killer. I had to wear a windcheater! Anyway lads, better days ahead.

I buggered off early because I didn't know if I'd make it home otherwise, trains were not working as bexley was under water. God knows how packed and shit they would have been when they started operating again!

The access to the station was blocked due to floods too, 60 houses 2 suburbs away from me got evacuated also.

Could I have stayed at work? Sure... But spending hours trying to find a way home on a Wednesday night? Screw that!! I'd rather leave 2 hours early and be home early and comfortable and be able to head back in nice and early tomorrow.

Edited by amkr

well coming home early for me means that i can start to clear all the trees that fell over

post-33501-0-51606300-1429734831_thumb.jpg

I can also use my boat in the back yard with all of the rain, but i have to be back by 4pm

because with out power, i can't see anything!

post-33501-0-05289200-1429734814_thumb.jpg

still no power ;-( I only went into work yesterday to recharge everything

Edited by antonywardle