My first kingy!

Witha

G'day raiders!

With night shift messing up my schedule again, the only remedy has been using my daylight hours to fish :)

Roused myself in time for the low tide change yesterday and loaded up the car with a few rods, my never ending quest for jew has reached addiction levels again and I figured I'd throw big plastics around in hope. Found a new spot to try with a nice outcrop to cast off and began throwing round a 100mm squidgy fish in silver fox.

trying a more subtle retrieve lately as opposed to huge rips I began lifting and twitching the plastic off the bottom. About half and dozen casts in I was getting into the rhythm and enjoying a lovely winters day (read: day dreaming in muscle memory mode) when I had a distinctive thump on the line. Adrenaline pumps and I strike up hard. Feeling barely any weight I was thinking a flatty had jumped on, as it happened the fish had been swimming towards me and when it decided to turn and run I finally felt my black label load up properly and had the certate singing as pe1 braid left the reel at an ear soothing pace.

After what I'd judge to be a 30 or so Metre sustained run, the fish slowed and I managed to gain some line back, another few bursts and I managed to get colour as it swam into the shallows next to my outcrop. Expecting to see silver I was elated when I saw that big green back! (I'll admit I screamed "kingy"... for all my imaginary friends to hear...).

I then realized I'd been a bit foolish. expecting a jew I'd assumed it spent after a few runs, but this thing jetted off to the rock platform at my feet, with just enough angle to wrap my line around something solid. That terrible heartbreaking sound of line grabbing and rubbing on structure followed. I immediately free spooled the reel and waited it out. The fish took off but was still wrapped so I repeated the process for about 3 minutes. Finally I saw the line float free and race off, snapping the bail arm in place the drag starts singing again.

Another few minutes and I had it spent at my feet...with no net...idiot. Resigned myself to getting wet and went in to the knees to trace it and get my lip grips in.

Whooping triumphantly I got the measure out and it went 67!!

Unfortunately for this kingy I have a running wager with my housemate that if I can ever get something edible he will cook it and provide the beers to accompany.

Tell you what it was the best feed of fish I've had in a long while and he fed the four of us no trouble.

Thanks for reading guys, bit of a long write up for one fish but it was a moment I won't forget. And it's occupying some time on a long night shift [emoji14]

Some specs and piccies to end:

Rod: Daiwa Black Label 5-12lb

Reel: Daiwa Certate 2510R-PE

Braid: Pe1 ygk super jigman (20lb roughly )

14lb fc rock leader

1f502ec69e907cbcad81ac8a6c5013f2.jpg

9a808bef0babeeeb1e56d02948d92f01.jpg

86d064d18b7373c6812f55aa2b67cf0b.jpg

Why didn't you call? Actually, I couldn't have made it anyway. But your report is the next best thing. Mind PM-ing me the location? I seem to have plenty of time on my hands at the moment, and the days are sunny enough. I've just been serving all my reels so I'm keen to see the improvements in drag performance. A kingy would be the ideal test.