Are baitrunners worth it?

Fishing_Maniac

Hi everyone, I am planning to target kingfish land based this upcoming summer off wharfs in the harbour.

The shimano baitrunner oc seems like a reel which would do the job. My question is, are baitrunners really worth it? Will kings spit out a live bait if they feel the resistance of a normal reel?

Cheers, James

I don't do much land based fishing.

The benefit of the bait runner is the two drag systems. With the bait runner drag you can feed the line out on a light setting as your float or balloon drifts out or drifting a bait in the burley trail. Instead of free spooling. If a fish hits your bait turn the handle full drag kicks in straight away. So I think it's more suited to that style of fishing.

I don't think you need to let kings run with the bait at all.

The same probably goes for blackfish. Purists with centerpins please don't attack me!

Just note the bait runner will be heavier than other similar reels.

Edited by welst

Use circle hooks and you don't need to let them run at all or strike . Just apply a little pressure and they'll hook themselves.

Having said that Im old school. Having pulled over 100 bait runners apart for various people I'd rather use a small overhead reel or large baitcaster for livebaiting.

Far less complicated, especially a LD model,

I like to keep things simple

Edited by Crossfire63

Guest no one

Bait runner spin reels (in my opinion) are the best reels around. Good for trolling, down rigging, bait fishing, casting... The list goes on!

Bait runner spin reels (in my opinion) are the best reels around. Good for trolling, down rigging, bait fishing, casting... The list goes on!

tef1on is spot on here. We have over half a dozen 4500's B's. They are pretty much a bullet proof reel. And quite often a king, Jew, amber, Samson you name it will struggle swallowing a livey. This is where a btr comes into its own verse a conventional reel. Just wait til the btr mode kicks in and your losing line then strike. Doing this with a conventional reel can result in pull hook's and liveys being torn from your hooks.

Just our 2 cents.

Guest no one

I think they are probably the most versatile all round reel you can find. Not many other reels are at the top of their game for so many different types of fishing!

I've used mine for successfully trolling for tuna one day to bottom bashing for snapper the next, to surf casting the next. And only had to adjust the BTR drag each time while having my main drag set at a constant.

I think they are probably the most versatile all round reel you can find. Not many other reels are at the top of their game for so many different types of fishing!

I've used mine for successfully trolling for tuna one day to bottom bashing for snapper the next, to surf casting the next. And only had to adjust the BTR drag each time while having my main drag set at a constant.

Does the drag ever have to be adjusted internally mate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest no one

They have 2 drag settings, one for mainline drag when the reels locked which is in the normal drag spot on a reel at the top, and one for freespool drag, which is under the lever at the bottom. They're very easy to use!

I dont know about past models, but on the OC's the second drag can be varied just like the main drag. There is a dial that lets you vary it between virtually no drag (no recommended as the world gets tangled) and quite a reasonable pressure ( which I use on the beach, as its enough drag to set a hook, but not so much that the whole rod ends up in the water). Buy it, its worth it, even just as a good spin reel. I love mine

I dont know about past models, but on the OC's the second drag can be varied just like the main drag. There is a dial that lets you vary it between virtually no drag (no recommended as the world gets tangled) and quite a reasonable pressure ( which I use on the beach, as its enough drag to set a hook, but not so much that the whole rod ends up in the water). Buy it, its worth it, even just as a good spin reel. I love mine

Hi mate, is your OC coping with the spray from the beach?I have heard that another alternative is the penn spin fisher v for beach fishing since these reels are fully sealed.

Mine gets dunked, wet, sandy etc, the whole lot. And all despite my best efforts to keep it in good nick. Havent had an issue with it, love it off the beach, so much so my mate bought one as well.

Its like any other sub-quality reel, look after it and service it a bit and itll last longer than you will. Or you can buy a gold plated, chemically inert, fully sealed, 48 bearing beast for the price of a small morgage and not have to take care of it. Just a matter of how much $$$ you want to spend. I will admit that after not washing the salt off of it and leaving it sit for a month did make the drag switch a little stiff, but a little grease and tlc and its back running smooth.

Youre overthinking it. Buy the damn thing :P

Cheers

Mine gets dunked, wet, sandy etc, the whole lot. And all despite my best efforts to keep it in good nick. Havent had an issue with it, love it off the beach, so much so my mate bought one as well.

Its like any other sub-quality reel, look after it and service it a bit and itll last longer than you will. Or you can buy a gold plated, chemically inert, fully sealed, 48 bearing beast for the price of a small morgage and not have to take care of it. Just a matter of how much $$$ you want to spend. I will admit that after not washing the salt off of it and leaving it sit for a month did make the drag switch a little stiff, but a little grease and tlc and its back running smooth.

Youre overthinking it. Buy the damn thing :P

Cheers

You're right, I'll get it! What line class do you have yours paired with?