Time to talk fishing flies for Blackfish

poohbear

Hello to all the wise men/women on this forum

With the onset of blackfishing high season and the problems with finding, collecting and storing blackfish weed I have become fascinated by the art of fishing flies for blackfish. I have bought some but the hook is always exposed on those I bought and my mentor Howsy has always said do not expose the hook if you want to catch fish. So I did the usual, youtube, forums and stores before buying some dubbing for $6 and tying these 3 in about 5 min with minimum effort. Looks very natural and I plan to give it some aniseed spray then use it. Tried not to leave the hook exposed. Would not mind constructive comment from the Guru's on the board.

Cheers

post-31210-0-30214500-1434777379_thumb.jpg

They look very good. I've never really tried the artificial weed. When I tie my wire weed on I go up the line first then back down around the hook and I expose the barb of the hook. But we are lucky there's plenty of weed up here on the coast

Cheers Steve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello to all the wise men/women on this forum

With the onset of blackfishing high season and the problems with finding, collecting and storing blackfish weed I have become fascinated by the art of fishing flies for blackfish. I have bought some but the hook is always exposed on those I bought and my mentor Howsy has always said do not expose the hook if you want to catch fish. So I did the usual, youtube, forums and stores before buying some dubbing for $6 and tying these 3 in about 5 min with minimum effort. Looks very natural and I plan to give it some aniseed spray then use it. Tried not to leave the hook exposed. Would not mind constructive comment from the Guru's on the board.

Cheers

how do they look wet re exposed hook or not?

I have used weed flies with some success I think you will find the hook will be exposed at times when drifting under the float when I use cabbage or long weed the hook is exposed a bit I have not had any problems catching luderick my mate uses a two hook rig one weed fly one natural weed amazing how many times they hit the fly

Never had a problem with a exposed hook on bait or fly so I don't know what howsy is on about I do a lot of fly fishing and have adapted my trout nymphing techniques to fly fishing with weed flys and done very well still need a bit of burley but they work well especially when they are thick you may need to adjust you strike as they can reject it a lot wicket the tbe real thing! Good luck

Never had a problem with a exposed hook on bait or fly so I don't know what howsy is on about I do a lot of fly fishing and have adapted my trout nymphing techniques to fly fishing with weed flys and done very well still need a bit of burley but they work well especially when they are thick you may need to adjust you strike as they can reject it a lot wicket the tbe real thing! Good luck

If you don't have weed what do you burley with?

norm

Usually you can find some form of green growth in the rocks around the beaches or in canals to scrape up with a fish scaler! If not give the fly a go anyway you will usually snag a passing fish or a resident some places require little or no burley like narrabeen lake a perfect place to try the fly

My son was using the artificial weed up at the entrance on our social. From my observations, he did quite well considering most of the experienced blackfish gurus were only nailing small ones also. I did notice that he had many downs before a conversion. This maybe due to his technique or just small fish. I know his setup was solid because stapo rigged his rod for him but overall I would say that these artificial weeds can be successful.

Cheers scratchie!!!