Vaucluse - landbased 30/6

Jimbu

With a doctors appointment in the eastern suburbs yesterday afternoon, the temptation to dip a line afterwards was just too much. I arrived at Parsley Bay wharf around 3pm to find the wharf jam packed, so set up on my own along the rocks to the side. There is an underwater ledge here that drops off to deep water, so you have to be careful not to get snagged or taken deep by a fish and busted off on the ledge.

Armed with some freshly sliced white bread, I set my little 1-3kg combo up with a running green bubble float and a size 8 hook initially set at 3m depth. I berleyed up with small crumbled handfuls of water soaked bread, and would continue to do so regularly for the entire session. It wasn't long before I was onto my first fish, and after a short tustle it was into the net. A nice blackfish around the 30cm mark. Shortly after, I landed another.

The next hookup was no blackie... Running deep, with pulsing tail beats, I suspected trevally. I was conscious of the ledge it could snag me on and also of the small hook and soft mouth, so I worked it hard to get it up high when possible and also let it run. After a decent fight, 37cm trevally landed!

I landed another blackfish before the bites slowed. However, I spotted surface action on my berley, and realised the fish had moved higher in the water column and raised my hook depth to compensate. Sure enough, the bites came back. All in all I landed 7 blackfish between 30-35cm, including two pigs which fought and fought and didn't want to be netted, returned 1, and dropped maybe 5 more.

Super session for me! Also had a good chat to another fisherman who was throwing some lures around.

Cerviched the trevally and fried one blackfish Chinese style with garlic and shallots. Delicious!

Thanks for reading.

Oops. Photo attached.

Papafish: The beach, as in the beach behind the swimming nets? No, I was to the right of the jetty.

Blackfish often take bread... I find bread to be a very versatile bait, particularly with a small hook and a berley trail - you can catch bream, mullet, trevally, blackfish, flathead, leatherjacket, yellowtail.

post-34038-0-63231600-1435712187_thumb.jpg

many fish will eat bread, even rat kingies and tailor. Caught some good sized blackfish on bread, even bread crusts floating on the surface, the blackfish have smacked the bread pretty hard, just like bream would do.

Cheers for the comments guys.

Toboggi - I've used the wrong lingo! I meant big fat blackfish, not drummer. Oops

Papafish - maybe on Sunday! ☺️ I can send you a pm if you wanna tag along. Can't guarantee fish tho haha

Yowie - yeah the blackfish were aggressively smashing the bread on the surface when the sun ducked behind the clouds temporarily. I thought they were mullet and raised my bait depth to compensate.

Richie - first, make sure you're using fresh sliced white bread. Some brands are better than others, but the cheap Coles/woollies work fine.

I usually tear off a small piece of bread, a bit over twice the area of the hook, then start by squeezing it around the eye and shank of the hook. I find leaving it slightly fluffy around the hook point and that end helps it drift more naturally an also assists the hookup - if your hook is nice and sharp, a gentle lift generally sets the hook. I also squeeze it so it's thinner around the hook shank and squeeze the area behind the point to ensure a deeper hookup.

Hope that makes sense.. With this method, it should stay on at least until you get some bites!

I find the bread falls off the hook very very easily .. any tips?

I have seen the guide to using a rolling pin to compress the air out of the bread.

I would use bakers delight bread! Freshest bread you can get. No pun intended! :)

Oops. Photo attached.

Papafish: The beach, as in the beach behind the swimming nets? No, I was to the right of the jetty.

Blackfish often take bread... I find bread to be a very versatile bait, particularly with a small hook and a berley trail - you can catch bream, mullet, trevally, blackfish, flathead, leatherjacket, yellowtail.

Hi mate, well done. Where you fishing all the way down the rocks next to the house? Also, what brand bread where you using? Cheers