Como - blackfish

Oscarthebeagle

Fished saterday morning at como chasing blackfish again. Strange days fishing it was very slow with only a bite every 10-20 minutes or so and then nothing dead no downs no lost baits no little fish till the next single bite, however nearly every down resulted in a hook up and a solid fish.

Ended up keeping 7 fish between 32-38cm, released a few more legals and only 2 undersize fish for the morning, almost had to feel sorry for the guy fishing next to me he had better fresher weed than me but for 2 hours our floats could be next to each other and I would get the down and his would be untouched. He was a good sport about it, kept laughing and netted a few fish for me. I worked out he wasn't changing his depth enough and trace was too heavy, hopefully he changes it for next trip.

Managed to help another guy catch his first ever fish. His mate and him were bait fishing and could not get a bite, after an hour of no luck and netting a couple of fish for me i loaned him my black fish outfit. Third drift float goes down strikes short fight and a fish in the net. Just undersize blackfish which I made sure went back, but he was happy and posed for a photo with his fish.

After that my wife turned up with the kids, managed one fish with the 18month old sitting on my lap helping to fight the fish before they lost interest.

Then time was up and it was off to the playground with the kids before heading home

post-33784-0-21414200-1439876876_thumb.jpg

Guest 4myson

Great read mate , good on you for getting your young bloke onto a fish ! Teach em while the young !!!

I'll definetly wouldn't be game eating anything out of there yet for a while due to the sewage overflow last week ( maybe that's why the Blackies weren't that hungry ??? )

Edited by 4myson

Thanks for the replies, had no problems with illness, decided botany bay is a big system with only a relatively small overflow compared to the size of the system. I did eat a small piece a few hours before everyone else just as a test.

Always happy to help other anglers where I can.

My young bloke has been born into a fishing family. My dad was taught by his parents, he taught me and my brother and now we and our wives are teaching our kids. It's a real treat anytime the three generations can all fish together.

Thanks for the replies, had no problems with illness, decided botany bay is a big system with only a relatively small overflow compared to the size of the system. I did eat a small piece a few hours before everyone else just as a test.

Always happy to help other anglers where I can.

My young bloke has been born into a fishing family. My dad was taught by his parents, he taught me and my brother and now we and our wives are teaching our kids. It's a real treat anytime the three generations can all fish together.

good shit. Hahahahaha. All good mate. Your game Edited by Groper

Let me start with excellent catch and good on ya for helping someone less fortunate in the fishing department than yourself.

Don't see what the big problem is on eating fish after the big spill. There's very little chance of getting sick from eating the flesh of a fish that is not exposed to that environment on a daily basic. If you were to cook the fish whole, whether it be baked or smoked I'd think twice as you never know what has attached itself to the fish and what ends up on the corner of the plate. The taking of shellfish would be a whole different scenario. Anyway, well done again on your catch and helping someone learn a bit more. If you see another fisho down at Como wharf looking desperate for a fish it's probably me.

Cheers