Choppy day but well worth it!

Herefishyfishy101

Hey Raiders,

Went out for a quick fish today with a mate chasing Kings out of the harbour - and what a day it was!

On the water at 6, cruised around for some slimeys and picked up 8 good sized ones. Struggled to find the squid so made do.

Great school of mackerel between the heads but they were really quick moving and not interested in our lures. Cruised out a bit further and the wind and waves picked up - enough for me to start feeling pretty crook, but not enough to head back in. Dropped a livey down deep and got into a 46cm flattie! First fish I've caught on a livey so pretty chuffed even if it wasn't what I was after. After that nothing for a while so cruised up the coast a bit further. The sounder was showing a few good fish on a reef in 8-10m. My mate put a livey down deep and before he even hit the bottom - wham! Closed the bail arm and the drag went off. 10 mins later and he had 78cm kingfish! Happy days!

2aa5a938cb23adac408e1888ec8d11a8.jpg

I dropped the next one down to the same spot - on the bottom for about 30seconds when the livey went nuts. Wham - I lifted the rod, it's buckling over, drag going, huzzah! Then slack. I've either pulled the hook or he spat the bait but that fish lives to fight another day.

Spent another 20 mins in the spot but lost the last 2 liveys - cut in half (but well below the hook). No idea what would have caused that.

On the bait rod pulled in a legal snapper and red rock cod. Happy days. Snapper was out of water for 6 hours before it landed on my plate - brilliant!

6cf04571c0ed5bfc3a1d992e286c6590.jpg

d344e230ac1efb0f5d520f5c9f0bd7ff.jpg

The wind picked up and it was getting pretty rough (and I was now pretty green) so time to head in. On the way though there was a pod of humpbacks jumping and rolling less than 100m from the boat. That was a pretty amazing experience and the first time I've seen them near the harbour. Too choppy to get good pics but tried my best.

63da57247a6095a2b7391541fbc9dd20.jpg

A great day off work and a great feed to go with it. Will have to try harder with the Kings next time!

Any tips from boaties about preventing seasickness? I go out regularly and this is the first time I've been bad like this. Hope it's not the start of something!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey mate

What a great day plenty of action, and plenty to see, great photos. Nice king ripping drag off always pumps up the energy on the boat.

A day to be envious of.

In regards to your sea sickness, things might be changing for you, mightve been a one off, only time will tell. I used to be able to drink piss all day and be out in 4m swell no problems, then late 20s I got sick for the first time, tried everything, travails, that other one with the weird name, and that et special formula, they all eventually failed but et special formula lasted the longest at a few hours.It made me hatred something I love. Did heaps of research, and now I have a different approach that begins the day before until I get on the boat with no alcohol, no greasy food, no coffee, plenty of water, ginger tablets. And it dosnt stop there.On the boat I'm highly concious about keeping my eyes on my moving surroundings. The problem begins when the inner ear senses the moment of the swell, but your eyes are fixed on something like the boat floor or tying rigs. If I am making rigs, I'm constantly looking up.

My case is a bit extreme, but that's how it happened.

Harry

Hey mate

What a great day plenty of action, and plenty to see, great photos. Nice king ripping drag off always pumps up the energy on the boat.

A day to be envious of.

In regards to your sea sickness, things might be changing for you, mightve been a one off, only time will tell. I used to be able to drink piss all day and be out in 4m swell no problems, then late 20s I got sick for the first time, tried everything, travails, that other one with the weird name, and that et special formula, they all eventually failed but et special formula lasted the longest at a few hours.It made me hatred something I love. Did heaps of research, and now I have a different approach that begins the day before until I get on the boat with no alcohol, no greasy food, no coffee, plenty of water, ginger tablets. And it dosnt stop there.On the boat I'm highly concious about keeping my eyes on my moving surroundings. The problem begins when the inner ear senses the moment of the swell, but your eyes are fixed on something like the boat floor or tying rigs. If I am making rigs, I'm constantly looking up.

My case is a bit extreme, but that's how it happened.

Harry

Fingers crossed that it's a one off. I was good the night before no booze, and nothing too heavy to eat. Will look into the ginger tablets as a start and upgrade to heavier stuff as I need it. Thanks mate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use Travacalm, off the shelf from your local pharmacy. It does however cause a little bit of drowsyness, so i counteract that with raspberry Mother!

I think there's been a number of threads on the site about sea sickness pills.

From what I've read, ET pills seem to be the hype, I've never tried it myself cause I don't think its at all pharmacies. Apparently it has zero side effects.

I use Travacalm, off the shelf from your local pharmacy. It does however cause a little bit of drowsyness, so i counteract that with raspberry Mother!

From what I've read, ET pills seem to be the hype, I've never tried it myself cause I don't think its at all pharmacies. Apparently it has zero side effects.

Yeah I had bought it from a pharmacy in the Shire because it was the only place to get it

Harry

You are right there! This subject has been posted many, many times. Do a search to read about all the weird and wonderful lotions and potions people use ;)

mrsswordfisherman

Nice report and great work by your mate in pulling a kingy in 10m of water.

As for seasickness, just try different remedies until you find one that works for you. Travacalm never worked for me but kwells has been awesome the last 3 trips offshore. Didn't care that I didn't catch any fish, but maybe it was because I didn't burly?