Saturday Frustration & Joy

GoingFishing

Gday Raiders
A late report as ive been a little busy.
Me & Dad planned to fish Saturday and were on the water by 7am heading out from Rose Bay. The plan was to troll some lures from North head sounding out the bottom along the way for any good marks. As i suspected trolling yielded no fruit but on the way back into sydney harbour we came across a football field size boil of salmon swimming shoulder to shoulder mouth open.
From what i read most raiders would not invest too much time chasing the salmon but i really find them to be good sport, especially on very light gear. Over the course of the next hour i threw every lure i had in the box without a touch. very frustrated i was beginning to give up hope. I had a brief flash back to a report that Teflon put up last weekend about the salmon feeding on transparent microbait. I also had echoes of "match the hatch". But how the hell do i match a tiny transparent microbait.
I decided to give up and move on, as i was putting the lure box away i had to move a beginners kmart tackle kit out of the way which i received last XMAS from someone at work. Inside i saw a tiny plastic, it was clear and small, smaller than anything i had..................hmm ? worth a shot? tied on the tiny lure ( the plastic wouldnt even slide over the jighead haha). First cast dad hooked up while i was tying on mine and for the next hour we landed 10 salmon and kept only 6. Not the best eating fish but we ended up having a heap of fun on the light gear.
I guess sometimes price and quality doesnt always score you the fish. lesson learnt.! hope everyone had a good weekend
thanks for reading

post-34022-0-26258300-1444637620_thumb.jpg

post-34022-0-44445800-1444637629_thumb.jpg

Good onya! Glad I cut the one I caught open now!

Glad someone got in on the action... I guess I know my next plastic purchase now!

I think Salmon are a great fight, especially when you can get one to take a popper, watching them chase it and slam it down with a strong run... followed by a bit of acrobatics... Certainly beats catching Bream off a pier...

Great write up mate, you matched the hatch! ;)

Thanks all for your comments , I'm glad it made it for an entertaining read and hopefully everyone can get Into some more salmon this weekend !

The information share on this site is priceless, and that kmart beginners kit has been sitting there untouched since last Xmas haha ! I honestly would never have thought to use a plastic like that without having prior read Eds report

I have to add it wasn't easy to get close to casting range as I could only get a 6-8m cast as the jig head was so small and light, made for some tricky fishing trying not to send the salmon down deep

Great work mate! That's what fishing is all about, adapting to what's in front of you! The information sharing on this site is priceless. It's not just about placing a report, it's also about reading the experiences shared by others. I'm glad you and your dad ended up with a great day! Well done :)

Cheers scratchie!!!

Now that's the way its supposed to work!

Well done Ed for identifying the hatch and also to GoingFishing for matching it on the water.

I have been trying a number of sp's but haven't found one that gets hit enough to call a winner.

I will give this one a try.

BTW, these are the two flies that I seem to have most success with.

( Not the black one at the bottom... never caught anything with that!)

post-32937-0-03802300-1444727154_thumb.jpg

Edited by fragmeister