Long Reef - Friday 30/10/15

fragmeister

Hi Raiders,

Was going to 12 mile this morning as the swell and wind were nice and low.

Woke up a little late so I decided to make it Long Reef instead.

I hitched up the boat and headed to the ramp to find 4 blokes in a ute on the ramp (no trailer).

Turns out someone had stolen their trailer and the had no way of getting their boat home.

That was the Rydalmere boat ramp.

Headed off into the harbour and picked up some live bait. There was very little wind and about a one meter swell. Water temp was 20.5

Just outside North Head there were, yet again, big schools of salmon surface feeding so I tossed a very small clear SP at the boils and picked one up on the first cast. I let him go and then reminded myself of my intended destination and headed back off.

I got to Long Reef in no time and at all and found some promising marks on the sounder in about 20 meters, I put our a live yakka on a float, started a burley trail will pillies and then dropped half a pilli into the trail. No sooner has I done that and the live bait balloon started looking like it had a nervous yakka underneath it. A few seconds later it was smashed on the surface by a king. He had plenty of fight in him but he was only 55cm.

I set out another yakka under a float. I like doing it this way because even in a gentle breeze you can let out line and the wind will push the balloon away from the boat so it doesn't get in the way and the yakka won't swim under your boat to get into cover. I then use a second rod directly under the boat with a squid strip.

Very shortly after I had a hit on the half pilchard. The bail arm was still open and line was peeling off the spool.. I doubt the fish new it was hooked so I closed the bail arm and took up the slack. Just a few seconds later the livey took off again so I had a double hookup happening.

The live rig felt like a better fish so I let the other fight itself and talked the better fish.

Well the better fish turned out to be another rat which I landed and quickly released. Back to the second fish... just another small king.

The action died down as quickly as it started and I was joined by half a dozen other boats. There were a couple of guys with fly rods and I noticed there were salmon boils here as swell. I spoke to a couple of other guys and rat kings were all they got too.

There were plenty of marks on the sounder of very large schools of larger fish between the 5 and 10 meter depth. I suspected they were salmon but I did pull out a few 40cm trevally and hear a boat close to me hootin' & hollerin' about catching the biggest trevally they had ever seen.

I stayed for the change of the tide in case the action picked up. I did a few very slow trolls but didn't pick up any more.

So, my take on Longy today is rats kings, salmon and trevally. Perhaps 12 Mile would have been better.

Good luck on the weekend boys.

Jim - no bait around, the water dropped about 1c throughout the week. We couldn't find the warm water today... 20.5 outside the heads to 19.9 on the shelf with no bait around.

Hi Raiders,

Was going to 12 mile this morning as the swell and wind were nice and low.

Woke up a little late so I decided to make it Long Reef instead.

I hitched up the boat and headed to the ramp to find 4 blokes in a ute on the ramp (no trailer).

Turns out someone had stolen their trailer and the had no way of getting their boat home.

That was the Rydalmere boat ramp.

Headed off into the harbour and picked up some live bait. There was very little wind and about a one meter swell. Water temp was 20.5

Just outside North Head there were, yet again, big schools of salmon surface feeding so I tossed a very small clear SP at the boils and picked one up on the first cast. I let him go and then reminded myself of my intended destination and headed back off.

I got to Long Reef in no time and at all and found some promising marks on the sounder in about 20 meters, I put our a live yakka on a float, started a burley trail will pillies and then dropped half a pilli into the trail. No sooner has I done that and the live bait balloon started looking like it had a nervous yakka underneath it. A few seconds later it was smashed on the surface by a king. He had plenty of fight in him but he was only 55cm.

I set out another yakka under a float. I like doing it this way because even in a gentle breeze you can let out line and the wind will push the balloon away from the boat so it doesn't get in the way and the yakka won't swim under your boat to get into cover. I then use a second rod directly under the boat with a squid strip.

Very shortly after I had a hit on the half pilchard. The bail arm was still open and line was peeling off the spool.. I doubt the fish new it was hooked so I closed the bail arm and took up the slack. Just a few seconds later the livey took off again so I had a double hookup happening.

The live rig felt like a better fish so I let the other fight itself and talked the better fish.

Well the better fish turned out to be another rat which I landed and quickly released. Back to the second fish... just another small king.

The action died down as quickly as it started and I was joined by half a dozen other boats. There were a couple of guys with fly rods and I noticed there were salmon boils here as swell. I spoke to a couple of other guys and rat kings were all they got too.

There were plenty of marks on the sounder of very large schools of larger fish between the 5 and 10 meter depth. I suspected they were salmon but I did pull out a few 40cm trevally and hear a boat close to me hootin' & hollerin' about catching the biggest trevally they had ever seen.

I stayed for the change of the tide in case the action picked up. I did a few very slow trolls but didn't pick up any more.

So, my take on Longy today is rats kings, salmon and trevally. Perhaps 12 Mile would have been better.

Good luck on the weekend boys.

Better luck next Mate, thats the biggest Plus, theres always next time

Jim - no bait around, the water dropped about 1c throughout the week. We couldn't find the warm water today... 20.5 outside the heads to 19.9 on the shelf with no bait around.

That fits Ed. Didn't see an bait schools to mention on the reef but the size of the salmon/trevally schools were huge.

• 2 weeks later...

What on earth would you do if you came in and some gentle soul had stolen your trailer. What do you do with your boat?

Good question.

I have thought about this and decided if my trailer was stolen I would take the boat to the closest marina, let them know what happened and negotiate some temporay storage untilI could get a replacement trailer.

• 1 year later...

Was just reading through this old post. Great report! Hope we can see more like it. 
I'm eagerly waiting my upgrade from 2-stroke to 4-stroke to take place this week and will be heading straight to Long Reef.