Port Hacking

Yowie

Fished Yowie Bay early this morning, back a bit from the mouth.

A few little reddies and that was it, not a decent bite at all, no yakkas either. Used a variety of baits and burley, but nothing there in the burley trail, other than little reddies.

Was thinking I was going home with no fish :ranting2: , so had a cast of a lure near Lilli Pilli. A couple of salmon hitting up the tiny baitfish, but no hits on the lure, and no tailor to be seen.

Decided to have a go for a flatty as a last resort. Tide was too high to pump nippers (have seen a couple of people at various times standing waist deep pumping nippers, not for me though) so used the Squidgy paddle tail on the brag mat for the flatties. Some flatty fillets will go down well, considering I was looking at nothing at all.

post-13153-0-86373200-1448327294_thumb.jpg

Edited by yowie

Hi Yowie,

Glad that you managed a feed after putting in the efforts.

It would have been a nice morning to be out on the hacking.

Regards,

Nathan

It was a nice morning out there, but, the fishing is up and down at present. The tailor that were about last month have been very quiet, the reddies are rather small, and there are some whiting and bream scooting about the sand flats, but most look undersize. There are a few schools of whitebait here and there, but nothing appears to be having a go, apart from the odd salmon.

In previous years, I have found the fishing can go quiet in the Port around this time of year.

Dave.

Flathead aren't the best fighting fish but they sure are great on the table ! Well done Yowie

Is this the calm before the storm ?

The fishing will pick up, but the influx of speed boats over Christmas does not help.

I fish for the flatties with 6 pound mono in the shallow water, using lures and nippers, and when a flattie around the 50 to 60 cm mark, or bigger, grabs the bait or lure in shallow water, they can put on quite a bit of speed. A much better fight at times than those caught in the deeper water.

i was out saturday morning, only landed 1 squid. no yellow tail or kingies in a burley trail. all other boats said they caught nothing legal..

sad weekend

After the lunatic boaties go back to school, or work, at the end of January, the fishing will be much better.

I'd call that a good bag mate! Flatties are right up there for me. What's your preference with table fish?

Blue spot and tiger flatties, whiting, garfish, reddies, boarfish (from Victoria), spotted mackerel (caught one in Port Hacking 10 or so years ago, excellent eating), tailor (around the 35 to 40 cm mark) kingfish from Lord Howe Island (better tasting than those caught here), flounder.

Hey all,

I fished Port Hacking last week and managed some good bream.

Got some whiting and flatties as well.

I usually catch and release, but these 2 went home in the esky.

Got 1 on Thursday and 1 on Friday, both on the first 1-2 hours of the run out just after high tide.

post-35819-0-68957300-1448417537_thumb.jpgpost-35819-0-45493700-1448417790_thumb.jpg

Hey all,

I fished Port Hacking last week and managed some good bream.

Got some whiting and flatties as well.

I usually catch and release, but these 2 went home in the esky.

Got 1 on Thursday and 1 on Friday, both on the first 1-2 hours of the run out just after high tide.

attachicon.gifPH_Bream_1.jpgattachicon.gifPH_Bream_2.jpg

Wow, that's a monster bream!! Biggest I've seen from the Hacking. Nice work!

Fished Yowie Bay early this morning, back a bit from the mouth.

A few little reddies and that was it, not a decent bite at all, no yakkas either. Used a variety of baits and burley, but nothing there in the burley trail, other than little reddies.

Was thinking I was going home with no fish :ranting2: , so had a cast of a lure near Lilli Pilli. A couple of salmon hitting up the tiny baitfish, but no hits on the lure, and no tailor to be seen.

Decided to have a go for a flatty as a last resort. Tide was too high to pump nippers (have seen a couple of people at various times standing waist deep pumping nippers, not for me though) so used the Squidgy paddle tail on the brag mat for the flatties. Some flatty fillets will go down well, considering I was looking at nothing at all.

did well mate, when the hacking, botany and harbour shut down its hard to get a feed at all,