Ugly One. (Striate Anglerfish.)

Fishing_Maniac

Question

Hi guys,

Headed out for kingfish this morning, didn't end up getting the target species (although mitchie almost hooked up).

I did however hook this ugly looking thing. It decided to have a go at a yakka bigger than itself! Anyone have any idea what species it is?

James

bab02e0bcfe1ae37b0b6dd546cbde140.jpgbbe9fe5a13115681bf57803d738578fe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Fishing_Maniac

Yesterday I received a reply. We are now logged with an official Australian Museum Enquiry number from the Search and Discover team. Just a waiting game now.

Another member pm'd me to suggest Taronga Park Zoo as another helpful organisation. I have emailed them as well.

We had a young schoolboy on here many years ago who was very interested in fish ID. He is the reason I added this section to our forum. He used to post a picture of a fish and then ask for members to name it, both scientific name and general. It was fun to research and Blackfish I reckon you could do this for us if you have time :) or anyone else who would like to try.

The young schoolboy messaged me recently after a long absence and here is what he has achieved - I've actually finished a couple of degrees... with maybe a third to come... Did my Bachelor of Science (Adv) (Hons) majoring in biology at USyd. I've also just finished my Masters of Teaching at UNSW. Been working at Wild Life Sydney Zoo and Sydney Aquarium for about 3.5 years now; also teaching Zoology and Animal Physiology to undergrads.

Here is the answer from the museum - do we have any more pics James?

Dear Donna,

Thank you for your enquiry. I sent your images to our Ichthyology Collection Manager, Mark McGrouther for identification.

Please see Mark's response below:

The fish is definitely an anglerfish, family Antennariidae.

It’s a bit hard to say which species it is because I can’t see the lure (first dorsal spine) properly.

Would you mind contacting Donna and asking if there are any other images.

A confirmation on the location at which the fish was caught would also be very useful.

Sorry I can’t give you a positive answer straight away.

Cheers,

Mark

Here is the answer from the museum - do we have any more pics James?

Dear Donna,

Thank you for your enquiry. I sent your images to our Ichthyology Collection Manager, Mark McGrouther for identification.

Please see Mark's response below:

The fish is definitely an anglerfish, family Antennariidae.

It’s a bit hard to say which species it is because I can’t see the lure (first dorsal spine) properly.

Would you mind contacting Donna and asking if there are any other images.

A confirmation on the location at which the fish was caught would also be very useful.

Sorry I can’t give you a positive answer straight away.

Cheers,

Mark

Managed to find another picture. Here it is

f2ba8af8ef9be34cbfc873d28105e92b.jpg

Seeing as NaCIH2OK9 has had a go, I'll have a guess, note guess, Striate Anglerfish"Antennarius striates

Thats if those bumps over the skin are filaments. :)

Gordon, I will be referring to you as "The Professor"

Well done.

James, submit this into the records section - well done a new species for our collection