sydney cobe

Krispy !

hey raiders went for a flick this arvo on the harbour just using little 3 inch power baits , not much happening aside from a lot of 25cm snapper then something a bit better jumped on, pulled abit of string on my 1000 stradic and 6lb but eventually it tired out and started to swim with me. I thought I had a little shark as it came up but then did a double take and realised it was a cobia. had to walk it around to a safe spot where I could reach down and grab it because it wasn't hooked very well but eventually landed it. The last one I caught was 5 years ago and it tasted great so this one came home as well, it went 59cm.

post-11865-0-41975700-1454836412_thumb.jpg

We caught some decent cobia off South west rocks some years ago and they were sensational eating. In fact I put them above Spanish mackerel but not as fishy. The kids loved them as well. Cut into cubes, flour salt and pepper and then shallower fried sensational.

Cheers Capt Ahab

Unreal mate, always pulling in some good fish. Good stuff

Thanks mate :)

A rare catch ! Well done

I've never caught nor eaten cobia - how are they on the table ? Any fish u can compare them to?

Theyre right up there with the best mate, similar to kingfish

We caught some decent cobia off South west rocks some years ago and they were sensational eating. In fact I put them above Spanish mackerel but not as fishy. The kids loved them as well. Cut into cubes, flour salt and pepper and then shallower fried sensational.

Cheers Capt Ahab

Yup theyre great eating

It's funny looking a bit pale lol. Rare catch I'd be stoked with that!

It was normal colouration before it died, then it went pale

Gotta be pretty happy with that catch.Well done

thanks matea yeah i was stoked

I'm going to admit I had to do a double check for size limit.

Very well done. That's got to be a rare catch off Sydney.

Thanks mate theyre pretty rare but every summer a few of them come down, my last one caught here in syd was in 2010. No size limit for them in NSW only a baglimit of 5 :)

well done mate

Thanks Bas!

Good work Krispy, should make for a couple of nice fillets.

Thanks yowie, it sure did :)

never seen one so pale? i wonder if water temp does that? well done cobes sure go hard.

No its colouration was normal when i caught it but after it died it went pale.